caranorn

mod leader model and save game

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:40 am

Hello,

I recently started playing CW2, yep, one would think an alpha would have played the game before, but I never got beyond researching.

Anyhow, I was wondering why some leaders were not getting the option to be promoted despite significant gain in seniority. Ben McCulloch, after a fall and winter 1861 campaigning in the Indian Territory and Missouri had gained 11 seniority and is unpromotable while his subordinate Price is. I'm playing with slightly randomisée stats, at this point it would make no sense to promote a 3-0-3 Price over a 4-3-2 McCulloch.

So I went looking into the game files and noticed that in CW2 leaders have a tag (not on the computer right now so can't add the code here) in their model file limiting their rank, McCulloch's being 1. So I changed that setting, deleted the models cache file and launched the game with my unmodified save thinking I'd be able to promote now. But apparently not.

In the save game file I found nothing denoting rank, so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. The changes to seniority and leader stats are easily found.

So, where am I going wrong? Do I have to modify other files? Do I have to modify one or more of the save game files to make this work in an existing game (I'd hate to start over right now as things from Cairo to New Mexico are really going nicely).

At some point I may be going through all leader models as I'm sure it's not just McCulloch with this problem. I understand the addition of a non promotable tag to simulate raiders and others who'd be far from ever achieving corps command. But in other ways this looks like a throwback to BoA where only leaders with a 2* file could be promoted. So if only low ranking officers would use that tag okay, but one of the earliest promoted generals of the CS seems like a mistake.

P.S.: McCulloch is obviously one of my pet peeves. I find his traits odd to, he had been fighting Indians for decades, raised several cavalry regiments and led the largest cavalry charge of the early war. While indeed an able scout that was exactly what got him killed, crawling into a thicket alone to reconoiter enemy strength and position, and none of his subordinates knowing where he was (with McIntosh's mortal wound, Hébert captured under similar conditions to McCulloch's killing, and an incapable Pike assuming command...).

Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Re: mod leader model and save game

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:23 pm

I've always loathed the fact that I can't promote McCulloch. Numerous other non-promotable generals spring to mind, too.

caranorn

Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Indeed a throwback to BoA. Every rank requires it's own model and unit file, modifying the alias files and of course deleting the cache files in both folders.

So to add McCulloch I should add a new model file, edit the model alias file, delete the model cache file, add a new unit file, edit the unit alias file and delete the unit cache file. I will try this now and see whether it will work in my save game or needs a fresh game.

caranorn

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:15 pm

Can't seem to get either the promotion or the inclusion of the second model and unit file to work.

Attached what I have so far including my changelog.

edited original model file (also changeing some traits)
added a 2nd model file
added a 2nd unit file
edited the 2 relevant alias files
deleted the 2 relevant cache files

Not sure what's going wrong, get error in relation of the new unit file on start of game.
Last edited by caranorn on Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

caranorn

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:28 pm

I see in Col Ric's post a bit further down that there seems to be an additional aliases folder. That might be the cause for the error, possibly the new unit file being McCulloch2 in the aliases in the units folder and the original label of that unit number in the aliases folder. Will test that once I get home.

caranorn

Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:44 pm

caranorn wrote:I see in Col Ric's post a bit further down that there seems to be an additional aliases folder. That might be the cause for the error, possibly the new unit file being McCulloch2 in the aliases in the units folder and the original label of that unit number in the aliases folder. Will test that once I get home.

Okay,editing the two relevant (units and models) files in aliases fixes the errors and crashes. But I still cannot promote McCulloch in my save game, even after running the game one turn. I expect I'd still have to edit the same game, but no clue what to look for.

I think I'll take a break now.
Last edited by caranorn on Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

caranorn

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:27 pm

There was still one error in the previous files. The model's IDImage also has to be set to 2 to show the correct 2star symbol over the portrait in game.

Still haven't solved how to make him promotable, I went a few turns back in my save game to a battle which brought hm from 11 (-2) seniority to 6 (-7) which should (at least according to the 4 seniority gain rule of other Athena games) have made him promotable. But nothing. To note, in the original save he had 2 (-11) seniority, so even assuming a general has to be 1-2 seniority to be promotable regardless of difference from starting seniority he should have been promotable.

But he seems to work correctly as a 2* with these modified (I just switched his 1* model ID in the save game to his 2*, also modified his seniority from -11 to 0). So for my current purpouse I've got McCulloch to 2* in my save game, but not sure he can be promoted normally. So if someone can take a look at my files an logic I'd appreciate it.

And never forget the mantra: Check your syntax! Check your syntax! Check your sintax!
Attachments
McCulloch.zip
(27.46 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

Brigadier General

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:23 am

The inability to promote McCulloch has been a consistent issue among players, as it should be. I'm personally of the school of thought that all generals within the game should be promotable. If they've enjoyed success after success after success then it barely makes any sense to not be able to promote them, but what do I know? ;)

caranorn

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:45 am

Blood and Thunder Brigade wrote:The inability to promote McCulloch has been a consistent issue among players, as it should be. I'm personally of the school of thought that all generals within the game should be promotable. If they've enjoyed success after success after success then it barely makes any sense to not be able to promote them, but what do I know? ;)

Agreed. The not being able to promote all leaders is a partial throwback to Birth of America. This even seems to work the same way internally with any promotable leader requiring a separate file for each of his possible ranks.

