Palaiologos
Conscript

Impressions and notes

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:18 am

IMPRESSIONS and NOTES
EditReport this postQuote
Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:15 pm

This game just needs a few things sorted out and it will be great. Just finished my first 15 years, playing as Greece.

1. Managing to capture two Ottoman HQs they slowly regenerated back to full stretgh. I was fielding an Ottoman Army Corps in my Greek Army. For some reason this didnt happen in the second war with the Turks. Same thing happened with the Spanish in the Cuban war scenario. I captured a USA Army HQ and voila!

2. All this Austrian puppet states white peace the Serbs and Moldavians and then declare war again in support of Austria.

3. Austria and Russia seem to drag their small wars for ever. I am guessing Austria is occupying Belgrade for ever to get prestige points, instead of annexing the country, correct? Same with Russia and Sweden.

4. Cyprus, despite having a 90%(or something) ethnic Greek population has a 5% Loyalty towards Greece, 20% towards the Ottomans, 25% towards rebels and 50% towards Cyprus. 50% of the Cypriots wanting an independent Cyprus is a percentage that Cypriot politicians would dream about today, but not in 1850s. And whats the rebel Loyalty? Same thing in Krete. There are no decisions(with Greece at least) to influence the Loyalty of a province.

5. The Austrian Juggernaught declared war on me, their only casus belli being my temporary occupation of Salonika in a war against the Turks. Peacing out with the Turks to face that new threat, control of Salonika returned to the Ottoman Empire. Yet the war with the Austrians remained.

6. How does this thing with Generals work exactly? Both the starting Greek generals retire in 1865, in the middle of my war for survival with the Austrians, and nobody replaces them. I checked the data files, and there are generals that are supposed to come in 1860!. Could it be that they had been both promoted to Fieldmarshals before they retired that fucked the sequence up? Btw their original retirement dates were 1860 and 1863, dunno why they stick around untill 1865.

7. Random Bulgarian rebels spawn in Crete and other aegean islands

P.S initially posted in a wrong thread

HerrDan

Re: Impressions and notes

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:25 pm

I would also like to know how exactly the events concerning Generals work as I sometimes don't understand why some generals simply don't appear when they should (according to their Model's file), while others stay for longer than they are supposed to. I'd love to know where such files are, so that I could work around them myself.

Khanti
Captain

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:12 am

Palaiologos wrote:IMPRESSIONS and NOTES
(...)
6. How does this thing with Generals work exactly? Both the starting Greek generals retire in 1865, in the middle of my war for survival with the Austrians, and nobody replaces them. I checked the data files, and there are generals that are supposed to come in 1860!. Could it be that they had been both promoted to Fieldmarshals before they retired that fucked the sequence up? Btw their original retirement dates were 1860 and 1863, dunno why they stick around untill 1865.
(...)

Same thing with generals playing as Brazil :siffle: Austro-Hungary or Prussia.
All countries have generally too few generals and all of them are scripted in model files.
So new ones will appear only when set that by designers or player (modding files).

I wish there would be auto script like in HOI4 that just pops up generals out of their Academies (we have Academies on map!) after each year when they graduate. Instead Academies only give prestige points and officers.

I hope devs will think about including such an random generals generator in engine (tip: HOI4 with random national names). Could be set in options: play with random generals or only with scripted (historical) ones.

Palaiologos wrote:5. The Austrian Juggernaught declared war on me, their only casus belli being my temporary occupation of Salonika in a war against the Turks. Peacing out with the Turks to face that new threat, control of Salonika returned to the Ottoman Empire. Yet the war with the Austrians remained.

Another issue worth mentioning. Why there is only 5 points of warscore points acquired by winner every turn even if enemy country has no army, territory and allies? It takes months to take single province!

Example: Austria-Hungary vs. Parma (1 province country) or Brazil vs. Uruguay.

Uruguay had army (more than they can handle with 1 level city), lost it and has no chance of recovering. Yet their no man provinces are worth 26 points each (2,5 month of war still lasting).

PS: I used old topic, as subject is similar. So why create a new one?
Meteoryt-like user. Strikes and disappears.

Palaiologos
Conscript

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Dont see any patches coming out anytime soon. SAD! The game's economic model was much better than Victoria II and its military/supply system was outstanding. Its diplomatic aspect was horrible though.

Durk

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:26 am

I am sure you all realize that playing as Greece or Brazil is not a part of the core design of the game. The game is a marvel in that you can play these minor powers and have a decent time doing so. The eight original and now ten base nations play with issues like generals and such quite smoothly, that is, they are not a problem.
Yes, when comparing to Vicky 2 and such, this is the superior game. I wonder at the concern about diplomacy as the diplomacy in PON is much superior to the Vicky games. This shows especially in multiplayer games, but even in solo games it is complex.
I am not a master of PON, but still very much a novice in that I can cause and economic crisis or an interior rebellion without knowing how I mangage to do so, but the simply complexities of this game keep me engaged.

Return to “Help improve PON”