le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:33 pm

PJJ wrote:I also like the smaller scale of things. Not every game has to be absolutely huge with millions of units and hours of micromanagement to be fun.

Indeed, the smaller scale than RUS, yet retaining the complexity, and corresponding quicker turn-resolution, makes this game worth the money for me.
(I'm a Southerner, that's high praise from me.)

jack54
Brigadier General

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:30 pm

This looks interesting...Sorry to say I know nothing of this conflict so I'm basically a fish out of water. Seeing more modern equipment is indeed refreshing and I think the air decisions are a nice idea. Still New to me but looks promising!
AGE games I own; RUS ,AJE, BOR, H:ToR, AACW, WIA, ROP,NC, CWII, Espana 1936, TYW
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

captain14
Sergeant

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:08 am

Great game and a worthy successor to Europa's definitive SCW game "No Pasaran".
Having said that lots of teething issues (a bit like RUS although RUS was saved by you know who's excellent work on modding, which is exactly what SCW needs).
The beta patches are a welcome relief as prior to them my opponent and I were going to shelve the game. So the game is heading in the right direction.

We need more historical political options as in Fatal years. The factions and arrival points need a lot of work.

So far in our PBEM games the Nationalists have a substantial edge and it is nigh impossible to stop them taking Madrid in the first year which means I am either a abysmal player or something is just not yet right given Madrid was virtually the last holdout.

But yes great game, great topic but screams for a bit more depth.

Congratulations for the work so far :-)

Durk

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:49 am

Hmm, I always thought it was a successor to GDW's "For Whom the Bell Tolls." A much more technical game than "No Pasaran."

I appreciate your comments very much, but my take is careful Republican play can, and will, result in a solid defensive game. Use the Madrid defense option. Play your major leaders and foreign volunteers on this front.

Agree with you take overall, but not in particular.

captain14
Sergeant

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:45 am

Durk wrote:Hmm, I always thought it was a successor to GDW's "For Whom the Bell Tolls." A much more technical game than "No Pasaran."

I appreciate your comments very much, but my take is careful Republican play can, and will, result in a solid defensive game. Use the Madrid defense option. Play your major leaders and foreign volunteers on this front.

Agree with you take overall, but not in particular.

No Pasaran was the precursor to For Whom The Bell Tolls (the finished polished product). You had to cut out the counters and mount them yourself ! LOL........but then without our input For Whom the Bell Tolls never would have got published would it ;-)

Durk

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:28 am

Funny, must be two games of the same title.
Well, For Whom the Bell Tolls was one of my very favorite games of all times.

captain14
Sergeant

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Durk wrote:Funny, must be two games of the same title.
Well, For Whom the Bell Tolls was one of my very favorite games of all times.

Rather two titles for the same game both published by GDW, I still have both copies (one in magazine format the other boxed). No Pasaran was produced first so that they could raise money and get the majority of the game design right (in some ways a published playtest). For Whom The Bell Tolls was prepaid by gamers (it was the only way to raise the money to publish a game of a period not mainstream popular), after so many of us signed up and prepaid and costs were covered the game went to print with adjustments learnt from No Pasaran............we were quite dedicated back in those days parting with our money on a promise, just because we wanted the game made :-). The same formula was repeated a number of times to us die hards to raise the money for new games in the series. Alas when it went to GRD the last game we parted with a couple of hundred bucks and it never got published. There was health issues with some of the design team and I guess well we all got older LOL.

Durk

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:23 am

Wow, I missed all of this. Thank you for sharing your history.

Conrad6787
Private

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:21 am

Game is excellent, very thoroughly researched and extremely enjoyable to play, I could not have resisted it. Not as great of a scope as RUS but it more then makes up for it with a unique setting. Also some cool but minor naval combat, the T-26 tanks for the Republicans and the Condor legion along with international brigades really add the flavor to the game. You also get a large Italian contingent as the Nationalists. It was a must buy for me! Only regretting I did not purchase it sooner.

captain14
Sergeant

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:39 am

Republican play can, and will, result in a solid defensive game. Use the Madrid defense option. Play your major leaders and foreign volunteers on this front.

We have now played 4 games pbem and each time it has proved impossible to stop the Nationalists taking Madrid before 1937.
So the Nats take Madrid before any internationals or the Madrid defense option occurs. And that "is" with the best republican leaders there.

The problem is the Republicans simply don't have the arty at the Madrid front to hold. I have seen a triple Republican line entrenched with river defence penetrated by Franco with heavy guns like a hot knife through butter.

Durk

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:32 am

I totally understand the Franco effect. He is really awesome in this game. However, Republicans can mount a defense far south of Madrid with artillery, tanks and International units which delay Franco until reinforcements reach the front. I have found the Nationalist very strong, but the Republicans with careful organization, builds and placement hold the front.

Return to “España 1936”