grimjaw
General

Re: Forcepool mod, WIP screenshots

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:10 pm

Work on the mod has slowed but not stopped. Wading through the Confederate Virginia artillery would retard the progress of anyone, in my opinion. I didn't know they had so many artillery companies. Vanilla CW2 represents about 25-30 of them, but i count at least 50 that remained in service in one form or another through 1864. There were 5-10 companies that were disbanded or consolidated in the reorganization of artillery in October '62 and I'm not even counting that in the 50. I've been trying to find a reasonably efficient way of representing them, from a scripting point of view, that reflects the guns they started with, if I can even find that recorded somewhere, and the method of allowing them to upgrade later, and why. Did they get new guns from captures or where they issued guns built at Tredegar or the like? How/why do I script the conversion of a VA artillery battery from 6-pdrs to 12-pdrs if the guns were captured in Maryland but the player sent all the VA batteries to Texas? It's as much a question of location and logistics as anything.

Anyway, I try to make a little time every day or every other day to script or tweak another event, in between servicing farm equipment or trying to dry out the last 300 acres to get them worked and planted. Many are the days I wish I could win a lottery.

Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Mon May 10, 2021 6:31 am

You still after the bio's for those generals you named, chief?

grimjaw
General

Wed May 12, 2021 3:06 pm

I'd say there's no rush. Due to the weather and picking up some side work, I have been unable to spend much time on the mod lately. It will probably be July before I have time to even piddle with it, much less concentrate on it. Most of my days this last week have been spent staring at the ass end of the truck in front of me.

20210512_090137.jpg
20210512_090137.jpg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 5497 times

Brigadier General

Thu May 13, 2021 11:42 am

grimjaw wrote:I'd say there's no rush. Due to the weather and picking up some side work, I have been unable to spend much time on the mod lately. It will probably be July before I have time to even piddle with it, much less concentrate on it. Most of my days this last week have been spent staring at the ass end of the truck in front of me.

20210512_090137.jpg

I had intended to have this done a while back but between our major harvest season of cherries and apples and a rambunctious 3yo daughter it doesn't leave me with a lot of time. Now that the harvest is over however I should be able to get it seen to.

That's quite a view! ;) What kind of rig do you have?

ThoughtfulPug
Conscript

Mon May 17, 2021 3:14 pm

grimjaw wrote:Did you you make a mod folder to install the mod into?

Did you direct the game to use that folder?

Did you get both compressed files for version 0.35 of the mod?

The mod is incomplete but it should not cause the game engine to fail to start. I have to test mod changes with the engine all the time. It may not have been reported to me, but so far this is the first I've heard of this particular problem.

Sorry I haven't responded in a while, been focused on school stuff and other projects.
I've done all of this as instructed. I'm still getting errors. Tryed it again today, got following error:
"TFileParser.Preload File not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Civil War II\grimjawmods\Settings\Display.opt
I checked "Settings" in the mod folder, there was no "Display.opt" it mentioned. I'm gonna try copy/paste that file from the main game folder over to the mod folder to see if it fixes anything.

ThoughtfulPug
Conscript

Mon May 17, 2021 6:35 pm

Update: I did as I said in previous reply post, and c/p'd the Display.opt file to the mod folder, this seemed to stop that error. However, I've gotten a new error in its place in the loading screen immediately:
https://i.imgur.com/a37UASy.png
I don't know what the heck I'm supposed to be doing to get this to work.

grimjaw
General

Thu May 20, 2021 12:27 am

That's quite a view! ;) What kind of rig do you have?

It's not mine, I occasionally drive other farmers' rigs when they are hauling grain.

Thoughtfulpug, from your descriptions it sounds to me like the mod folder wasn't created correctly or completely in the first place. Display.opt isn't a file that's part of the mod.

There are instructions for creating a mod folder elsewhere on the forum, as well as 8n the mod installation instructions. I'm typing this from a phone and can't look into much of anything for at least a few days, but I am curious to know if you were able to play the unmodified game at all, without using the mod or a mod folder.

TC271
Sergeant

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Hello,

Any idea why I get the error in the screenshot?

Running the Steam version.

Thankyou.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (195.49 KiB) Viewed 4988 times

grimjaw
General

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:31 pm

Without knowing more about your setup I can't say for sure, but that kind if error is usually to related to the models and/or units folders. Will have to be this weekend or beginning of next week before I can look into it.

ThoughtfulPug
Conscript

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:03 pm

So, been some time since I last posted. Actually had gotten it to work, and had a game a while back that I got to around turn 60. That was fun but then i dropped off for a bit.

I tried getting back into the game recently...but it seems that something else is broken. I keep getting this loading error.
https://i.imgur.com/NS1QCfN.png
I decided to uninstall the game, reinstall it and the mod files, and see if that fixed it. No dice.
I don't know what this is, as I don't speak French. Kinda want to know WHY its in French.
Btw, for your information, my computer is an ASUS gaming laptop. I don't know much about laptops and whatnot to really understand anything else in the "About" section of my computer, but if its necessary to know wtf is happening here, you can ask.

deguerra
Major

Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:10 pm

ThoughtfulPug wrote:So, been some time since I last posted. Actually had gotten it to work, and had a game a while back that I got to around turn 60. That was fun but then i dropped off for a bit.

I tried getting back into the game recently...but it seems that something else is broken. I keep getting this loading error.
I decided to uninstall the game, reinstall it and the mod files, and see if that fixed it. No dice.
I don't know what this is, as I don't speak French. Kinda want to know WHY its in French.
Btw, for your information, my computer is an ASUS gaming laptop. I don't know much about laptops and whatnot to really understand anything else in the "About" section of my computer, but if its necessary to know wtf is happening here, you can ask.

