W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

1.05 RC5 Missouri Bde and 5th/6th Missouri bug

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:06 pm

Early May 1862 you get the 5th and 6th Missouri unit which you are supposed to be able to combine with the Missouri bde. However, the nominal table of Equipment for the 5th and 6th Missouri states that it can contain only 1 LINE INFANTRY even though it is classed as ELITE INFANTRY. Since the slots in the Missouri Bde takes four ELITE INFANTRY you cannot combine them. Please see the attached image.
[ATTACH]32907[/ATTACH]
Attachments
missouri bde.jpg
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Captain_Orso

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:10 pm

W.Barksdale wrote:Early May 1862 you get the 5th and 6th Missouri unit which you are supposed to be able to combine with the Missouri bde.

The Missouri Brigade and Missouri Brigade Reinforcement events strongly insinuate that, yes.

W.Barksdale wrote:However, the nominal table of Equipment for the 5th and 6th Missouri states that it can contain only 1 LINE INFANTRY even though it is classed as ELITE INFANTRY. Since the slots in the Missouri Bde takes four ELITE INFANTRY you cannot combine them. Please see the attached image.

The Missouri Bde is spawned per event missing the 4th infantry regiment. This is clearly written in the event. The Missouri Brigade Reinforcement event then appears to spawn exactly this missing regiment.

However when looking at the model used by the Missouri Brigade Reinforcement event we see that it is "uni_CSA_Inf9".

This Missouri Bde is described in the unit file:

Code: Select all

ModelType0 = $mdl_CMN_Art1Exp|2
ModelType1 = $mdl_CSA_Cav1|1
ModelType2 = $[B]mdl_CSA_Inf9[/B]|4
FamilyType0 = $famLeader|1
FamilyType1 = $[B]famElite[/B]|4
FamilyType2 = $famCavalry|1

This 5th & 6th Missouri is a standard uni_CSA_Inf9 unit described in the unit file:

UID = 109
NationTag = CSA
Name = Infantry Rgt
Alias = uni_CSA_Inf9
ShortName = Inf. Rgt
Text = $uni_txt_CSA_InfRgt
Color = $colCSARegular
ModelType0 = $mdl_CSA_Inf9|1
FamilyType0 = $[B]famLine[/B]|1

Hmmm.... mdl_CSAInf9 is described:

UID = 91
NationTag = CSA
Name = Infantry (elite)
Alias = mdl_CSA_Inf9
TemplateUID = $mdl_CMN_Inf9
ShortName = Infantry
Text = $mdl_txt_CSA_Inf9
Family = $[B]famElite[/B]

So here it says famElite

To me it is clear that the Unit file is in error and "FamilyType0" should be set to "$famElite" and not line.

BTW uni_CSA_Inf8 has the same error.

Good catch WB!

Pocus!!!!!! ;)

I also not that the Missouri Bde unit file is missing the artillery in the FamilyType's:

ModelType0 = $mdl_CMN_Art1Exp|2[B] <== Artillery[/B]
ModelType1 = $mdl_CSA_Cav1|1
ModelType2 = $[B]mdl_CSA_Inf9[/B]|4
FamilyType0 = $famLeader|1 [B]<== Not Artillery[/B]
FamilyType1 = $[B]famElite[/B]|4 [B]<== Not Artillery[/B]
FamilyType2 = $famCavalry|1 [B]<== Not Artillery[/B]

Pocus

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:17 am

I'll note that for the official patch release.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:58 pm

Can you please edit the relevant .uni and .mdl and I'll update the xls with that. I prefer, to avoid mistakes. Also are you sure that the regiments switching to elite replacements won't be a problem in others parts of the OOB?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Captain_Orso

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Okay, I'll test them out first and then send you the updated mdl and uni files.

Pocus

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:41 am

PM or mail me in this case with the edited mdl and uni.

Captain_Orso

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Management Summery:

To be able to combine the Missouri Brigade Reinforcement with the Missouri Brigade it is enough to add 'FamilyType3 = $famLightArty|2' to the Missouri Brigade.

--

Without adding the 'FamilyType3 = $famLightArty|2' the unit does not have enough room for the additional 'missing' regiment, because before looking for FamilyTypes the game engine looks to the maximum number of sub-units of the unit, which without the 'FamilyType3 = $famLightArty|2' entry is only allowed to have 6 elements which includes a leader being combined with the unit.

Even without a leader combined with the Missouri Brigade unit is spawed with 2 batteries, 1 cavalry regiment and 3 infantry regiments, which makes for 6 elements from the get-go. THIS is why the Reinforcement unit cannot be combined with the Brigade itself. If attempted, the player would also not be able to combine a leader with this unit.

I added the ''FamilyType3 = $famLightArty|2' to the unit file (attached) and could immediately combine the Missouri Brigade Reinforcement unit to the Missouri Brigade.

The 'FamilyType0 = $famLine|1' entry for the unit 'UID = 109', 'Alias = uni_CSA_Inf9' is still in error, but is probably not noticeable, because:
  • The Unit is ONLY used for the Missouri Brigade Reinforcement unit.
  • It cannot be build; it has not build-pool entry.
  • It is spawned per event, which pretty much let's you put units together anyway you wish regardless of the unit file's configuration.
  • Although the unit has 'FamilyType0 = $famLine|1', this only plays a role in:
    • Combining another unit into this unit, which cannot be done, because this unit only has room for 1 sub-unit, which it always must have, or else the unit would have been destroyed.
    • Adding a replacement element to this unit, which would require the only sub-unit to be destroyed, yada, yada, yada, same as above.

So, for correctness and to prevent any future errors to occur, '109CSAInfantry Rgt.uni' should get 'FamilyType0 = $famElite|1' so that the FamilyType0 entry matches the model.

Both fixed units have been attached.
Attachments
MissouriBdeFix.rar
(806 Bytes) Downloaded 91 times

Return to “Help improve CW2”