major snafu
Corporal

CW2 stopped working message

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi All,

I have been playing the game on a Dell T5600 for about a year. No problems.

Recently, there was an update from Dell.

After that CW2 begins to load, gets to the 52% loading textures (or therabouts) and then a message pops up indicating the CW2 has stopped working. No errors, not explanation.

The mainlog does not show any errors that I can see.

So I uninstalled and then reinstalled the game via Steam and the game again ran for 2 sessions.

When I tried to initiate the game again, it is back to the same problem as above.

I have done this twice now and can duplicate this exactly. By uninstalling and re-installing I can get the game to run for 1-2 sessions and then it stops working again.

Since there are no error messages, I don't know where to begin trying to troubleshoot the system.

Any ideas?

SNAFU

major snafu
Corporal

Re: CW2 stopped working message

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:30 pm

So I made some progress.

If I go into the steam directory and right-click and say "Run as administrator", then the game runs.

If I set the properties for the executable to be run as administrator, then the game will not run regardless of if I run it from Steam or from a shortcut on the desktop. It also doesn't seem to matter if I am logged into Steam or not.

but, of course, you have to start steam or the game will not run from directly running the executable.

uninstalling and reinstalling corrects this, but only for 1 to 2 runs of the game and the problem returns.

Regards,

SNAFU

Durk

Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:53 am

I only know running outside of Steam, but it seems you have identified the problem and solution. With updates to Windows you must run as an admin.

wrlertola
Corporal

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:39 am

I get the same thing 95% of the time when I start the game, first time it gets to 52% and stops (occasionally a bit more or less), gives an error message and then a box with option to close program. I close it and start it again and it loads fine the 2nd time, every time. :bonk:

wrlertola
Corporal

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:22 pm

(Edit) This sucks, workaround functioned for a while but now it does the same thing on the first try, 52% get stuck-error message-close program-works on 2nd try.

I found an easy workaround that hasn't yet resulted in the game getting stuck at 52% after 10 attempts to start the game.
Go to the game folder and right click on CW2.exe.
Left click on Create Shortcut.
Drag the new shortcut to your desktop.
Use that new shortcut to start the game.

Njordz
Conscript

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:19 pm

I don't know whether it could help somebody in future but I had the same problem almost every time I tried to launch the game. I found the only cure for steam version that works every time - checking the integrity of game files. When you launch this option steam finds one mysterious file to download and after that it works fine for a long time.

Captain_Orso

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:37 am

Do you know which file it was?

Njordz
Conscript

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm still trying to figure it out.

Njordz
Conscript

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:21 pm

I've found what causing the issue. It's a setting file. Every time you change something in the settings game works unless you exit. Then it doesn't work unless you check the integrity of game files again. So when the game opens again you can find that all settings are default. Still trying to figure out whether it it display settings or a game one or both. If I find what exactly ruins the game I write it there.

Njordz
Conscript

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:16 pm

I've discovered the exact setting causing the whole issue! It's "Textures initialized" . When it's ON you can't run the game without a message error.

Njordz
Conscript

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:07 pm

It is TexAtStart line in General.opt. It should be 0.
Can't understand why the community should do it and not the developers... Such a brilliant game and such a shitty performance.

wrlertola
Corporal

Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:43 am

Njordz wrote:I've discovered the exact setting causing the whole issue! It's "Textures initialized" . When it's ON you can't run the game without a message error.

Thanks for finding this Njordz, since I've turned this setting off its loading every time without issue.
You rock! :hat:

simovitch
Corporal

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:32 pm

Njordz wrote:It is TexAtStart line in General.opt. It should be 0.
Can't understand why the community should do it and not the developers... Such a brilliant game and such a shitty performance.

Someone give this man a cigar, courtesy of the "hours of needless suffering" department.

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”