Hi ThoughtfulPug,

I'm by no means certain if this will fix your particular issue, but I have had issues with crashes during start-up of CW2 before. What has helped me:
- always starting CW2.exe in Administrator mode
- where the game crashes on start-up, re-run the CW2.exe once or twice (again in Administrator mode) and see if that works

I have no rhyme or reason for it, but usually after a few attempts the game will load for me. Hope that helps. If not, I believe the "official" tech support is now via the slitherine forums: https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=252&sid=3e200fb843debd8f60235d4c42d68603

All the best!
-deguerra

grimjaw
General

Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:48 pm

Does it produce the same error without the mod?

Syrius337
Conscript

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:25 pm

ThoughtfulPug wrote:So, been some time since I last posted. Actually had gotten it to work, and had a game a while back that I got to around turn 60. That was fun but then i dropped off for a bit.

ThoughtfulPug, I have done the same error because I was a little mislead by the installation instructions here: "If you aren't familiar with it, a mod folder for CW2 consists of the Civil War 2\CW2 folder and sub-folders and all the files therein, copied to a folder with a different name inside the main CW2 directory." What it means is main Civil War II Directory". But then I got it wright.

Therefore your mod folder isn't in the right location. It is in the Steam\steamapps\common\Civil War II\CW2, and it's supposed to be one folder above, here: Steam\steamapps\common\Civil War II. In the end it should look like this: Steam\steamapps\common\Civil War II\CW2\MODNAME.

Hope this helps. Btw I still have some minor error when I start it (something about some TUnitDef.GetFirstModel 1135 NULL...), but it seems to run fine. Will reinstall and see if it still happens.
It seems the error persists. I have deleted the contains of Models and Units before pasting your mod into the folder, but the error is still there. Here is my Log File:
Attachments
Mod1.rar
(733.14 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

grimjaw
General

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:16 pm

Syrius337, I'm sorry the instructions weren't more clear.

The error you're getting is related to a model that the developers originally had in there for documentation/delineation purposes. As long as the rest of the units are appearing like they should you can safely ignore it for now. I'll clean that up in the next version.

jm

grimjaw
General

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:36 am

I am no longer updating or maintaining this mod as of the date of this post.

I had started work on it again in December. I had been researching what it would take to create an attrition/promotion system for leaders, and had made quite a bit of progress. Then I got Hearts of Iron IV for Christmas.

I already knew that working on the mod was a dead end, but before I started playing HOI I didn't know just how much work had been done and published elsewhere. I can't really justify the time on continuing.

Thanks to everyone who provided encouragement and feedback on the process.

jm

Brigadier General

Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:20 pm

@grimjaw
What's Hearts of Iron IV like? I remember buying HOI3 with great excitement only for that excitement to evaporate within a few hours of playing it. Quite frankly I thought HOI3 was complete bollocks; so much so that I turned to Darkest Hour, which, besides almost absolutely predictable AI, I believed completely superior.

grimjaw
General

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:34 am

I never played HOI3 so I can't give you a comparison.

HOI4 is WW2-centric, so quite a bit different than mid 19th century focus. The base game w/o DLCs focuses on the main players from WW2 although you can pick just about any country on the globe. With DLCs several of the other countries are fleshed out.

I read that some people don't like the force structure, but as I haven't read up on how close or far it is to historical accuracy I'm not complaining. It's significantly different than AGE. Building blocks start with the battalion, which make up regiments, but regiments are just a grouping of similar types of units, like mobile, infantry, armor. One or more battalions make up a division, and divs are the fighting units. A division can be a single battalion or up to 25 battalions in five "regiments" and up to five support companies. Several similarities to AGE, maybe other strategy games, I haven't played many. But with HOI you can create several division templates and assign them to divisions on the board, so you could refit your infantry as motorized, or back again, and only have to wait for the equipment to arrive, also some time for them to train up on new equipment.

The leader personalities, besides the political ones like Churchill, are made up, I think, although they are supposed to mirror the command structure or environment they had back then. Several eaely Euro leaders have trench warfare on the brain since the last big one was WW1, that kind of thing. It has many political options (currently deciding how divide up Romania between myself as italy and my ally Bulgaria: do I want to make then a puppet state, annex some for the resources, liberate it in sections. There's whole research and asset production elements, infrastructure. If there's another game with this many elements that's better somehow than HOI I'll try it. Large mod community, that's even gone to the lengths of throwing Lord of the Rings total conversion together, and many other mods great and small. Even little bits of humor throughout. Heck even the music player was fun to play with. From what I can tell it lacks a comprehensive printed manual, but there hasn't been a question I haven't found the answer to online. There is a sale at Stean lasting until Feb 3 where you can get the base game for less than $10US, hard to beat when i consider I paid that much for the original CW1 off a bargain rack at a department store in 2011.

hanny1
Captain

Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:15 pm

Blood and Thunder Brigade wrote:@grimjaw
What's Hearts of Iron IV like? I remember buying HOI3 with great excitement only for that excitement to evaporate within a few hours of playing it. Quite frankly I thought HOI3 was complete bollocks; so much so that I turned to Darkest Hour, which, besides almost absolutely predictable AI, I believed completely superior.

Base game is pretty good, some DLC are must haves and some are dead ducks, if your into more historical than free form, try the black ice mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUh9NYkRaKc

Return to “CW2 Mods”