Merritttronic
Civilian

"Load Game" button/function does not work

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:33 pm

I purchased Civ War II about a month ago. The Load Game button has never worked, instead bringing up a critical error message asking me to post the game log and save files on the forum. Which I think I have done correctly (?) As you can tell computers are not something I know much about.

As an aside this is my favorite game as is the first version.

Possibly unrelated, the first version of this game "the blue and the grey" had a similar issue which forum readers or game designers helped fix in that the saved games had gone to a place different from where the game looked for them due to some Windows 7 interference, if I remember correctly.

In any case Possibly unrelated as well, there appears to be a "ghost" path for saved games as it took a bit of digging for me to find the saved games. So one path is from the "My Games" folder which has no actual files in it, just folders (I think) and the other comes from "User" "My Documents" "My games". I did use the default directories when installing the game if that matters.

Does anybody have some time and goodwill to help me solve this inability to load games? It seems somewhat important as my game used to crash a lot until I learned to close it completely every time I walk away from the computer for more than a few minutes (memory leakage one thread suggested?) but even with that trick I got an inability to use the "resume" game function for the first time today which I was seemingly able to solve thanks to a thread here that suggested to delete the automatic file and paste the last backup.

So now resume game appears to be back up and functional but still no "load game" functionality.

Thanks ahead of time for any / all pointers. - Merritttronic

P.S> did I happen to mention I L O V E this game otherwise
Attachments
civilwar save7-6.zip
(304.6 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Civ War Crash.jpg

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Pocus

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 am

This is probably related to a corrupted saved game file. In the archive you gave, I see for example a 0 byte order file, which is definitively not that many orders :)

So if you don't mind losing saved games, I advice deleting them all, the program will recreate the saves folder anyway. Look for its correct location by opening the Options Window, in the Main Menu and check what is written in white.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Merritttronic
Civilian

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:50 am

It appears that your simple idea was simply correct. I appreciate learning new things about how these programs work their magic. I moved all of the saved games out of the saved game folder and now the load menu screens comes up properly. (With no saved games of course) How easy was that! I moved the last saved game back in and it appears in the load game menu (not the resume game interestingly though). Back to Armchair Generalship-ing. Generalling?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Pocus

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:33 am

That's because there is no magic, only logic :)

You're welcome, we are also here to help players!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”