tripax
AGEod Veteran

Fri May 02, 2014 2:12 pm

I've posted above "version 0.75" of a mod which tries to make the changes described in this thread and in the links at the bottom of this post. It is "version 0.75" rather than, say, "version 1", because I am still looking for feedback.

Changes:
Revamped brigade names, following 2 posts in thread here: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35050-Infantry-unit-names&p=312009&viewfull=1#post312009

I haven't changed integrated artillery names because I believe the way these fit into the database may change. I also haven't changed any hardcoded elements.

Thank you everyone for your help.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Tue May 06, 2014 10:32 am

Current bugs I'm finding in version 0.75 include:
"&" key doesn't work in names, so unit names with this key break. This is removed in my current files and will be fixed in the next update.

I've come up with a system to easily remove brigade names that exist as hard-coded brigades (such as Longstreets Bde). I didn't remove these from the current version. The reason I didn't remove these is that I had been removing them by hand, but each time I run the script they are automatically added back. I decided that removing them by hand every time I made a change was a lot of work and by leaving them in as a sort of bug, it would give me more motivation to come up with a permanent fix, which should be included in the next version.

Sometimes when a brigade commander is listed along with some fort (for example John Cook from Fort Holt at the Battle of Belmont), the script thinks the commander's last name is the name of the fort - so in the game there is a Illinois brigade called Holt's Bde commanded by John Holt, rather than Cook's Bde commanded by John Cook. This is fixed in my current files and will be fixed in the next update.

Let me know if you find any other bugs. Also let me know if you use the mod. As I've mentioned, the mod doesn't affect the AI at all, it works in PBEMs, and it is ok if you use it and your PBEM opponent does no, with the caveat that you will still see your opponents troops with names from your opponents files, and your opponent will see your troops with names from your files. The biggest issue that this mod can cause is in PBEMs if, for instance, you create a small Virginia brigade which the game assigns the name “Longstreet’s Bde”, and your opponent is unduely nervous to approach such a foe, as he/she assumes that it is a much larger brigade.

These are the changes in Version 0.875, now posted at top.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Sat May 17, 2014 5:28 pm

I've posted version 0.9375 above.

Changes:
Brigades with blank names should now be removed. These were caused by "||"s in the unit files.
All militia should be numbered now. This will make it easier to keep track. It also means that I have removed flavor names for many militia units.
Integrated artillery now are named. These names will duplicate stand alone light artillery names. I can fix this by giving the different types names from different name pools, but I haven't done this yet.
Many brigade names that exist as hardcoded names are removed. One exception is brigades whose commanders commanded hardcoded brigades but the hardcoded brigades have flavor names. So while the Texas Brigade might have been commanded by Hood, I still have a "Hood's Brigade" as a recruitable brigade. Let me know if you think this should not be so for any particular commanders.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 18, 2014 11:06 am

I've now posted version 0.96875. Sorry to make a change so fast, but it was easy-ish and I wanted to start a new game and prefered to make this change first.

Changes:
This quick fix removes integrated artillery names which are duplicated. As a result a number of USA artillery are now nameless. This is mostly true for integrated, but also for a few MI stand-alone. There may still be some errors here. By my count, the US has too many light artillery, and I don't know if this will be easy to fix.

TheEmperor
Conscript

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:14 am

Not sure if you're still doing this unit model and name mod, but it'd be great if you could add in more unit names for states like Kentucky, where you get to raise some twenty or so brigades, but in only two of the brigades will the regiments have names. Just generic names like "22nd Kentucky", anything would be better than "Infantry". I'd do it myself, but I'm not sure how too.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:04 pm

TheEmperor wrote:Not sure if you're still doing this unit model and name mod, but it'd be great if you could add in more unit names for states like Kentucky, where you get to raise some twenty or so brigades, but in only two of the brigades will the regiments have names. Just generic names like "22nd Kentucky", anything would be better than "Infantry". I'd do it myself, but I'm not sure how too.

That is exactly what this mod did (plus a couple things). It isn't compatible with newer patches so I need to update it and promise to do it this week (I just got back from a trip and had just started upgradding my mods before I left). Unfortunately, the newer patches don't display long unit names in the bottom stack panel. Hopefully this is changed back soon.

TheEmperor
Conscript

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:03 am

tripax wrote:That is exactly what this mod did (plus a couple things). It isn't compatible with newer patches so I need to update it and promise to do it this week (I just got back from a trip and had just started upgradding my mods before I left). Unfortunately, the newer patches don't display long unit names in the bottom stack panel. Hopefully this is changed back soon.

Ah, thanks very much Trip, will the mod be compatible for both the latest beta patch and the current steam patch?

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Keeler wrote:I noticed the following:

The NY 12lbers shares the same namepool as the Kentucky 10lbers (1st KY Stones...)
The CT Artillery has some typos (such as 6rd MA Battery) and some repetitious wording (3rd Bty Maine Battery)
THe MA Coastal Artillery shares the same namepool as the NY Coastal and NY Siege Artillery (Governor Morgans)
There is a typo in the MO Brigade Name for Plummers Bde.

Hope that helps.

I've added the newest update above to work with patch 1.04. I've also fixed the bugs noted by Keeler in the other thread and pasted here. I do not know what the newest steam patch is, but if you see CW2 1.04 in the lower, right corner of your startup screen, it should work.

Hanz
Civilian

Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Tripax, thanks for this great mod. :thumbsup:
But, is it only compatible with the 1862 campaign scenario?
Because I can't play the 1863 and 1864 campaign with your mod.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Oh no. I use it with the 1861 April full scenario. Does it work for you for any scenarios?

Hanz
Civilian

Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:26 am

It works fine with the 1861 scenarios and 1862 scenario.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:57 am

Hmm, I'll take a look at the models called in the '63 and '64 scenarios, there must be some difference there that my mod is missing. Thanks!

TheEmperor
Conscript

Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:18 am

tripax wrote:Hmm, I'll take a look at the models called in the '63 and '64 scenarios, there must be some difference there that my mod is missing. Thanks!

Sadly I think the mod is broken by 1.06, I've been trying to get it to work but I continually crash at the end of turn 2's processing. Are you still working on this Tripax?

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:19 am

I'm waiting for the databases for 1.06 to be made available. Once they are out, I'll get to work on compatible versions of the mod (both mods, actually), and then try to update a bit.

johandenver2
Lieutenant

Mon May 09, 2016 10:39 pm

Since your mod seems to not be working with 1.06 I'm thinking of doing sort of the same thing you initially started with. That is changing names and adding a lots of new ones (historically correct ones)

So I throw these questions out there, hoping someone can help me :-)

1. Is it very hard to just change/add unit names and possibly leaders?
2. Is there any kind of guide for how I go about doing this?
3. Are there any kind of limits for how many units you can raise or is this limited by conscript pools?
4. If so, can you make conscript pools larger by editing a specific file?

Return to “CW2 Mods”