regne-valencia
Conscript

why not this game in steam?

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:06 pm

I dont understan why this game is not in steam,is not an old game,and have good quality,can somebody explain why is not in steam this game?

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:25 pm

Maybe the dev does not need this.
I think that devs who don't make games for money do not care about Steam.

seathom
Colonel

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:40 pm

Developers who make games should care about Steam. It plays a very important role in how many wargamers get their products. If those developers don't care about money, they should care about their customers. I have read that some developers said they appreciate it when customers buy games directly through Maxis/Slitherine, as it helps them. I assume partly because they don't need to pay the middleman. Oops, that can't be right, then it would be partly about the money.

I believe, with two exceptions, having to upgrade your product manually and having one place to find all your games, buying from the developers is the preferred way to purchase these games. I have recently made the decision to do that, but only for these developers, because I very much want them to succeed and feel personally invested in their success (simply for the selfish reason their games give me so much enjoyment and I feel I owe them that!)

I do hope that in the future, more games would be offered on Steam because that should increase their sales so more players can know the enjoyment their games give us. I guess this argument is left for the accountants to make.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:04 am

seathom wrote:If developers don't care about money, they should care about their customers.

Sure, they have to make a good game, well patched.

having to upgrade your product manually

It's very easy.
and having one place to find all your games,

My external HD. Saves of games are on the Windows8.1 cloud.

Lazyness of a customer deserves him.
Steam users make the pc a console, and maybe they mock console games lol.

TJD
Sergeant

Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:50 pm

ERISS wrote:Sure, they have to make a good game, well patched.

It's very easy.

My external HD. Saves of games are on the Windows8.1 cloud.

Lazyness of a customer deserves him.
Steam users make the pc a console, and maybe they mock console games lol.

Eriss, I think you're being needlessly argumentative. Seathom made respectable points, and doesn't deserve mockery.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:47 pm

TJD wrote: respectable points, doesn't deserve mockery.

Invaders have the means of respectability.
I think that self-respectfull devs tried to be independant, but Steam made them loss of customers and money (if they want to stay independant from Steam too). So now many have to be waged workers for editors, many which finally become dependant of Steam and maybe these devs feel even worst, even they have now some money each months.
Who tries to be respectfull of devs, resist the Steam invasion, we see the pc games going in Gabbe hands, which himself tried to be not dependant from Microsoft. I'm not fond of Windows, but it gives me more freedom than Steam, as it is far easier to find legal or illegal alternatives for Windows than for Steam.
So, why not on Steam?: for freedom of pc games. They do not have to be all on, even good ones.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Most people who ask for Steam integration just want to buy the games on sale, Ageod games for 2.99$ is never gonna happen hopefully.

I don't get why everything has be on Steam. Why not simply buy the download version from Ageod? It works! I don't see what Steam has to do in it, it's not like Steam is needed to play games.

ashandresash
Captain

Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:09 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:Most people who ask for Steam integration just want to buy the games on sale, Ageod games for 2.99$ is never gonna happen hopefully.

I don't get why everything has be on Steam. Why not simply buy the download version from Ageod? It works! I don't see what Steam has to do in it, it's not like Steam is needed to play games.

I don't think it's for sales (they're decided by publishers eventually). In my opinion Steam provides some useful tools for MPs involving more than two players (chat, groups, taking and sharing screenshots easily...) which help coordination efforts. For example, we are about to start a (modded) 5-players ROP game, and I'll be joining soon an ongoing TEAW MP as Italy (we're almost ten players there). Anyway, I use to buy my games in Matrix/Ageod site as it's said to be more profitable for developers, and providing a steam key also is a very good deal.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Yes, but it seems obvious to that Ageod that have taken the route of publishing under Matrix/Slitherine, and most of the other games there are also not on Steam (different target group, different pricing policy). Games may end up on Steam eventually, but there also must be reasons if this hasn't happened.

LCcmdr
Captain

Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Had it not been for Steam's sale of Civil War 2, I'd never known about AGEOD games. So, I think that Steam offers a tremendous marketing/advertising boon for a developer. Indeed, after I bought the AGEOD titles on the latest Steam sale, I then went to AGEOD's site and bought several others at retail. In both ways, AGEOD got sales that it would never have, if Steam had not been involved.

Steam offers me a convenient launching site, along with constant upgrades, community connections, friends, guides, and notification of other, similar games. Since I'm coming home tired from work, having a single "store" that's always alerting me to new games is a great benefit (for someone like me who doesn't keep up otherwise). So, yes, Steam does offer a solid benefit to both developer and user.

Of course, it's the "recent" rise of forums that has made finding updates and fixing common issues more convenient, as well. So, for those more-into-forums/blogs, this venue is probably viewed as the mature gamers platform as opposed to Steam's "kiddie" pool. I'm just past caring--I'll use whatever best fits my schedule, and Steam wins that honor most of the time. OTOH, AGEOD has brilliantly included a "community" button in-game that allows me to break from play and ask questions: AGEOD rocks! Great application!

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:41 pm

LCcmdr wrote:Had it not been for Steam's sale of Civil War 2, I'd never known about AGEOD games. So, I think that Steam offers a tremendous marketing/advertising boon for a developer.

Sure, that's what I tell often here: Devs should put at least one of their games on every store: Why not on GOG?

ru_disa
Private

Wed May 25, 2016 2:13 pm

ERISS wrote:Sure, that's what I tell often here: Devs should put at least one of their games on every store: Why not on GOG?

Good point

Carnium

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:34 pm

LCcmdr wrote:Had it not been for Steam's sale of Civil War 2, I'd never known about AGEOD games. So, I think that Steam offers a tremendous marketing/advertising boon for a developer.

True. But they also take like 30% of the sale price. That is why companies prefer to release FIRST without Steam.

Return to “España 1936”