loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Re:

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Siegfroh wrote:...

That the two Phils, working for AGEOD (at least so it seems to me from their profiles in this forum), feel responsible for the game they contributed to develop (?), and work to improve it, is great. However, the company AGEOD is responsible for the game, and I hope it allocated them both paid working time to do the amendments they did, even though the amendments done up to now don't suffice.

I think you have helped a lot by hunting down issues, providing saves etc.

But a degree of reality really is needed. Who or what do you think is AGEOD? It really isn't a French Electronic Arts or whatever, its a couple of highly talented French game designers with a deep love for realistic games set in periods that most other companies don't touch. They also, as far as I know, have other jobs.

As above, up to you, but demanding what is never going to happen and getting snippy at people who do try to keep some sort of progress going is not really that useful.

I would dearly love this game to develop to its full potential. I'd probably then never play any other game. But that is never going to happen and we all have a choice. Not contribute and the game will carry on being sold in its current form - I don't know why you think this is unusual, every game company I have ever bought from has a back catalogue of games you can buy that are no longer actively supported. Or try to focus very limited time on the big issues. As I have said on a few occasions to me the only real issue is whether or not PoN can sustain using the WoN diplomatic code - if a solution could be found to that then I think that is as much as ever will be realistic to hope for.

Everything else can be handled by putting together an informal fix of the various moddable game files.

Pocus

Re: PON official quickfix 1.04.3

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:07 pm

In a nutshell:

Ageod has been independent, then a subsidiary of Paradox. When we regained independence, PON was still a property of Paradox.
Then we joined with Matrix-Slitherine and told them we would very much like to get all the sheep in the sheepfold, so Slitherine bought PON from Paradox. I believe they knew that from a financial standpoint, it was not worth the effort, but they did it nonetheless.

I'll let you infer on the rest, I have probably said too much already!

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:50 pm

Pocus wrote:In a nutshell:

Ageod has been independent, then a subsidiary of Paradox. When we regained independence, PON was still a property of Paradox.
Then we joined with Matrix-Slitherine and told them we would very much like to get all the sheep in the sheepfold, so Slitherine bought PON from Paradox. I believe they knew that from a financial standpoint, it was not worth the effort, but they did it nonetheless.

I'll let you infer on the rest, I have probably said too much already!

I am grateful to Slitherine for buying it. All you have done by revealing this noble move is to improve my already high opinion of Slitherine, and I am sure I am not alone in my gratitude.

As for Paradox, I will only say that I am glad that PON escaped their clutches, thanks to Slitherine.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Re:

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:12 am

loki100 wrote:
Siegfroh wrote:...

That the two Phils, working for AGEOD (at least so it seems to me from their profiles in this forum), feel responsible for the game they contributed to develop (?), and work to improve it, is great. However, the company AGEOD is responsible for the game, and I hope it allocated them both paid working time to do the amendments they did, even though the amendments done up to now don't suffice.

I think you have helped a lot by hunting down issues, providing saves etc.

But a degree of reality really is needed. Who or what do you think is AGEOD? It really isn't a French Electronic Arts or whatever, its a couple of highly talented French game designers with a deep love for realistic games set in periods that most other companies don't touch. They also, as far as I know, have other jobs.

As above, up to you, but demanding what is never going to happen and getting snippy at people who do try to keep some sort of progress going is not really that useful.

I would dearly love this game to develop to its full potential. I'd probably then never play any other game. But that is never going to happen and we all have a choice. Not contribute and the game will carry on being sold in its current form - I don't know why you think this is unusual, every game company I have ever bought from has a back catalogue of games you can buy that are no longer actively supported. Or try to focus very limited time on the big issues. As I have said on a few occasions to me the only real issue is whether or not PoN can sustain using the WoN diplomatic code - if a solution could be found to that then I think that is as much as ever will be realistic to hope for.

Everything else can be handled by putting together an informal fix of the various moddable game files.

Loki100, I agree with everything you said. And I am deeply grateful to the Phils for creating this game without peer, and supporting it as best they could. Even with its flaws, it is still the best game ever made, in my opinion, and it has given me more fun and wonder and insight and immersion than all the other games I have played, ever.

Edorf74
Private

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:40 pm

I have done several attempts to download the quickfix but it takes ages to download it. Apparently it takes me 2 hours through the link provided in the first post.

Any chance for an alternative download link?

(crossed fingers)

Edit:

I finally did download the quickfix and luckily no broken connection while waiting.

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:15 am

Hi!

Could somebody please provide a working link for the latest 1.04.03 patch, the link on the first page of this thread doesen't seem to work.

Tnaks in advance

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:34 pm

cwegsche wrote:Hi!

Could somebody please provide a working link for the latest 1.04.03 patch, the link on the first page of this thread doesen't seem to work.

Tnaks in advance

You need to copy the link:

ftp.ageod.com/pub/PON/PONQF1043.exe

and paste it into your browser. Run it and that will trigger the download of the .exe.

Quick warning - while the download is pretty quick it will take a while to open and write the files. So don't be surprised if nothing happens for 10-20 mins.

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:26 pm

Thank you very much loki!!!

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:53 pm

cwegsche wrote:Thank you very much loki!!!

Don't forget to delete the Units.Cached and Models.Cached files before running PON and after running the update. The files are located in the ...\VGN\Game Data\Units and ...\VGN\Game Data\Models folders respectively.

See this thread for more details.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=345&t=51193

-C

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:47 pm

Thank you Random i uninstalled the whole game and made a new installation to be on the save side :-)

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Again!

Unfortunately the download doesen't complete ... have tried 3 times, never finishes ... it stops loading somewhere in the middle ...
Is there another link somewhere?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:51 am

best advice is to give it time. It seems to hang up but will complete in the end - at least that was my experience

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Thanks very much guys, after the 5th trial it worked finally! Good things need time they say :-)

Erostratus
Corporal

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Does it show in the credits the version as 1.04.2 or 1.04.3? I have installed the patch in the first post off of a steam PON download and it is currently showing a 1.04.2 build. Just trying to make sure i did it correctly?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:38 am

I'm seeing 1.04.3 and a date of October 2016 when I launch the game

Aurelin
Colonel

Mon May 01, 2017 9:50 am

I'm seeing 1.04.2 Probably Steam related.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 01, 2017 2:34 pm

It may be Steam related, as I see 1.04.3, and I do not have it installed on Steam.

Aurelin
Colonel

Tue May 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Yeah. I even moved each file manually, and still don't get it. On the Steam forum it was said that they haven't uploaded it to Steam yet.

Aurelin
Colonel

Wed May 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Found the download I got from Gamersgate when I first bought it when Ageod was part of Paradox. Update works with that one.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Aurelin wrote:Found the download I got from Gamersgate when I first bought it when Ageod was part of Paradox. Update works with that one.

Good news! I think you will really enjoy the latest update. It improves the game in many ways.

Regards,

Vaalen

Erostratus
Corporal

Sat May 06, 2017 6:11 pm

vaalen wrote:It may be Steam related, as I see 1.04.3, and I do not have it installed on Steam.

I do have this off of steam. I remember with a previous patch, despite it showing on the game the build for a previous patch, it would be the more recent build. I was just wondering if that was still the case on the latest build.

Aurelin
Colonel

Sun May 07, 2017 2:23 am

vaalen wrote:
Aurelin wrote:Found the download I got from Gamersgate when I first bought it when Ageod was part of Paradox. Update works with that one.

Good news! I think you will really enjoy the latest update. It improves the game in many ways.

Regards,

Vaalen

Yeah, now I have to learn how to play it again :)

Return to “Help improve PON”