midnight
Private

Corrupt save games

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:30 pm

I have been having a number of problems with the game crashing and the saved game getting corrupted. I have turned off save compression which fixed one problem with a missing/broken .dll.

However another frequent problem is that when I click next turn the game will say that it is saving (which it doesn't normally say) and then return to the main menu. When I resume the game it crashes and then a 0 byte .hst file is created overwriting my valid save along with a single USA.ord file (I'm playing as USA) . Now I would send the logs but I tried backing up an old save game and the logs have been overwritten, next time it happens I will post them here.

Any suggestions as it is becoming fairly painful having to redo turns all the time.

Thanks in advance

Pocus

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:19 pm

Are you saving the games in the user directory, something like C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\AGE ?

You can alternatively save it directly into the in-game directory but that should not be your first choice. These 0 byte files are tied to an anti-virus or anti-malware problem, i.e the game is forbidden to write properly its saved game. You must also be sure to have administrative privileges onto your PC, and perhaps lowering User Account setting one notch can do good here.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

midnight
Private

Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks Pocus. Yes it is saving in the users directory and as a work around I've been manually copying the files before ending each turn. How do you change the saved game directory? I can see the directory in options but can't edit it. I'm an admin and I don't think changing UAC controls will help as it successfully writes the save games to that directory (just not all the time). Maybe it is my anti virus, are there any known issues with Avast?

Pocus

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:47 am

you have to open the game directory itself, and alongside CW2.EXE (same directory I mean), you should find an empty file named userpath.ini. Rename or delete it, and now the game will save the games in CW2\Saves

Avast should be ok, this is a reliable AV, although I think sometime it thought that our engine was a malware! Perhaps it is restricting write access here then. Do you have something like a whitelist in AV?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

midnight
Private

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks for the help Pocus, I've delete the userpath.ini and am just about to start a new campaign. FYI there is a whitelist in avast but I've installed on a separate drive to my OS so theoretically there should be no issues writing. If there is this will be the first thing I try.

Thanks again

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”