Brausepaul
Sergeant

Naming of provinces

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi,

I just saw the new screenshots over at Matrixgames and I have to say that I'm looking forward to playing this game. What strikes me odd is the naming of provinces: I've seen "Ost Preussen", "West Preussen" and "Ost Pommern". I take it that you want to avoid German umlauts like ä, ö, ü or ß (btw, why? I've seen "Elbemünde"). In this case "Ostpreussen", "Westpreussen" etc. would suit better, IMHO.

Btw, "Wechsel" seems to be a misspelling, correct is "Weichsel". You seem to flip-flop with Wisla (I'm lacking the Polish letter here) anyway. I admit that this subject can get touchy.

Oh, another one: "Wolfsburg" doesn't exist in 1914. If you need a name for that area "Fallersleben" will fit.

Ace

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:31 pm

Brausepaul wrote:Hi,
I take it that you want to avoid German umlauts like ä, ö, ü or ß (btw, why? I've seen "Elbemünde").

Umlauts will display properly on some computers, while on some they will not. I am sure that is the reason they avoided them. It is the same with French and Slav provinces. No special characters because of compatibility issues.

Brausepaul
Sergeant

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:40 pm

But it that case "Elbmünde" wouldn't make sense. Would be nice to hear if they decided on a general approach.

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Ace wrote:Umlauts will display properly on some computers, while on some they will not. I am sure that is the reason they avoided them. It is the same with French and Slav provinces. No special characters because of compatibility issues.

This should not be a problem in the 21st century.

Nobody should use 8-bit character mappings any more.

Ace

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:37 pm

I am not sure I understand you. I thought it is a regional settings windows font issue.

Brausepaul
Sergeant

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:14 pm

So, does anyone know if province names and the like can be changed / nodded? Would it make sense to submit bug reports or its the map set in stone as is?

Owl
Major

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:29 pm

You can rename cities and regions on the map. Editing text that is on the map itself as part of the graphics files is a different issue however, as it would require you to edit the actual map graphics instead of editing the LocalString.csv text file.

Brausepaul
Sergeant

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Did I write nodded?! Modded that is. Thanks for the answer, I guess one will have to take a look after release to smoothen the overall appearance.

Brausepaul
Sergeant

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:24 am

Owl, I take it that the specific file is LocalStrings_EAW.csv? If I have correction, what is the best way to report them?

I changed "Osnabrueck" to "Osnabrück" resulting in a renamed province. The small sign at the map remained unchanged. I take it that it is not possible to edit this text string as well?

Owl
Major

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:26 am

Yes, that would be LocalStrings_EAW.csv. Your best bet would be to open a thread in the Help Improve EAW forum imho, so you can maintain a list of names that ought to be changed. If the text is like "Ost Preussen" on the map, it cannot be changed I fear, as it is a graphic, not a string text. If there were a province called "Ost Preussen", you could of course rename it through the .csv file.

Templer
General

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Erik Springelkamp wrote:This should not be a problem in the 21st century.

Nobody should use 8-bit character mappings any more.
:thumbsup:

So fix this issue please... :love:
Greetings
Templer

Return to “To End All Wars”