Naturamix
Major

Re: Naturamix(CSA) vs Murtagks(USA) Freedom!* (exclusions may apply)

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:38 pm

Turn 36-End West

Hello, Murtagks and I finally got round to finishing this game.

In the West the game ended with the Confederacy in control of strategic towns all the way up into Iowa.

116_Iowa.png
116_Iowa.png (4.15 MiB) Viewed 9617 times

Other than that nothing much consequential happened. Sumner just chased McCulloch and Shelby round in circles and the front barely moved in any significant way.

117_MO.png
117_MO.png (3.16 MiB) Viewed 9617 times

Naturamix
Major

Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:25 am

Turn 36-End Kentucky,

Kentucky was reasonably self contained up to the end of the war.

Grant and Freemont, from the south and north respectively, charged JE Johnston in Bowling Green.

109_Nogrant.png
109_Nogrant.png (2.04 MiB) Viewed 9609 times

These attacks were not well coordinated and one is shown above. JE Johnston held position within his entrenchments. These maneuvers did, however, result in JEJ being cut off from Tennessee by Sherman.

Therefore Beauregard, having rested up, attacked Sherman alongside his subordinate Corps commanded by Magruder.

110_Attack.png
110_Attack.png (3.51 MiB) Viewed 9609 times

113_KY.png
113_KY.png (2.2 MiB) Viewed 9609 times

111_Kentucky.png
111_Kentucky.png (4.23 MiB) Viewed 9609 times

This attack re-established the link to JEJ, who was then unfortunately pushed back as I attempted to reinforce him.
However with CSA forces concentrated south of Bowling Green all available divisions were then grouped under the Army of the Tennessee and JEJ lead the charge back into Bowling Green against the depleted Union forces.

115_JEJbattle.png
115_JEJbattle.png (2.68 MiB) Viewed 9609 times

This was the last significant event of the Campaign in the Western theater. Whilst Sherman, Grant and Freemont were busy in Kentucky smaller forces under Forrest successfully re-took all of western Tennessee such as Island 10 and Ft Donaldson.

In the final analysis all of Tennessee was under Confederate control with Union forces herded back into Kentucky.
A successful theater for the CSA.

Ripster8
Colonel

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:26 am

Anything on New Orleans and the Eastern Theater? I was sorry to see the game ended so suddenly. Hope all is well with you two warriors, and thanks for posting!

Naturamix
Major

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Yes I'll probably finish mine off this weekend. The rest of life just got a bit more hectic :)
I'll post those last since they were more decisive.

Naturamix
Major

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:05 pm

Turn 36-End Virginia 1

Having put Washington under siege and with Lee hammering the Union army I decided to assault DC.

104_DC.png
104_DC.png (2.85 MiB) Viewed 9504 times

Casualties were heavy on both sides (more for me of course).

Murtagks then launched McDowell back across the river to attempt to push me off, but Lee gave the Union another thrashing.

106_DCagain.png
106_DCagain.png (2.28 MiB) Viewed 9504 times

It was at this point that I thought I may have a chance to finally break the Union head on and put the flag of Dixie up on the Union capitol, but I made a miscalculation.

108_Ewell's charge.png
108_Ewell's charge.png (2.69 MiB) Viewed 9504 times

I completely destroyed one of Lee's Corps and DC was still in Federal hands.

At this point the Virginia front looked precarious indeed with only 1600 power facing what could be 5000 combined power if the Union could concentrate their forces.

108.1_DCdepleted.png
108.1_DCdepleted.png (4.62 MiB) Viewed 9504 times

Not good odds.
Fortunately the Confederacy was saved by events elsewhere.

Ripster8
Colonel

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 am

I am dying to find out what happened! Please let us know about the battle that saved the Confederacy as you have the time. Thank you!

Naturamix
Major

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Louisiana and Virginia to end.

In Louisiana Gilbert, having taken Baton Rouge, did what I feared and moved to cut off ABSJ from the rest of the Confederacy.

105_LA.png
105_LA.png (3.11 MiB) Viewed 9395 times

Kirby Smith's Corps was in position for this exact purpose and hit Gilbert, drawing in both Butler and ABSJ.

107_ButlervsABSJ.png
107_ButlervsABSJ.png (2.3 MiB) Viewed 9395 times

At this point it didn't necessarily look like the casualty rates would lead to a favourable CSA outcome.
The Union would have gained strength and entrenchment with time, and I was seriously considering abandoning the siege of NO, but then...

112_Butlergone.png
112_Butlergone.png (3.09 MiB) Viewed 9395 times

I knew that we could count on a Democrat when trying to destroy the Union!
Butler surrendered, returning New Orleans to southern hands!
This also neatly answered a question Murtagks and I had about the game mechanics; it turns out that sieges can result in surrender even when the city is fully supplied.

With 4 divisions of Union troops taken out of action I could safely redeploy a great many divisions up to Virginia.

114_Washington.png
114_Washington.png (3.4 MiB) Viewed 9395 times

Washington simply surrendered after a full 2000 power Corps was formed to besiege it and victory was won for the CSA.

119_Victory.png
119_Victory.png (3.81 MiB) Viewed 9395 times

GG Murtagks
Last edited by Naturamix on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:52 pm

About the first thing I learned in the game was "Cities are traps" ^^
Thx for sharing.

Ripster8
Colonel

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Another amazing game! It was, indeed, a very close run thing - could've gone either way. When it went bad for the Federals it REALLY went bad all over! Great job to both gallant warriors and thank you for posting this AAR!

Naturamix
Major

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:19 pm

Citizen X wrote:About the first thing I learned in the game was "Cities are traps" ^^
Thx for sharing.

Thank you, it's a fair lesson, though in this case it is worth saying that when Murtagks chose to occupy the city the alternative was being out of supply outside it so both options were bad.
In the long run though you are correct, losing all 4 divisions inside was worse than running away.

Naturamix
Major

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Ripster8 wrote:Another amazing game! It was, indeed, a very close run thing - could've gone either way. When it went bad for the Federals it REALLY went bad all over! Great job to both gallant warriors and thank you for posting this AAR!

Thank you,
It was certainly the closest game so far. The Union is mechanically more complex than the CSA and Murtagks nonetheless pulled of an amphibious invasion that was successful for a while.
The Union did go into a death spiral towards the end with the siege of Washington and surrender of New Orleans.
I quite like the games that have a dramatic end.

Return to “CW2 AARs”