major snafu
Corporal

Slow scrolling of map

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi all,

I am a bit surprised at how much lag there is in scrolling the map around.

I have this game installed on my flightsim rig and I also play other games like Crusader Kings 2 with ease.

My system specs exceed what this game requires, but the scrolling is very slow and jerky.

If I click on the mini-map to change my viewing location, I will usually see a message pop up that says the Civil War II is not responding. If I don't do anything, then eventually the map will re-position to where I clicked and I can continue on.

Any ideas on what might be going on and how to resolve it?

csiemers
Sergeant

Re: Slow scrolling of map

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 am

Unfortunately, Ageod doesn't take advantage of multi-core cpus. Their games only run on one core which can cause turns and scrolling to be slow.

major snafu
Corporal

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Ah. Many thanks. I will just stay zoomed in more, which seems to help with the scrolling. As I become more facile with the map this should be less and less of an issue.

Thanks,

SNAFU

major snafu
Corporal

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:02 pm

So I am coming back to this with just a few additional comments:

1) I have been watching a number of the lets learn videos by Spink and the scrolling of the map in his videos is much faster and less laggy then on my system, and these videos are years old.

I find it difficult to believe that my system could be less capable that a system that much older, especially with the graphics card I have in mine - but oh well.

2) the slider that is supposed to allow you to change the amount of system RAM the game can use seems to not work in the current version. No matter where I set it, if I then switch to another tab in the settings or close and restart the game it is always in the far left position.

3) I have tried all of the texture positions, and they have little to no impact that I can discern on the map scrolling

4) Enabling or disabling the loading of all textures are start also seems to have no effect on map scrolling - but it certainly slows the initialization of the game.

Nikel

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:16 pm

You may try editing the file General.opt manually with a text editor like wordpad.

Code: Select all

// How much of the physical memory % we allow to be used before cache is checked for old textures
MemUsage         = 75

Save and close the file, open it again to check that the change is conserved.

It is in the folder

Code: Select all

\Civil War II\CW2\Settings

major snafu
Corporal

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 pm

@Nikel - thanks for that tip. I will try it.

Okay. That worked a treat. Much, much improved.

Thanks again.

SNAFU

Pocus

Thu May 04, 2017 3:11 pm

the setting was disabled as too many people had stability issues with this one.

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”