GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Disappearing Fleet

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:44 pm

PbeM: I rescued a force from NC using the Chowan river. They boarded the ships (one Turn).

Then I sailed to Ft Monroe with three Divs and Support aboard (next Turn).

Third Turn, I open the files and see the Divs "offshore" and perhaps "in" Monroe, but one 2 element Brig Unit and four two element TP Units have vanished. Now, they did get shot at by the opponent's Fort in Norfolk and were pretty red (it was an emergency operation), but there were no messages to that effect. Also, it appears from reading the Movements that, at least temporarily, the program was naming the fleet in question and a fleet parked in Delaware as "12. Fleet".

Searched thoroughly - they just disappeared. If sunk, no messages. If sunk, how did the land forces survive? I did have to put them in Monroe, it seemed, sure looked like it. Did the boats sink, but the land Units still survive? Why no report of sunk ships?

I am reporting this for general knowledge. I will supply files if wanted, but I'm not that perturbed, just curious more than anything else. Maybe needs a look-see.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:50 pm

GraniteStater wrote:PbeM: I rescued a force from NC using the Chowan river. They boarded the ships (one Turn).

Then I sailed to Ft Monroe with three Divs and Support aboard (next Turn).

Third Turn, I open the files and see the Divs "offshore" and perhaps "in" Monroe, but one 2 element Brig Unit and four two element TP Units have vanished. Now, they did get shot at by the opponent's Fort in Norfolk and were pretty red (it was an emergency operation), but there were no messages to that effect. Also, it appears from reading the Movements that, at least temporarily, the program was naming the fleet in question and a fleet parked in Delaware as "12. Fleet".

Searched thoroughly - they just disappeared. If sunk, no messages. If sunk, how did the land forces survive? I did have to put them in Monroe, it seemed, sure looked like it. Did the boats sink, but the land Units still survive? Why no report of sunk ships?

I am reporting this for general knowledge. I will supply files if wanted, but I'm not that perturbed, just curious more than anything else. Maybe needs a look-see.

They really got hit hard by Norfolk, two times and in both over 20 hits.
The bug would be why those divisions did not drown? ;)

RebelYell
General of the Army

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Maybe the second firing was at Ft Monroe? So they sunk in the harbor, that time I got hit back, that would indicate fort guns duelling it out.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:35 am

DISAPPEARING UNITS

...on the Battle Screen, also. Had a battle where a Div Leader was WIA (but known as such only from the Messages) and all the Brigades in his Div vanished - but no Messages about their destruction. Nor any such representation on the BS, either - no slashes or anything to indicate WIA and units wiped out.

So I had a Div wiped out and the Leader WIA, although the Hearts & Crosses didn't indicate this, they still had Strength and Cohesion left. Not solely a display issue; apparently I lost the Unit.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 am

Not sure if this is helpful, GS, but I was confused about something similar for a while, and now kind of understand. Maybe it is the same for you. In the BS there are two numbers after the heart for each division, the first is starting hits the second is how many you lost. If the second is equal to one less than the first, then the division is wiped and the leader is alive. If the leader has a line through him but the numbers are far apart, the leader died but the men survived and are likely to still be in the stack, but loose.

In the messages if there is a route you can see where your men went or if they were captured. After brigades route, what happens to them or their regiments isn't in the BS, even if they are all captured. Same is true for brigades and regiments which disappear due to attrition.

Also look closely through the messages for information about sunk ships. I wish all of these had BS or BS-like notifications so I could more easily see what happened (when I am on both sides of these occurrences).

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:42 pm

tripax, I don't think I was unclear and I've documented many a UI. I make mistakes, still do, but I think I have described what I saw accurately.

The Div was nowhere near a wipeout - the Bdes are gone. The Leader had no indicator on the BS to show WIA - that was in the Messages. No Messages about losing the Bdes.

Most probably, the code is in error - about display, what to do with loose Bdes after the Leader takes a hike, or both.

I've documented this, too - UI elements and what is populating them. Something is in error, without question, imo.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

RebelYell
General of the Army

Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:49 pm

GraniteStater wrote:tripax, I don't think I was unclear and I've documented many a UI. I make mistakes, still do, but I think I have described what I saw accurately.

The Div was nowhere near a wipeout - the Bdes are gone. The Leader had no indicator on the BS to show WIA - that was in the Messages. No Messages about losing the Bdes.

Most probably, the code is in error - about display, what to do with loose Bdes after the Leader takes a hike, or both.

I've documented this, too - UI elements and what is populating them. Something is in error, without question, imo.

I think I took them prisoners.

Same happened with my lone SC brigade in the Norfolk invasion, you got almost all as prisoners.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Well, that just might be an explanation.

OK, we need to add that to our list, possibly - PoW losses not broken out by unit in BR. One icon I didn't mouseover.

Did you take the ships as prizes?

-Daniel Webster

RULES

RebelYell
General of the Army

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:10 pm

GraniteStater wrote:Well, that just might be an explanation.

OK, we need to add that to our list, possibly - PoW losses not broken out by unit in BR. One icon I didn't mouseover.

Did you take the ships as prizes?

No, I think they got sunk in the artillery duel, I lost one whole battery, massive hits in both sides inflicted.

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”