Yesterday I thought about leaders a bit after reading some of Grimjaw's mod plans.

One thing that's always been confusing to players (including testers) was the star rating system. For many that was supposed to mean a military grade, so 1* would be brigadier general, 2** major general etc. But in fact that's not the case and never was in these games, So for me the current 1* should be changed into 2XX, 2* into 3XXX, 3* into 4XXXX to show the level of command (division/corps/army) these leaders have received and that independently from their actual rank (which may vary without relation to commanded forces). As 4**** is hardly ever used in the games but does exist in the code I thought that could be changed to 1x to represent leaders below division command who were remarkable raiders, spies etc., they would have division command deactivated (not sure that's doable with the code), some or all would than be promotable. But that's a rough idea and to big a project for me to start, it would need reviewing every leader in the game, so I'd have to work from the database and I've never managed to correctly exports the csv correctly.

Anyhow, in my saved game McCulloch is now a 2** and I will continue playing. Maybe at a later point I will mod some other leaders, but to a limited degree.

Brigadier General

Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:05 am

From memory, there's been quite a few people that have tried to make McCulloch promotable but to no avail. @grimjaw would surely be able to answer a great deal of the questions you might have.

viewtopic.php?f=331&t=53652
You might want to add your support here for a Civil War III. It's worth a try ;)

caranorn

Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Blood and Thunder Brigade wrote:From memory, there's been quite a few people that have tried to make McCulloch promotable but to no avail. @grimjaw would surely be able to answer a great deal of the questions you might have.

viewtopic.php?f=331&t=53652
You might want to add your support here for a Civil War III. It's worth a try ;)

I believe I've actually found the way, but in my current game he hasn't gained enough seniority yet to verify.

In the last zip I uploaded you have to add the line: <TechUpg = $ldr_CSA_McCulloch2> to his #307 model file.

As to CW3, I'm 99% certain it will not happen. I very much doubt another official game will be made on the Athena engine and Slitherine's engine would require a complete overhaul for this type of game, meaning a large budget. But I will add my supporting vote to both forums.

Brigadier General

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:28 am

Let me know if you have indeed found the way to get him promoted. Perhaps then we could try others, too? ;)

As for CW3, thanks for adding your support. As you say, it probably won't happen, but it shouldn't be for lacking of trying :)

caranorn

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:10 am

Blood and Thunder Brigade wrote:Let me know if you have indeed found the way to get him promoted. Perhaps then we could try others, too? ;)

As for CW3, thanks for adding your support. As you say, it probably won't happen, but it shouldn't be for lacking of trying :)

Though when modding more generals it would be much easier using the database. Problem is, I've never managed to correctly split the csv files. Though I guess it's something to tinker with, there has to be a way.

Brigadier General

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:36 am

caranorn wrote:
Blood and Thunder Brigade wrote:Let me know if you have indeed found the way to get him promoted. Perhaps then we could try others, too? ;)

Though when modding more generals it would be much easier using the database. Problem is, I've never managed to correctly split the csv files. Though I guess it's something to tinker with, there has to be a way.

I think it very cool that people are still tinkering with this game quite some time after its release. Speaks of its quality really :)

caranorn

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:28 am

I played around with the database and the csvsplitter a bit and seem to know how to do this correctly. I haven't tested any files generated this way in the game yet as it would be work I don't need right now.

But this way it should be possible to edit a large number of leader files as well as creating new ones. The alias files in the model and unit folders seem to be identical to the ones in the alias folder, so just copy paste the one you created with the splitter.

Here is what I've done:

how to use the database and csvsplitter

copy paste database file you wish to edit

edit lines you wish to edit

delete changelog sheet or any other sheet in the database file, only the original first one should be included

save as csv, using <;> as field delemiter

launch the csvsplitter

select the modded database file

select the folder you want the files to be exported to, the folder has to exist so create one in windows explorer first

click convert

Now you should have a complete set of files including the correct alias inside the folder you selected

if you did this to make leaders promotable to a new level you will have to do this for both the models and units folders/files

When you are done copy paste the alias file(s) into the alias folder

remember to delete the cache in the models and units folders

----------

This does not mean I will be making a large leader mod, just that I'm considering it and looking into how to do it.

caranorn

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:32 am

And to confirm. The last zip folder I uploaded here works,

you just have to add the following line

<TechUpg = $ldr_CSA_McCulloch2>

to the #307 model file

I tested this, McCulloch correctly promotes to 2* with those modded files.

I did not upload a new zip folder as my current one already has another leader partially modded and included in the database. I'd either have to complete modding that second leader or edit the alias file to avoid potential problems.

Return to “CW2 Mods”