Pocus

PON 1.04 public beta patch, updated August 7th, 2015

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Dear players,

Here is the link to latest public beta patch 1.04.

This patch should be comprehensive, but be on the lookout for missing things, as the last release candidate dates some months already.

http://ftp.ageod.com/pub/PON/Patch_PON_1.04August7.rar

Among others things, this patch fixes the display issues encountered lately and speed up turn loading significantly, and overall hosting time by 15% on average.

Pride of Nations, Vainglory of Empire Updates (1.04)

Patch 1.04
Release Date: Sometime in summer 2015
How to update your game:

This patch is a comprehensive patch. It can upgrade to latest version any previous version of PON.
This patch is save-compatible.

LIST OF CHANGES

Novelties of the July 17th + August 7th release:

Fixed bug: Harshness damage
Fixed bug: Combat signature for low-sig elements
Fixed bug: Abilities giving changes to particular elements
Failed decisions now always removed from force pool.
Fixed bug in general diplomacy code
Military control gain code overhauled considerably
Fixed bug: Warscore and how it progresses
4 more indicators in battle report: failed morale, failed retreat, retreat attempts, full unit capture
Improved DOW calculations
Crimean crisisrevised, as of July 2015.

Previous patch notes:

Gameplay
Improved ammos distribution in supply phase
Improved naval supply distribution
Revised and improved retreat logic for stacks
Stack in retreat or doing MTSG can't cross blockaded river or pass through 'front' because of ZOC.
Traffic rule (in work)
Leaders will only lose seniority on January 1st and July 1st, this should help for promotion potential.
Neutral Tribal are now passive, should stop them from besieging or interfering others units.
There is a 25% chance that artillery manages to counter fire enemy artillery instead of firing on a frontline element.
Evasion value for stacks with leaders was erroneous in some cases
Impossible retreat because of too strong enemy in combat region fixed.
Besieged group can't escape besiegers with evade roll.
Hidden activation feature implementation slightly improved.
Naval resupply from special sea zones can be reduced by enemy ships.
Troops under river move are much much easier to hit now.
You can’t use units under construction to build a depot.
Land Stacks residing in an harbor only will be expelled (can happens if fort is destroyed)
Development level reduction done by regional decisions was not working.
Messages on decisions with tests and conditions reworked so they are easier to understand when not successful.
Ability sending command points modifier to subordinate stacks had a bug resulting in double modifiers sometime.
New option added in Menu\Options to play with ‘hidden activation’.
Fixed: Occupier ability. Changed: Patriot ability.
If Helper option ‘Let AI buy replacements’ is activated, AI will buy more replacements than in previous patch.
If enemy capital is occupied, National Resilience rolls are skipped.
Captured equipment can now be incorporated in divisions.
Development level increases moderately movement cost (-20% speed in wild region, -10% in cleared, no change above)
Weather will be more variable depending of the grand weather zones.
Neutral units can't pillage your regions.
Strategic redeployment now requires a continuous rail line from start to end. In addition, if your redeploy outside the theater (filter 6) you pay 10% of the weight (minimum 1) from wear and tear in rail pool.
XP kept when training decreased from 50% to 10%, to prevent veteran militia becoming elite regular infantry.
Tribals don’t get back replacements in hostile regions.
Evasion is pro-ratised to cohesion.
More than one hundred fixes in models and units.
Fixed bug: Harshness damage
Fixed bug: Combat signature for low-sig elements
Fixed bug: Abilities giving changes to particular elements
Failed decisions now always removed from force pool.
Fixed bug in general diplomacy code
Military control gain code overhauled considerably
Fixed bug: Warscore and how it progresses
4 more indicators in battle report: failed morale, failed retreat, retreat attempts, full unit capture

Engine
Turn Loading time reduced by 40%. Turn processing time reduced by 10-15%.

