HerrDan

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:29 am

Altaris wrote:I don't see why this would be a problem, though it would require passing the files around a bit, and technically the player loading the Central Powers would be able to control any of the Central Powers units, so this would require some good understanding between the sharing players.

One thing to keep in mind though, and a large reason we opted for the sides to be split as they are, nations like the Ottoman Empire don't have that much to do during significant chunks of the game. At times they may be very active, but there's also going to be lulls in the action. Austria-Hungary was included on the same side as the Germans, because German support is crucial at times to their survival (and if A/H falls, Germany won't be able to last long on its own).

I am currently playing a beta game as the Central Powers, and as an example, my turns are spent with roughly 75% of my time devoted to the German units, about 20% to the Austro-Hungarians, and only about 5% towards the Ottomans (they are mostly trying to hold a defensive line against the British).

Omg I just can't wait to play this game, after I finish my PON campaign and AAR! A question I have though is: will it be much heavier than PON? I'm needing to update my computer, but as it's still good to play PON I didn't care totake any action towards getting another, but a pc that is able to play PON would be able to play EAW as well?

Ebbingford

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:47 am

Yes :thumbsup:
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Shri

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:27 am

Christophe.Barot wrote:this was recognized "officially" (inside German high circles, not in official talks with Italy) by German official headquarters, following an assessment of Italian military, the Morocco - Lybia deal with France (backed by Britain) of 1902 (1903 ? ) and the Tacconigi agreement with Russia, that "military value of Italy in our alliance is absolutely nil ! we can't absoolutely expect any offensive move against France ever - we can only be lucky having Frnech kept guessing and keeping some forces in the Alps but even that is unlikely - only utility of keeping them into our alliance is preventing them from attacking our Austrian allies" - in a confidential (then) report of German military shortly before war (from memory, 1912)

one can hardly say it was a surprise for German Headquarters, who kept no illusions

else very happy to see this gem will soon be out (while I need to find time to play it ;-) - some commitments) congrats to AGEOD and especially TEW team

where can pictures and more details be found (if already)

German General Staff was dry, even cynical; the head of intelligence once remarked- Austria has the worst army in Europe, someone remarked what about Rumania? He answered- Well, Austrians do need to be able to beat someone. Proved right in hindsight.
Also in regards to Italy they had a poor opinion of the army and right so.
They thought not too good about the French but thought too much about Russian numbers. Not so right here.
Thought a lot of RN navy- rightly so, but not too much about Royal Army- wrong here.

Ironclad61
Major

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks for the reply Altaris.

Well, i know that control Ottomans is not intense as control Germany but for me is interesting because allways you can explore what ifs (like germany holding in west and use resources in east and seconary fronts) and you can have the human factor inside strange alliances, many times one nation fight for X and his allies for total diferent objetives.

My question was more in the line if i can control ottomans inside the central powers turn with control over political decisions and production... i dont see rare a 2 VS 2 game one controlling germans and other with AH and ottomans if is possible with not great problems.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:39 pm

Altaris wrote:I don't see why this would be a problem, though it would require passing the files around a bit, and technically the player loading the Central Powers would be able to control any of the Central Powers units, so this would require some good understanding between the sharing players.....

you could certainly convert Rise of Prussia to multi-player (even before the gold version) by doing this, just meant the side with a split control had to be quite disciplined over the creation of the turn and for the 'first' person not to claim all the replacements etc

but I think the basic logic of bundling the Central Powers together sounds the most sensible. The only power with a serious decision to make about which theatre to prioritise is Germany

anyway, as with others, really looking forward to this ...
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Shri

Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:50 pm

i have a question for the DEVS-

Already you have a WW1-Gold game developed by Calvinus and Phillipe. ( i am a customer of it), now that game is being discontinued and this is being promoted but will certain good features of it be retained??-

Eg:- Art (general), Heavy Art (siege) and Fortress Art (Fixed)
Poison Gas
Austrian Empire's peculiar problem with - Kaiser Tru and non-Kaiser Tru troops (eg: Slavs on Russian/Rumanian Front)
Mutinies in Russian, Austrian, French and Italian as also rebellion in Ottoman province (Lawrence and Arab revolt)
Quality of troops being - Excellent (Germany and UK), Good (France), Above Average (Russia and AH), Average (Ottoman, Serbia and Bulgaria) and Bad (Rest); with USA being somewhere between France and Germany.
Korps system based on historic Korps mobilised.
German East Africa getting Lettow-Vorbeck boost.
Overall German colonials being small in number but much more tougher and difficult to dislodge, not an easy walkover for UK/France. Though Germany attacking in colonies is extremely limited by chance and choice.
Weather and Terrain issues all over map.
U-Boat for Germany and Austria against UK causing loss of NM for UK
Blockade by UK against Germany
Diplomacy allowing some amount of aid if friendly for Germany from Scandinavia and Netherlands.
USA being slow but sure towards entente but difficult before 1917.
Italy not in war in 1914 and Rumania not in 1914, 1915.
Ottoman and Bulgaria being pro-CPs, Rumania being split (German King) and so is Greece (German King).
Canadians and Anzacs providing very less but high quality infantry.
etc.

wosung

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:20 pm

I bet so. Just look at the screenshots. Map, esp. extra-European boxes, mines, etc. Plus, Altaris started this as a mod combining RUS and WW1 Gold.
Looks like a sound evolution.

elxaime
General

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 pm

New game looks great and I certainly plan to buy. BUT...

