Person of Interest

Wed May 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Ironclad61 wrote:I see, lets see how works the naval warfare but this is maybe the only area where as german you can win more than you can lose in the use of your warships.

This is one of the best examples of "gamy" situation in a WWI title but a gamy situation for both sides, a russian player and an Ottoman player (alone both not controled as secondary with other nations) really dont try nothing in Caucasus because both know win something is very hard and they need resources in other areas (specially Ottomans until they find the entente area where try engage them) but even if you force both sides fight in Caucasus... dont expect this be a main action area even the biggest penalty is going to be lower than an attack in the horrible terrain in Caucasus.

The question for me is how eat resources static fronts, unlike other AGEOD games i have here a province that has troops from 2 diferent sides (even when there is not a battle and both are in defensive postures) needs in WWI offer all the time a continous casualty increase think in 2 weeks how many patrols, bombardements, air attacks etc etc are in an area with no clear owner... you know, you dont need fight to win terrain to suffer loses, hold terrain agains another defensive enemy not only have disease casualties.

I think the Historical Attrition option could depict this daily toll on the frontline soldiers from simple injuries to sickness as well as the constant patrolling and trench raids. They might need to tweak it a bit.

Ironclad61
Major

Wed May 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Well the problem for me is that attrition in AGEOD games is more to cover the supply problems... and how affect weather over armies from other eras, WWI have both things to but in a diferent way, here i think they suffer more casualties by recon missions and bombing/arty attacks maybe we can talk a bout 2 types of casualties, one to life in unhealthy conditions and other to do it in a combat area and not allways the first thing is present, think in how armies rotate units in front or areas where the living conditions were better (is not the same east front than west front with shorter supply lines or with more static fronts).

Another question i have about static fronts is in relation to rotation of units in front line... how it works??? if the static front is based in the units dug-in level this for me means that if you move a new unit to the area it needs time to be in dug-in status... or if you add an unit to a "static front area" the unit has automatically the level of digging-in of the worst unit in the area??? apart this ... if you break a defensive line you attack but enemy defeat you when you return to the start area... you have a bonus in defensive??? you know, trenches dont disapear when you leave them but in game you dont have trenches as a terrain "construction".

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Wed May 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Will this be based on the AGE 2 engine, or on the PON AGE 3 engine?

Altaris

Thu May 29, 2014 12:15 am

It is based on the AGE 2 engine.

Respenus

Thu May 29, 2014 11:51 am

Well, this is a more than pleasant surprise. I intended to start a game of WWI Gold in the honour of the anniversary, but with EAW on the horizon, I might as well wait a while longer and give this a go when it comes out.

The only thing more exciting would be a Napoleon's Campaigns 2. ;)

marek1978
Colonel

Thu May 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Respenus wrote:Well, this is a more than pleasant surprise. I intended to start a game of WWI Gold in the honour of the anniversary, but with EAW on the horizon, I might as well wait a while longer and give this a go when it comes out.

The only thing more exciting would be a Napoleon's Campaigns 2. ;)

With loads of economy and politics hopefully :)
and maybe extendent to the periiod od 1689 -1815.... :)

Person of Interest

Thu May 29, 2014 2:47 pm

marek1978 wrote:With loads of economy and politics hopefully :)
and maybe extendent to the periiod od 1689 -1815.... :)

Yes and with weekly turns! :thumbsup:

Matto
Colonel

Thu May 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Would be EAW only one week turns? I think it would be better ... two weeks is PON turn period, but PON has another scale ...
Napoleon days in Austerlitz 2011 - photo gallery
My Czech pages agout AGEOD: AGEOD games, RoP AAR - Prussian side
My AGEOD games: WoN, TYW, EAW, CW2, AJE, PoN, NCP, ROP Gold, RUS Gold and BOA2

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Thu May 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Napoleon's Campaigns 2 would be fantastic! If it was made into a true grand strategy ala Pride of Nations (economy/diplomacy) and not just warfare, it would be truly a thing of beauty, as not too many developers have done this period well with all of these factors (which I understand, given the period's focus on war). But, something along the lines of Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition in terms of economics, diplomacy, naval combat, for the Napoleonic period, even if just limited to Europe, would be greatness.

Eagerly hoping for this...

MarshalJean

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Thu May 29, 2014 5:56 pm

It is true that NCP 2 and a "WW1 game" have been my long term hopes for this engine. I am really glad WW1 is finally coming, but I would not be so sure with NCP 2. First it needs to be clarified if Ageod can make such games at all (think of their Paradox title that was also called NCP).