Interface
Faction history improvements
Can rename units with more characters than before
Music sound volume can now be tweaked (inoMusicVolume in .opt file)
can't enter anymore (and erroneously) in structures not designed to handle sieges
Innate supply production of a region is now shown in the first structure tooltip when checking structures.
Also corrected supply and assets production not taking into account loyalty/alignment
better AB display in Forces & Units list, leaders sorted properly by name. Units ID sorted as expected (5th before 11st)
In Forces, Units, Regions listing, can scroll one page at a time with key up/down. Tooltip added to the scrollbar also.
Hitting Enter when renaming an unit closes the window
Attrition Loss stored for each stack and displayed as a single message at end of turn (includes weather and wear&tear)
Filters in the unit construction panel are preserved when closing it.
Titles of historical options can now display in two lines.
Units under construction appear fixed in the appropriate warmap filter or with the ctrl-F1 filter.
Combat power for friendly units is no more aggregated in a single value.
Shift key can now be used both for lands and waters regions, allows seeing the links between regions.
Recruitable units are sorted by ascending money cost. Filters and buttons maintained when panel closed.
Fixed : Leaders won’t hide enemy troops in region tooltip.
Weak counters on map (strength under 100) have less emphasis. Strong counters have more.
Adjacent travel rays display (shift key) improved.
Combat Power and the 3 gauges (hits, cohesion, Supply) only appear on enemy counters if there is at least 2 extra detection points toward the enemy stack.
Calling decisions or recruitments panels will mask ledger.
The variable governing the delay when ‘Focus On Move’ is used is now available for tweaking in PON\Settings\UserInterface.opt. Default entry is: inoFocusDelayInc = 1500 // in milliseconds
In the Unit List (F1, then switch to Units), units with promotable leaders will be shown in red. Reminder: if you filter out units without leaders, you get the list of generals of your nation.
Number of auto-saved turns can now be changed with an in-game option. Access it with the System tab, in the Options window of the Main Menu.
Load game window can now cope with 0-byte game files. If this happen, the previous turn will be restored, but you’ll have to quit the application entirely to have the previous file appears.
Mouse-zooming (not keyboard-zooming) will now focus on the mouse position.
Scrolling is now done 3 messages at a time in message panel (half of message panel height).
Very slow or under recruitments units get a brown ribbon.
Shortcuts added to some special orders. Shortcuts added to postures and ROEs. Check the buttons to learn about them.
Promotable leaders get their name pulsating with a + after their name.

AI
AI: Improved Split Large Stacks
Ai fix on blockade run estimation
Support gift reviewed further.
Bug fixing in scripted interest for naval regions.
Fixed a rare bug in AI algorithm ‘give supports’.
Generic AI significantly improved on most algorithms, thanks to a chirurgical yet powerful modification (expect a +10-15% improved Athena nastiness!)
Dislikes much more to be trapped in cities
AI assaults more frequently besieged structures
Admirals are more often send to secondary’s fleets
AI faster in sending ships in naval special boxes. (to combine with extra ships attributes)
AI better at shuffling around supply wagons and services units.
AI has been improved on sending supply wagons and artilleries.
AI has been improved on resupplying algorithm.
AI less prone to stay within a structure, if in (at least) partial superiority.
AI will be more vigilant in defending its capital.
High ranked leaders will be much more reluctant to command small forces.
Idle leaders in enemy land will seek to get back to ‘headquarter region’.
Transports will have a quite low buying priority if the AI is bested in naval power and situation is not great.
AI will get a slightly higher bonus for railroad autorepair (which is based on the development level of the region)
AI will defend the capital city more easily if threatened
Recon&Raid max distance from 5 to 2 regions
Optimized slightly AI recruitments
Improved DOW calculations

Modding / Script engine
Console can reliably be put back at the forefront
A log appears in the splash screen while you parse a script. Useful to see where you are in the parsing process. Plus, it looks cool! The periodicity of this log is controlled by sysScriptMemoPeriodicity in system.opt.
Regional decisions: Condition on number and type of units can now have a range greater than 1 (max is now capped to 6, but this is very CPU intensive, use with caution).
Added an extra field for decisions: NeedThisStrucAttribAdjSelf. Used in CW2 to tweak mines and sub decision.
Added 4 scripting commands (re)Store faction/region. See wiki for details.
Added parameters Group and NoSelectorUpd to SelectSubUnits command. See wiki for details.
Map aleas now support scripted events.