...I hope this new start is also a chance to revisit the retreat algorithms. In AGEOD PBEM games, all too often a defeated force will ignore an obvious retreat route down its line of communication, towards friendly units, etc. and instead plunge off unsupplied into a swamp, mountain range or even towards the enemy capital. I understand this is due to how Athena works. If a different coding could be used for PBEM.

Or perhaps even add a new feature whereby a player can give a stack a retreat direction preference through orders, and they will follow this if they have to retreat, unless it becomes impossible.

Kensai

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:57 am

When you retreat in a lost battle, it is usually a decision of fortune (ordered, panic, etc are abstracted). The decision WHERE to retreat is made by probabilities, the algorithm was shown in the past and it can be seen in the Logic file of every AGEOD game. If I recall the probabilities correctly, there is a huge preponderance to retreat in a friendly region with high MC. The chance that you see your armed forces retreat to foreign territory, let alone the capital of the enemy which will have a high percentage of his own military control is very remote.

Do you suggest it happens too often? I personally rarely see it, but I always tend to keep my back lines open for retreat paths anyway.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Ironclad61
Major

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Ummm is an interesting point, i allways think that one way to prevent this is made units retreat to the HQ... specially in a WWI where HQs are always in rear areas that you dont want see invaded... apart units near a HQ recover faster no???

Main question is... 28th release or we wait until august??? :thumbsup:

Person of Interest

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:47 pm

I just hope the release is not until November. :cuit:

Jim-NC

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Kensai wrote:When you retreat in a lost battle, it is usually a decision of fortune (ordered, panic, etc are abstracted). The decision WHERE to retreat is made by probabilities, the algorithm was shown in the past and it can be seen in the Logic file of every AGEOD game. If I recall the probabilities correctly, there is a huge preponderance to retreat in a friendly region with high MC. The chance that you see your armed forces retreat to foreign territory, let alone the capital of the enemy which will have a high percentage of his own military control is very remote.

Do you suggest it happens too often? I personally rarely see it, but I always tend to keep my back lines open for retreat paths anyway.

Especially in AACW and CWII, there are quite a few "weird" retreats. Like CSA units in Memphis almost always retreat across the Mississippi River. This is with the way to Corinth open for example, and all points south of Memphis. The values for the probabilities can be changed/tweaked, but most of us don't have the time/inclination to optimize to what we want. It's weird to us, as we see these large regions, and think of where we want the unit to retreat to, which is not necessarily where it does.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

elxaime
General

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Kensai wrote:Do you suggest it happens too often? I personally rarely see it, but I always tend to keep my back lines open for retreat paths anyway.

I have seen it happen often enough. In the past two PBEM the following occurred. In a Rise of Prussia game a Prussian army defeated by the Swedes NW of Stettin had a line of retreat SE to Stettin, a fort with a depot and 100 percent MC. Instead it retreated NE across the river to the NE to the offshore island of Schwein, leaving Stettin unguarded and itself stranded. Schwein had no depot but did have 100 percent MC. So apparently it was a random roll, but the roll resulted in an outcome that made zero sense. Then, in a ACW2 PBEM, a Union Division NW of Carteret NC had to retreat. Carteret, to the SE, had other Union forces and was a supplied port with 100 MC. Instead the Union division retreated north, away from supply, to Craven NC, a non-port. Craven was occupied by a Union sailor raiding force and had 100 MC as well, so again it seemed like a random roll. But once again it made no sense. Each incident had a material effect on operations.

Thronfolger
Corporal

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:09 pm

This sounds great! But I still enjoy playing WW1 Gold. Why should I switch over to anoter WW1 game?

Shri

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Thronfolger wrote:This sounds great! But I still enjoy playing WW1 Gold. Why should I switch over to anoter WW1 game?

Yes i too love WW1 Gold and still play it, i had asked the DEVS if they had any plans for patches or updated versions in the forum and they guided me to this game.
But is wanted some details of this game, maybe some DEV-DIARY or detailed report. if possible and in what way is it so much better to WW1 Gold

Kensai

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Something that we missed. Are there two separate kinds of resources units now? One for supplies (food, water, boots, etc.) and one for ammo?

Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:

Person of Interest

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:20 pm

It certainly appears so and I like it. The more I look at the Unit Card and Map graphics the more I am enthralled by them. The artist/s have done an excellent job!

