loudscott
Private

crash and log post

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:10 am

CW2 has crashed on me twice. The dialog box tells me to upload the !main log.txt file however it appears to me the thread where I'm supposed to do that is locked. Is there someplace I can upload and will someone support it?

Thanks,

Scott

Nikel

Re: crash and log post

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:45 pm

You should be able to attach the log and a save in this thread.

The limitation is because it is you first post in this forum, antispam measure.

loudscott
Private

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:07 pm

tried again and the forum's dialog box says: Error: Invalid file extension !Main log.txt

Same as yesterday. I opened a support ticket via email and the response I received was:

Hi Scott,
I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your game.
Open the game installation folder, find a file named Userpath.ini and delete it.
Don't load your previous games, start a new game and check if the crashes are persisting.

I'm hoping that I would get a different response from this thread as I have quite a bit of time invested in this current game :pleure:

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

Nikel

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 am

Ah, then before uploading, try compressing the file in zip or rar format.

You may also do the same with the save folder.

loudscott
Private

Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:23 pm

got it....however, the crash has not happened in two days and I just noticed that the log file is getting flushed and rewritten every game so there is nothing to upload at this point. If/when it happens again I'll be more careful to preserve the file. Thank you for taking the time to weigh in!

Scott

lodilefty

Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 pm

loudscott wrote:got it....however, the crash has not happened in two days and I just noticed that the log file is getting flushed and rewritten every game so there is nothing to upload at this point. If/when it happens again I'll be more careful to preserve the file. Thank you for taking the time to weigh in!

Scott

The log gets cleared when you load the game [as opposed to loading a save within the game]

Rename the log file before you restart after CTD, and it should be preserved.....

Captain_Orso

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:31 pm

loudscott wrote:tried again and the forum's dialog box says: Error: Invalid file extension !Main log.txt

Same as yesterday. I opened a support ticket via email and the response I received was:

Hi Scott,
I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your game.
Open the game installation folder, find a file named Userpath.ini and delete it.
Don't load your previous games, start a new game and check if the crashes are persisting.

I'm hoping that I would get a different response from this thread as I have quite a bit of time invested in this current game :pleure:

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

You will not lose anything through doing this.

The Userpath.ini files, which has the size 0, indicates where the game program is to write and look for scenario saves.

If Userpath.ini is present in the installation folder, the game program will work with 'x:\Users\Your_User\My Documents\My Games', where 'x:' is the disk drive where your Windows Users home folder of your user is located.

If Userpath.ini is not present in the installation folder it will use the Saves folder inside the installation folder; eg '..\Steam\steamapps\common\CivilWarII\CW2\Saves'.

What Tech Support is requesting is simply to confirm if the game runs when using only the files inside the installation folder.

IF you decide to use the Saves folder inside the installation folder, you can always move or copy your Saves into inside the installation folder, or at least you ought to be able to do that.

loudscott
Private

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:48 pm

Crashed again and I believe I captured what I could.
Attachments
1861 April Campaign.zip
(256.66 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
CTD CW2.JPG
CTD CW2.JPG (108 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
CTD Main log.zip
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

Nikel

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:48 pm

You were recruiting units.

But is it reproducible? I mean, what was you doing exactly before the crash.

loudscott
Private

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:21 pm

I was just dropping some Militia units in MO. And it is not repeatable. I reload the game and start the turn over and everything is tip top. I can't find a pattern to the crashes???

Captain_Orso

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Are you playing a lot of turns one after the other in one sitting?

There is an issue if you do that, that after several turns the chance of having things like access violations seem to ramp up.

If this is the case, I can only suggest, after each turn execution, quit the game program and start it again.

loudscott
Private

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks for the info and yes it appears that is an/the issue. I have also noticed that issues like Banks apparently not getting credit for conscripts also evaporates if I quit and then reload the game. I am a little curious on the Banks issue for example if this is just a reporting issue in the F8 screen or if the Feds are actually being denied the conscripts. Either way I am now in the habit of reloading the game every couple of turns.

Captain_Orso

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 am

I reload after every turn, but I have the game installed on and SSD so it loads fairly quickly compared to loading from an HDD. Of course, only if I remember to :papy: ... :laugh:

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”