By the way, Sengoku Jidai and 30 Years War are still missing in this series :) Both would be amazing ..

Ironclad61
Major

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Well, until they find how made game deal with multiple nations ....

Apart this engine needs a feature to transfer armies to other nations, i think engine needs cover this, you can select your troops and set them to be commanded by an allied nation, you pay a % of the unit supply and rest for the nation control it.

Ummm any new info about WWI title??? maybe some change in air war??? in WWI the airwar was not a small thing in number of planes...

Person of Interest

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Ironclad61 wrote:Well, until they find how made game deal with multiple nations ....

Apart this engine needs a feature to transfer armies to other nations, i think engine needs cover this, you can select your troops and set them to be commanded by an allied nation, you pay a % of the unit supply and rest for the nation control it.

Ummm any new info about WWI title??? maybe some change in air war??? in WWI the airwar was not a small thing in number of planes...

Yeah the system that is used in RUS worked ok for the very limited use of airplanes but EAW will need a much more robust system. Can't wait to blitz London with zeppelins! :bonk:

Christophe.Barot

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Ironclad61 wrote:Well, the Italy situation was very special... on the paper they were part of Triple Alliance, in reality they play an ambush role waiting to join the winning side in war...

this was recognized "officially" (inside German high circles, not in official talks with Italy) by German official headquarters, following an assessment of Italian military, the Morocco - Lybia deal with France (backed by Britain) of 1902 (1903 ? ) and the Tacconigi agreement with Russia, that "military value of Italy in our alliance is absolutely nil ! we can't absoolutely expect any offensive move against France ever - we can only be lucky having Frnech kept guessing and keeping some forces in the Alps but even that is unlikely - only utility of keeping them into our alliance is preventing them from attacking our Austrian allies" - in a confidential (then) report of German military shortly before war (from memory, 1912)

one can hardly say it was a surprise for German Headquarters, who kept no illusions

else very happy to see this gem will soon be out (while I need to find time to play it ;-) - some commitments) congrats to AGEOD and especially TEW team

where can pictures and more details be found (if already)
[color="#FF0000"]- (ordnance) Your Lordship, sorry to awake you, but The french are at our door !

- Alarm, alarm, how did you let this happen and not awake me ! repel them, counterattack at once !

- err, your Lordship, ahem... French are our allies, Marshal de St Arnaud is expected to attend to a conference with you !

- ahem, well, .... very well ..let them in !

(charge of the light brigade movie)
[/color]

Person of Interest

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Christophe.Barot wrote:
where can pictures and more details be found (if already)

The Matrix website has a product page with a little bit of info.

Ironclad61
Major

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:49 am

Well, Italy value in WWI for central powers was for me 2 things.

1-prevent AH had another front to cover, in the end Italy front was another pit for their reduced resources.
2-give to the central powers a chance to split the entente navies and fight for the mediterranean even when Italy be neutral at least block AH navy could be a little harder.

Air war is going to be very interesting because you have a lot of air units to do all kind of missions... and you cant leave enemy win air over your troops to have a chance to surprise him and of course dont be surprised.

Charles
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Be interested also to see how the Air War is handled, including the rapid change in technology from 1914 to 1918.

On the Air War itself, although the dogfights and Aces are glamorous, most of the impact of the air war was tactical, the side with air superiority had better intelligence on what their opponent was doing and could call in more accurate artillery fire. Most air superiority missions were focused on shooting down the enemy's recon/observer ACs or protecting their own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

igor7111
Captain

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:20 pm

I've been waiting for this for a very long time and am very excited about this project. I was hoping PON would be more viable for WWI but I love the Civil War 2 system and really, seriously, can't wait for this. A dream come true.....well, except for my sweetie of course :)

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Charles wrote:Be interested also to see how the Air War is handled, including the rapid change in technology from 1914 to 1918.

On the Air War itself, although the dogfights and Aces are glamorous, most of the impact of the air war was tactical, the side with air superiority had better intelligence on what their opponent was doing and could call in more accurate artillery fire. Most air superiority missions were focused on shooting down the enemy's recon/observer ACs or protecting their own.

The most important (but not the only) role of the British was artillery support, and on the German side, to shoot down the spotters.
The Germans operated more (safely) behind the front, while the British had a rather unglamorous task of artillery spotting, which made them target for German fighters. That explains the higher air victory rate, the Germans were operating more defensively. I don't know about the French, could be a bit different.
Also, I remember that the British+French outnumbered the German air force for most of the war.