Ace

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:29 pm

There are two kind of resources. One for supplies (food, water, boots, small arms ammo) and the other more important one for heavy artillery ammo. This was done, so that shell shortage of 1915 can be accurately modeled. In fact, large caliber ammo is very scarce, and it requires some industrialization to keep the front-line supplied.

Ironclad61
Major

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:44 am

Talking about boots... is covered in game the introduction of helmets in a specific event or in a general event to upgrade units??? same with other tech improvements... you control them one by one or tech in infantry units is covered in a level systel??? (1915 division, 1916 etc etc), same with air units??? you upgrade them by aircraft type or by time?

Thanks.

Ace

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:51 am

You invest in research. Research is roughly divided into Infantry, Artillery, Gas warfare, Airplanes, Tanks and Naval research. With each level of research, there is some improvement. Some of the research is happening automatically at no cost, but it is rather slow. If you want to speed it up, you must invest some state funds in one of those research fields. Research times for the Eastern Entente are slower than for other two belligerents.

To answer your question, after researching one level of infantry, they will get helmets and new uniforms for the French (no more parade uniforms after 1914)

Kensai

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Very nice. And reminds the successful system of PON, which was quite realistic with its time entry limits and checks.

If you could post some more specific infos about certain R&D topics, we could speculate on their potential effects. Btw, I really want to see each and every R&D topic it would be cool to have a small improvement, unless it is a generic theoretical one (trunk) that simply leads to the practical ones (branches).
Großdeutschland Mod

Ironclad61
Major

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Ace.

Well, this is allways a feature i find confusing in wargames... %, bars, research points... i dont remember a research system that for me be clear specially to plan operations in relation with certain improvement you need.

Maybe for me the 2 main R&D systems are one based in tech levels and other in a tech tree... maybe first is more "rigid" but can control more things with lower overflow of info hehehe.

One interesting thing is going to be how a top tech nation could help a low tech allied... for example this is important with Rusia, AH and Ottomans (and well, UK doing naval improvements and in tanks with french center in infantry and arty) for example.

Shri

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:54 am

Ace wrote:You invest in research. Research is roughly divided into Infantry, Artillery, Gas warfare, Airplanes, Tanks and Naval research. With each level of research, there is some improvement. Some of the research is happening automatically at no cost, but it is rather slow. If you want to speed it up, you must invest some state funds in one of those research fields. Research times for the Eastern Entente are slower than for other two belligerents.

To answer your question, after researching one level of infantry, they will get helmets and new uniforms for the French (no more parade uniforms after 1914)

Shouldn't victory on the Battlefield spur research? Just a thought. Germans used a lot of tactics in 1915 that paid off in 1917-18.
Reducing battalions from 12 to 9
Using poison gas canisters
Using Storm Troopers (Alpine front against France)
Short Artillery burst followed by quick attack, rinse and repeat (Gorlice- Tarnow by the Guard's Korps and also Alpenkorps in Serbia and Rumania)

Soulstrider
Major

Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:18 am

Well I doubt I can offer any help and dunno if it has any interest since Portugal is a minor country and east africa is a minor theater. But I am very familiar with the initial Portuguese army composition, campaign and setbacks in that theater, so if you need any help on that area (which I highly doubt) feel free to ask.

Also just out of curiosity since it's my country, how much presence as Portugal in the game in terms of it's small military power and how it's diplomacy with it, can it join the Central powers for example?

Lindi
General

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:11 am

My last comment after All I see and read :

[ATTACH]28627[/ATTACH]

Need to go fight with the Royal 22e Régiment. :thumbsup:

PS : no new for possible date ? ;)
Attachments
images.jpg

Ironclad61
Major

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:04 am

I am waiting for the beta date... no idea of release date but a title like this with a centenary close... guns of august??? ;)

Uawcat
Corporal

Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Ironclad61 wrote:I am waiting for the beta date... no idea of release date but a title like this with a centenary close... guns of august??? ;)
I hope for this date as well. Perhaps the centenary of Franz Ferdinands death is a good date for a heads up... and please don´t take till armistice day. :neener:

Soulstrider
Major

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:09 pm

Don't worry guys, it will be out before Christmas.

Ironclad61
Major

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:33 pm

Soulstrider wrote:Don't worry guys, it will be out before Christmas.

what year??? :mdr:

Ummm maybe i am excesive positive with an august release... maybe a little later.

Matto
Colonel

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:08 am

Soulstrider wrote:Don't worry guys, it will be out before Christmas.

I think this sentence should be corrected to "It will be home before Christmas" :thumbsup:
Napoleon days in Austerlitz 2011 - photo gallery
My Czech pages agout AGEOD: AGEOD games, RoP AAR - Prussian side
My AGEOD games: WoN, TYW, EAW, CW2, AJE, PoN, NCP, ROP Gold, RUS Gold and BOA2

Return to “To End All Wars”