Events
Revised events for Japan, China, Russia, courtesy of Loki and Ch. Barrot. Thanks to them!
Additional revisions to Balkan Crisis, German and Italian Unifications, US Civil War.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

coturnix
Private

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:47 am

The installation takes ages to start, and is slow as hell (my initial message was about a possible error in the installer. Editing after looking with surprise how the installation starts after some minutes).

uglyr
Private

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:05 am

coturnix wrote:The installation takes ages to start, and is slow as hell (my initial message was about a possible error in the installer. Editing after looking with surprise how the installation starts after some minutes).

For me it was only slow download, but installation was pretty fast considering size. Maybe the problem with your antivirus? Usualy they don't like large ".exe"

Silent Disapproval Robot
Conscript

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:34 am

The F6 screen now works properly but the unit art is still not displaying.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:35 am

coturnix wrote:The installation takes ages to start, and is slow as hell (my initial message was about a possible error in the installer. Editing after looking with surprise how the installation starts after some minutes).

I had a similar experience, but no error message. But it seems to have installed the patch correctly.

Fsansir
Corporal

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Thank you very much for the patch. Gold version next?

Ok, just dreaming :neener:

Silent Disapproval Robot
Conscript

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Is the unit art working for others? I still can't see it and I'm wondering if it's fixed for others and just specific to me.

TXcavalier
Corporal

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Silent Disapproval Robot wrote:Is the unit art working for others? I still can't see it and I'm wondering if it's fixed for others and just specific to me.

Unit cards aren't showing pictures for me either.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Silent Disapproval Robot wrote:Is the unit art working for others? I still can't see it and I'm wondering if it's fixed for others and just specific to me.

I am not seeing the units on the unit cards either.

Delaware
Private

Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:44 pm

Can I apply these to Steam installations manually? Or will Steam overwrite them?

uglyr
Private

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:04 am

Don't want to rush things, but is there promised changlog anywhere? And most important question for me is there something in patch that will work only in new game, or I will lose nothing playing old one?

Also after patch I've noticed several new messages in the end of the list "strAttritionLoss" combined with "strOtherMoraleLossMed". Earlier strOtherMoraleLossMed was only in the middle of the list and now in the middle and end. What do they tell about and can it be easily fixed?

jscott991
Lieutenant

Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:11 pm

vaalen wrote:I am not seeing the units on the unit cards either.

Ugh.

Are you serious? Another display glitch?

Geez, I was hoping to be able to use this patch. Oh well.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:23 pm

jscott991 wrote:Ugh.

Are you serious? Another display glitch?

Geez, I was hoping to be able to use this patch. Oh well.

This is the same unit card glitch that existed before the patch. It is not new. It does not affect the playing of the game, but it does not show the graphics of the actual soldiers on the unit card.

Tac Error
Conscript

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:27 am

Is it just me, or has the game's performance actually gone down with this patch? I'm getting sub-10 framerates even in the small war scenarios which wasn't the case with earlier patches.

TXcavalier
Corporal

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:51 am

Tac Error wrote:Is it just me, or has the game's performance actually gone down with this patch? I'm getting sub-10 framerates even in the small war scenarios which wasn't the case with earlier patches.

Its just you. I have the opposite effect. Things are moving smoother than ever.

Pocus

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:08 am

Changelog is coming. Portraits fix has not been fixed but will soon, as the missing strings.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:57 pm

TXcavalier wrote:Its just you. I have the opposite effect. Things are moving smoother than ever.

Things are moving smoother than ever for me as well. The patch has really improved performance.

Kaiser85
Private

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 pm

I appreciate the effort and the change log's content, but the missing display card is very irritating. I will not play PoN, till the issue will be fixed. :(

jscott991
Lieutenant

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:51 am

Is there any way to manually fix the portraits?

