Ace

Sugesstion on AI improvement

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:04 pm

After some time with other ageod titles, I returned their most succesfull game for some casual game vs AI. For starters, I started 62 Campaign where Players start with formed command structure. I restrained from using regional decisions since ai doesn't use them properly either.
The.tactical game went reasonably well, but then I noticed
AI doesn't use money volunteer and draft options well. I guess there is a trigger in the code if I have low CC, I'll call for volunteers. But here lies the catch, if I want a lot of volunteers, I meed to pay for them, which means I have to collect much more money than programmed min treeshold for choosing that options.

The solution, don't try to make ai too smart, make it choose financial options as soon as it resceives them. It may not be optimal play, but it would be good enough, and the ai would ppay economic game much better.

Ace

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:45 am

I did some further research and found a flaw in AI programming.
It will call for financial options when it has under 250, 300 or 400 $. Since Union makes $700/turn in this scenario, it will never use its full financial might, it is like it is playing with one hand behind its back. There is big room for improvement here with very little effort.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:57 am

Does that mean it is better to play the Union - and not use the options?

Ace

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:13 pm

No, it doesn't.
More money is always better than less money :)

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:49 am

Ace wrote:There is big room for improvement here with very little effort.

I agree. I think it's the same for other options also. If I remember right, the CSA shoots itself in the foot by offering trade and territorial concessions.

Pocus

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:00 am

Ace wrote:I did some further research and found a flaw in AI programming.
It will call for financial options when it has under 250, 300 or 400 $. Since Union makes $700/turn in this scenario, it will never use its full financial might, it is like it is playing with one hand behind its back. There is big room for improvement here with very little effort.

I don't think that's true. These options in CW2 are events, triggering at end of turn, where all income and all expenses are already completed.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Help improve CW2”