Levis
Private

Crash to Desktop

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Every time I engage in combat (campaign and both battle scenarios, either side), I get the following message: "Critical error:Profiler.dlog:error accessing file. Sorry the application will quit." The message then tells me to run with administrator rights. I did that and it didn't help. I tried setting the game to run as Windows 7 and Vista and that didn't help either. I reinstalled the game. Still no luck.

I have an ASUS Desktop PC CM6800 series with an Intel core i7-3770 CPU@3.40 GHz with 16 GB RAM running 64-bit Windows 8. The game resides on disk D: (as do all my games--including Alea Jacta Est--and they run fine.

The logs from my last test are attached.

thanks.
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Pocus

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:07 pm

In this case you can try having the saved games and the logs in directories within the game, and not in the user directory. To do so, open the game main directory, and delete the file userpath.ini . If you want to keep your saved game, you'll have to manually move them from the user dir to the new save directory though.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Levis
Private

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Thank you for your prompt response. I deleted the file userpath.ini and now the save game and logs are in the game directory. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem. As soon as there is a large battle, the error message appears and the game crashes to desktop. i will send you the saved game of my latest test.

Levis
Private

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Here is the saved game of my last test. thanks.
Attachments
1862 Shiloh~CSA.zip
(130.32 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

Pocus

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:53 am

It worked fine for me, I expected so as I believe it is a problem in file access or write on your computer. As you speak of battles, perhaps it's because of the quantity of logs generated in a small time. You can edit your general.opt file (in <game dir>\CW2\settings) and alter LogBatch line to LogBatch = 1000

.opt file can be opened as a text file.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

mariandavid
Sergeant

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Pocus:

This may be a wider problem. In my case the identical message and crash takes place during turn processing - usually around day 6! Have, deleted, reloaded and same happens.

Should the game have downloaded into two separate points? In my case (Windows 7) into 7/86/Games and 7/86/My Games - the former being much larger.

Levis
Private

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:03 pm

I changed LogBatch = 1000 and that seems to have fixed the problem. I played the Shilo scenario all the way through without a crash. Thank you for your help.

KCDennis
Corporal

Re: Crash to Desktop

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 pm

After playing the game for more than a year, I am suddenly getting this error message. It generally comes as the game starts to process the turn. I'm playing on steam, so I'm not sure if I'm able to try any of the solutions suggested here.

Captain_Orso

Re: Crash to Desktop

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Yes, you can change General.opt manually--in fact all of the .opt files in the Settings folder.

You should only manually change opt files where you are sure that it's okay. Changing LogBatch in General.opt is one of those cases.

Always make a copy of the original to a safe place where you will be able to find it again, even 6 months from now, if only to compare with your active opt files.

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”