I'd like to use the patch, but I can't see doing without unit pictures.

Pocus

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:12 am

I'll check that this Saturday if possible.
You should know that there will always be things like that in games so huge as PON. If you wait for perfection, you'll never probably play it.

bbmike
Sergeant

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm curious if I'm missing something from those unit cards you guys are missing. I never really looked at them anyway, what do you use them for?

Matto
Colonel

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:45 pm

Check attrition message in the log ... I used this patch for older running game and I see here only "strAttritionLoss"
Napoleon days in Austerlitz 2011 - photo gallery
My Czech pages agout AGEOD: AGEOD games, RoP AAR - Prussian side
My AGEOD games: WoN, TYW, EAW, CW2, AJE, PoN, NCP, ROP Gold, RUS Gold and BOA2

Pocus

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:55 pm

This might the be text file not fully updated, it should be ok for next public beta patch.

jscott991
Lieutenant

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Pocus wrote:I'll check that this Saturday if possible.
You should know that there will always be things like that in games so huge as PON. If you wait for perfection, you'll never probably play it.

That's a fair point, but this is something that was working in 1.03 and now isn't. That's kind of frustrating -- when you are used to something and it goes away. I can understand a patch not fixing everything, but I'm uncomfortable with patches like 1.04 that keep taking things away.

uglyr
Private

Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Been a bit busy last days, so wasn't able to say thanks! Great job!

Change log is ompressive, but there are some questions:
1. "If Helper option ‘Let AI buy replacements’ is activated, AI will buy more replacements than in previous patch." - what is helper option? I don't see something like that.

2. "Captured equipment can now be incorporated in divisions." - can you elaborate how exactly it works now?

3. Do I understand correctly that natives can't burn down your colonial buildings now if you don't declare war to them? But rebels can?

4. "Number of auto-saved turns can now be changed with an in-game option. Access it with the System tab, in the Options window of the Main Menu." - I don't see this option either.

And one small irritating problem: I have Russian language Windows and all non-English symbols displayed as Russian (which certainly not). Something like "Kцniggrдtz". Sometimes it's pretty hard to understand what the right name should be. I don't know if it can be easily solved on your side or maybe mine (maybe I should install some special font or something like that).

jscott991
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:31 am

Tac Error wrote:Is it just me, or has the game's performance actually gone down with this patch? I'm getting sub-10 framerates even in the small war scenarios which wasn't the case with earlier patches.

Not just you. For whatever reason, it has really slowed down on my computer as well post-patch.

It particularly hangs on the loading master file steps.

Tac Error
Conscript

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:05 pm

uglyr wrote:And one small irritating problem: I have Russian language Windows and all non-English symbols displayed as Russian (which certainly not). Something like "Kцniggrдtz". Sometimes it's pretty hard to understand what the right name should be. I don't know if it can be easily solved on your side or maybe mine (maybe I should install some special font or something like that).

Try setting your "language for non-unicode programs" to something like "English (Canada)" in the Region and Language option under the Control Panel. A word of warning though: this is going to make Cyrillic letters in non-unicode .txt files turn into gibberish until you revert the previous setting back.

uglyr
Private

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Tac Error wrote:Try setting your "language for non-unicode programs" to something like "English (Canada)" in the Region and Language option under the Control Panel. A word of warning though: this is going to make Cyrillic letters in non-unicode .txt files turn into gibberish until you revert the previous setting back.

Sure it works this way. But considering side effects, i'd better live with broken names.

flecha
Conscript

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

The patch is no fully save compatible, I was playing with a modified version of 1.04 beta RC2+quickfix and then I switched back to 1.04 Rc3 and I loaded the fame with everything ok, played several years and then saved and quit the game, the next day when I loaded the game again all the names and models for units where changed :S with naval units showing in map as infantry, and infantry showing as ships.

I turned back to RC2 + qickfix

Tac Error
Conscript

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:32 am

Another issue (which IIRC the last beta patch had): the rail lines have dissapeared (but the little animated trains you can mouse over have not).

Return to “Help improve PON”