Altaris

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:02 am

The air model is essentially the same as the one in RUS, though there are more air units available. The air combat is fairly simple and straight-forward, but it's there. Air superiority is important, as air units are the only ones which can reliably report enemy strength, and this is absolutely crucial to determining where to strike (or not strike), especially on the Western Front.

Ironclad61
Major

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks for the info, but... we are going to see a lot of air units or we can create an "air army"??? i refer like land armies we can have an air army to have the air units better controlled (and prevent miss if x infantry army/corp has air support) maybe my idea is see air units out of land forces to have them more visible.

Well, the point in west front was how west allies need attack germans, they have a lot more planes (around... 2 times ) and wind force them be over german positions (wind in front was more west-east) and return to their bases were more complicated.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/statistics.php

OFF-TOPIC: one of my dreams is see a wargame covering the air war in west front from 1915-1918 at operational level, control research, producion, training, creation of units... with WEGO and week or 2 weeks turns you give orders to the air units and they fight under them.

Pocus

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:35 pm

A significant improvement though is that now the missions can go up to a range of 3 regions away, not just adjacent.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Kensai

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:37 pm

A great many new screenshots. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

I really wanna see the edges of the main map. For example: could there be alternate reality campaigning in Northern Africa? If France loses, but England does not capitulate, will Germany be able to invade the British Isles? I am not so much interested in these options per se, but want to know the limits of the engine and the scripted events.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Person of Interest

Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Great screenshots Kensai! Thanks. The battle planner looks very interesting.

Ironclad61
Major

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 am

Thanks for the link.

Game looks great, i find air units big... you have replacements by squadron no??? but my main question if what point of control you are going to have over air production and investigation.

I notice the C nation in units list... maybe Co-belligerence nations go here???

Mine war... great see it but i expect these things be controled by regional decisions or i am wrong???

The amount of boxes for Africa is :bonk:

Lets see how they move hehehe.

paulk205
Conscript

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:00 pm

How is the U-boat campaign/blockade of the CPs handled?

Ironclad61
Major

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:13 pm

Maybe i miss in images more AH and Ottoman images... something i need ask, how hard is play the central powers with 2 players??? i refer one player control Germany and AH save after play his part and send file to the ottoman player, i dont know how is the level of control in the Ottoman side in the part of military and political decisions.

Thanks.

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Kensai wrote:A great many new screenshots. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

I really wanna see the edges of the main map. For example: could there be alternate reality campaigning in Northern Africa? If France loses, but England does not capitulate, will Germany be able to invade the British Isles? I am not so much interested in these options per se, but want to know the limits of the engine and the scripted events.

Fantastic screenshots! I was not prepared for the greatness of seeing the ability to choose tactical formations before a battle! :w00t:

I'm very much looking forward to this game! And I'm hoping even more that such tactical mechanics could be incorporated into a new Napoleon's Campaigns 2. :thumbsup:

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Very very nice, I like the look of the game. Also interesting to see that you have thought of new features like sea mines.

Altaris

Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:14 am

GlobalExplorer wrote:Very very nice, I like the look of the game. Also interesting to see that you have thought of new features like sea mines.

The naval mines are very cool. They are implemented by Map Aleas, so any time an enemy ship enters the zone, it is likely to take mine hits. They aren't totally crippling, but they really weaken a naval force and make it very susceptible to counter-attack by a defending "fleet in being".

Altaris

Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:19 am

Ironclad61 wrote:Maybe i miss in images more AH and Ottoman images... something i need ask, how hard is play the central powers with 2 players??? i refer one player control Germany and AH save after play his part and send file to the ottoman player, i dont know how is the level of control in the Ottoman side in the part of military and political decisions.

Thanks.

I don't see why this would be a problem, though it would require passing the files around a bit, and technically the player loading the Central Powers would be able to control any of the Central Powers units, so this would require some good understanding between the sharing players.

One thing to keep in mind though, and a large reason we opted for the sides to be split as they are, nations like the Ottoman Empire don't have that much to do during significant chunks of the game. At times they may be very active, but there's also going to be lulls in the action. Austria-Hungary was included on the same side as the Germans, because German support is crucial at times to their survival (and if A/H falls, Germany won't be able to last long on its own).

I am currently playing a beta game as the Central Powers, and as an example, my turns are spent with roughly 75% of my time devoted to the German units, about 20% to the Austro-Hungarians, and only about 5% towards the Ottomans (they are mostly trying to hold a defensive line against the British).

Return to “To End All Wars”