Durk

Play balance in pbem play

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:12 am

It may be that the Republic becomes too strong too early once it forms the Popular Army. Its regular infantry is nearly as good as the African units the Nationalists get, and all the militia units eventually upgrade to '36 infantry.

What if creating '36 infantry unit with poorer stats, then having them upgrade to a '37 infantry unit with better stats might more representative of how the Popular Army took a few months to find its feet.

MajorMayhem
Conscript

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:07 pm

This is something I suggested to Durk as a solution to my view that the Republic becomes very powerful after forming the Popular Army.

A '36 infantry unit with poor stats would reflect the fact that the Popular Army suffered its shortages of equipment at it's formation, as well as the inherent problems of trying to reorganize a militia force into a regular army.

One other suggestion I have would be to limit the creation of armies for the Republicans in the months following the Popular Army decision. One army should be formable at the start of the game, and another following the Popular Army decision, with one more army being formable for each month that passes following the decision.

Right now it feels that the Republic merely has to hold on until it can create the Popular Army, at which point most of it's problems (poor troops and lack of leaders) simply disappear, and the arrival of the Internationalists swings the tide firmly against the Nationalists. The Italians, from what I've seen, tend to arrive too late to redress the balance for the Nationalists.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:56 pm

In Jan 1937 pbem game Republicans have 1.7 times more soldier count than Nationalists. I think mixed brigada formations seems to add. But hard to evaluate for myself as I'm beginner in this scenario, and some attempts to capture Madrid resulted battle loss too.

Leibst

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59 am

If Nationalist player plays wisely and fast he can crush even an able Republican player.
The great problem for the Republicans is that they are splited. This is the key of the game and imho one of the keys of the historical war.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:39 am

In the previous pbem game it was more about learning experience that North regions couldn't be captured. This time Durango, Reinosa and Mieres factories under control and only Bilbao region Republicans force present in North. Nationalists WS production is 7; with good loyalty for better WS production. Race against time feels like going badly for Nationalists. Maybe rail capacity expense should be lowered a bit for Nationalists for take advantage of split Republican forces. Dilemma is to wait to increase RC or build Bandera, Africa troops.

Edit: I misread the text. It is actually 50 WS requirement not 100, LOL.. :bonk:

Ebbingford

Fri May 01, 2015 9:51 pm

One thing we have noticed in our pbem is that the strategic bombing RGD is lopsided. The Nationalist side can cause a loss of 4 or 5 WS by using it, the Republican's RGD causes a loss of 25.....
On the plus side we don't think that these RGDs are actually working. :cool:
We also have our doubts about the bombing troops RGDs. If they are working then it is not noticable. The amount of cohesion loss that they cause seems to be negligable.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Durk

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:19 am

Hmm, I wonder if the bombing is off. I am always confused by terminology, RGD is what exactly?

Leibst

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:46 am

Regional Decisions.
Bombing has been modified for a small next patch.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Durk

Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:31 am

Ah, seems to work very well now.

Return to “España 1936”