Stelteck
Colonel

Robert lee is uterly incompetent

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:27 pm

:bonk:

Please forgive me it was only a joke, i know robert lee is some quite of pop idol or something like that.

My meaning is this :

But, I think that this battle report presentation is really disturbing.

- According to the numbers of men involved, we may think that the mighty potomac army face and defeat 20000+ rebels of lee. (But in reality, the rebels involved only a weak division and the others men are under the walls of fortress richmond and did not fight (i suppose)).

- 0 casualties union side, really ? Not even a single dead ? not even friendly fire from artillery, something like that ? Or a canon that exploded while firing ? :w00t: I know that the odds were really badly against confederation, but 2000 mens with rifles in woods can at least shot one yankee or two before dying...... Maybe they surrendered without a fight ? Under lee command ? :mdr: There is no clear indication. The rebels were on defense.

It is not the first time i noticed strange 0 casualties in battle, when the team are not balanced. Maybe the engine may be tweaked to increase winner casuaties in situation like this. People may think it is a bug.
i do not think it is a bug but it look odd.

arsan

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:34 pm

It seems the lone CSA division didn't have any guns... so i guess the USA troops didn't even have to close range with the rebels, just blast them at safe distance with their 166 artillery pieces... ouch! :(
By the time the battle engine closed range, the rebels were in no mood to fight back, just surrender :bonk:
I bet that's the reason for the USA 0 casualties
The rest of the CSA army didn't participate in battle, as you say, because they were on the inside of Richmond.

Jim-NC

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Actually, I don't believe Lee was the commander of the forces. He is not listed as a combatant (only Huger and his division are listed). I believe he was the ranking general in the region, but didn't take part in the actual battle.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:30 pm

show us units 7 to 16, I bet the Union has several batteries.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Stelteck
Colonel

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Of course there was a lot of artillery, but i do not think anyone to except a solo division to align on a clear battlefield the time needed for all the union army to deploy its artillery, and get slaughered once the battle begin.

In a battle like that, it is not a normal battle. The small division may have tried to ambush the ennemy, or the small division may have getting caught by unions recon troops (such as cavalry) and getting slauthered while retreating. But in both case, i would have expected at least 100/200 death to union armies. (Maybe far more if ambush is successfull).

I'am sure if 100 canons fires, at least a couple of them explode and kill servants at least.

Maybe the battle engine could be tweaked to be a little more realistic in case of such types of battle. I'am sure there is plenty of solutions. But it is just an idea of course. I may not have the big picture.

It is not the only battle with a result like that. I saw it on siege assault by overhelming forces. A siege assault cannot be 0 casualties to the assaulting side. It is impossible.

Stelteck
Colonel

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:38 pm

As i already have a thread lets use it to post something quite odd i have in my current union game. (Option default).

It is about the AI. I'am programmer myself and i know AI is really difficult to code. But maybe there is something simple to do (such as moving priority target).

I managed to reach richmond with the mighty army of potomac (for 2 months). I just tried an assaut because i breached the walls, but it failed. (No problem with that).

I really love this game and only hope to improve it.

The issue maybe that i did not have to fight the confederate army to reach richmond. Let's say i outmanoeuvred them :thumbsup:

What are doing the mighty confederate army while i'am sieging richmond ??? Ho, it is not far. In fact, it is here :

The confederate army siege fort monroe, while i'am very close to take richmond and cause the utter defeat of the confederation.... Not sure that taking fort monroe will cause the defeat of union.... :bonk:
It did not tried to lift the siege for two months, doing backward jobs.... I'am sure beauregard may be secretely an union agent.....

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Stelteck wrote:As i already have a thread lets use it to post something quite odd i have in my current union game. (Option default).

It is about the AI. I'am programmer myself and i know AI is really difficult to code. But maybe there is something simple to do (such as moving priority target).

I managed to reach richmond with the mighty army of potomac (for 2 months). I just tried an assaut because i breached the walls, but it failed. (No problem with that).

I really love this game and only hope to improve it.

The issue maybe that i did not have to fight the confederate army to reach richmond. Let's say i outmanoeuvred them :thumbsup:

What are doing the mighty confederate army while i'am sieging richmond ??? Ho, it is not far. In fact, it is here :

The confederate army siege fort monroe, while i'am very close to take richmond and cause the utter defeat of the confederation.... Not sure that taking fort monroe will cause the defeat of union.... :bonk:
It did not tried to lift the siege for two months, doing backward jobs.... I'am sure beauregard may be secretely an union agent.....

Im having same type of problems.

Is there a bug that fort ZOC "traps" the AI and he cant retreat from the area?

Try loading the game as CSA and retreat Beauregard away from the fort?

Stelteck
Colonel

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Just tested.
No problem for moving the army of beauregard in confederate side.

Pocus

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 am

I'll check what is feasible

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

bob.
General

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:48 pm

I had EXACTLY the same situation, funny! The Confederates were sieging Fort Monroe (which I had strengthened to around 700 combat power to deter assault) and meanwhile my army was calmly and unopposed moving towards Richmond.
In a series of 5 consecutive assaults my army was then turned into basically an empty shell. Lee is just brutal. And that is the story of how I managed to defeat my own army, while the Confederate army was having a picknick in front of Fort Monroe (and afterwards it took Fort Monroe and moved towards Washington).

Return to “Help improve CW2”