Captain_Orso

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:02 pm

This really belongs on the main CW2 forum. These are not technical issues, but game play issues. Besides, not everybody looks on the other sub-forums, and your post can easily be overlooked.

adamjohnson wrote:Hi,

I was wondering about the combat in civil war 2. I have played many many hours now and still dont get it.

1. How can I determine which battle plan/tactic is best vs XY? There seems to be no information about the real benefits. Yes there is some text, but this doesnt explain any of the combat results I had so far.

IIRC when you select a BP, the possible responses of the enemy commander are noted in either green or red. If a response is in red, if the enemy commander selects it, it will fail, or more than likely fail, or something like that.

adamjohnson wrote:2. How to use terrain advantages?
It seems there is something like space for a front line. So in theory, if I have stronger units I will benefit from a smaller front line since I can have my stronger units engage weaker ones without getting flanked. In praxis this seems not to work at all. I got no info about how big/small a front line is. No info if flanking works and if yes how strong it is. Also there is no info about anything regarding combat and terrain bonus. Programmer, could you please add a simple interface that shows exactly how much a unit (regiment) gains or suffers while in combat? Like in hearts of iron. There you hover over a unit with your mouse in a combat and u see "+5% attack for mountain, -15% for being in a open terrain ect.). Also there is info about front lines. Lets say I have front line of 10 but the area offers only 8. Then only 80% of my forces fight at once. I think this is right now in the game but since we dong know the front line of any terrain/region and dont know the front line of our entire stacks it is pointless and combat feels random. No info, no planning, no fun

I don't remember which one at the moment, but there are map-filters you can apply, like pressing <2> to show regions through which you can send supplies, but also it will cause the tool-tip in cities, forts, depots, etc, to show some additional supply information.

To see additional terrain information on the tool-tip, I think you use <7> or <8>, one of the higher numbers anyway, but the tool-tip does not take leadership into account.

What terrain determines is frontage and movement, which also influences frontage. Frontage is a confusing concept, because... it's weird, but I guess it works: Frontage

Think of frontage like this, you are playing a table-top game, and to set up a battle you take a number of matchbox drawers equal to what the terrain table stated for the terrain/weather, and which you get to fill with combat units. Depending on the regional commander, you may increase the number of matchboxes a little, or possibly double or triple their number. This is the first, but not least, part of Frontage. This is done for infantry and support units separately. Think of the support units (artillery, supply trains, engineers, etc.) frontage as a second row of matchboxes you get to fill.

Each side determines their frontage-width for infantry and support, and then start to pick which units will be put into the frontage. Basically the best units are picked first determined by cohesion and offensive or defensive fire-power, depending on whether attacking or defending. Units are the 'counters' inside stacks. If you click on a stack on the map, it's contained units are show in the Stack-Panel at the bottom of the map. Each counter in the Stack-Panel is a unit. Divisions, which are made by combining one or more units are officially called combi-units, and for all game purposes, are 'units'.

Units are made up of one or more sub-units, or elements, each of which has a model, which describes the characteristics of the element. One of the characteristics is the 'Move type', which in conjunction with the terrain tables, determine how 'fast' a unit can move in a specific terrain in a specific weather.

So the mobility of each sub-unit determines which portion, of the matchboxes each sub-unit will fill.

The terrain tables will show you that partisans move relatively quickly through very poor terrain, which means that if a battle takes place in mountain or swamp, partisans, and other irregular, units will be more concentrated in the frontage, than line infantry, which can mean that your well trained line infantry could easily lose to normally poor fighting partisans.

adamjohnson wrote:3. Tool tips
I have read the manual and it seems some of the explanations do not fit the game I have played. 2 things I totally dont get but find VERY important:
1. There are 3 bars with colors, red green and green(?). I assume 1. is for supply and ammo (even those needed 2 different bars) 2. bar is for cohesion (cant u just call it organisation ? :-) and 3. is for manpower. But I am not sure.

From left to right, in order of importance are: Hits, Cohesion, Supply. If the display has only two status-bars, they are always Hits, and Cohesion.

adamjohnson wrote:The other thing is the after combat screen. I can see how much each unit lost in hit points and cohersion. But I am not sure about the summary at the top, whcih is most important to me. The losses on top DO NOT reflect the sum of losses of the individual units. I have counted them and losses in cohersion and hit points never sum up there. So I have to assume these numbers are something else. But I do not see what. And it is not the remaining hit points

At least one thing which occurs through a battles being fought, but which is not represented in the battle report is pursuit damage. I believe the battle summery may contain that, but the unit summery may not. Also, IIRC simply being in the battle causes cohesion loss, which is not posted in the unit summery.

You'll just have to take it with a grain of salt. What the units look like at the start of the next turn is what counts, and there's nothing you can do about it after the battle anyway. Command sensibly before and after the battle, and the battle will take care of itself.

adamjohnson wrote:So in general, this game could be amazing. But unless you implement a combat screen that shows us what is going on in a battle (I really want to see ALL factors somehow, best in a interface similar to hearts of iron) and unless you make some of the interface more intuitive, I dont see a future for this othwerwise amazing game.

Hopefully get some answers and a patch soon

Hmmm, maybe I should have read to the end before starting to answer this. I'm not really interested in do-it my-way-or-you're-not-good-enough-for-me posts, especially because you have not in any way addressed what the advantage of seeing "ALL factors" would be.

Grant did not need to know who had what sized shoes or even how many of which size shoes were worn by how many soldiers in his army. All he needed to know, was that all of his soldiers had proper footwear available and the cost, although they never did. The army quartermaster might need such statistics about how many of which size shoes soldiers in the army needed, but that's not what this game does.

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”