Merlin
General

Some thoughts on España

Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:17 am

I'd like to begin by congratulating Miguel for creating such a magnificent game.

I've played one campaign as both the Nationalists and Republicans.

Praise:
  • It feels like the SCW. Even Athena creates fronts and extended battles are costly after '36.
  • When a front collapses, it really collapses.
  • I really love the authenticity of both combatants. The Nationalists rely on the African contingents and the Republic is disorganized.
  • I love the idea that there is a great disparity between the needed resources for both sides.

Gripes:
  • The Nationalist player needs to be able to understand that he has to rely on imports. Getting the Italian divisions/brigades, German armor, and the African contingents is, I think, really crucial to his success. That's not clear.
  • The Republican player needs to understand the Mixed Brigade system. Knowing that they can only hold 4 elements and that they're absolutely not mixed is imperative. I learned the hard way that "like combines with like".
  • There really needs to be a symbolic difference between militia and regulars. I realize the Republican player can determine when the shift occurs based upon the unit art, but a simple "M" on the infantry symbol would really clear up what unit is what.
  • The useless RGDs need to be cleared. FX: The "Requisitions" RGD is available to the Republicans but cannot be played. Simply removing that decision would automatically steer a Republican player toward the "Proletariat Revolution" and "Convoy" RGDs for money.

I love the game; please never stop improving it.

Leibst

Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:33 am

Hi, Merlin
Many thanks for your kind words!

i will take into account your suggestions. :thumbsup:
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Merlin
General

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:54 am

Just to clarify for readers, the convoy RGD gives the Republican player conscripts, something he's not short of. The requisitions RGD is available from early '37 on. I won without it the first time, but it's quite useful for both sides.

EDIT: For Miguel: It's the text that needs to be edited, not the data. As long as the players know what they really need to do (national decisions) and the RGD descriptions are accurate, it'll be as newbie-friendly as the game will ever get.

Return to “España 1936”