TheEmperor
Conscript

Editing Element Names

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:50 pm

I can't seem to figure out how to change the names of individual element names in the game files, I've added new names to the files in the /gamedata/models/ sub folders but they don't seem to show up in game. I'm trying to make it so that in-game the elements will show up as '10th Kentucky' rather than 'Infantry' as it strips a bit of the games immersion away to have units misnamed or lacking names at all.

If someone with more experience modding the game files could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:05 am

You need to delete the Models.Cached file (it will be regenerated from the rest of the files in the folder). Depending on what you are editing, you may need to change the name in the Units folder as well. You may enjoy my earlier mod, http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?34979-Moding-Brigade-(Unit)-and-Regiment-(Model)-Names, which tries to do this as well.
Across the South, we have a deep appreciation of history -- we haven’t always had a deep appreciation of each other’s history. - Reverend Clementa Pinckney

TheEmperor
Conscript

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:17 am

tripax wrote:You need to delete the Models.Cached file (it will be regenerated from the rest of the files in the folder). Depending on what you are editing, you may need to change the name in the Units folder as well. You may enjoy my earlier mod, http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?34979-Moding-Brigade-(Unit)-and-Regiment-(Model)-Names, which tries to do this as well.

Ah, that must be it. Thanks Tripax. I did enjoy your mod, but I had thought that it broke following the 1.05 patch?

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:13 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure one way or the other. Don't count on me to update it soon - particularly as I'm still too busy to play let alone mod and I'm curious how grimjaw's mod comes together.

That said, I would be very surprised if it did break. The unit and model files usually only change between patches when they add new special brigades or generals, and I don't think they did, so that mod should be fine through any number of patches.
Across the South, we have a deep appreciation of history -- we haven’t always had a deep appreciation of each other’s history. - Reverend Clementa Pinckney

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Just a note, the element/unit/regiment/brigade name mod seems to not work with the current version.

Return to “CW2 Mods”