vicberg
AGEod Grognard

OMG - Just saying - Vicberg USA) vs. John (CSA) - No John Please

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:10 am

This is my third game against John. I won one. He won one. All using base game, so yes, CSA can win in base game.

To bring you up to speed, my games against Tyler ended in a complete USA Roll by 1862. In my first game against John, he was over-confident and cavalier (in his own words) and McDowell became a 3-4-5 and was rolling in the Virginia in 1862. So with 4 straight and easy wins by 1863, it was my turn to get over-confident and cavalier. I built terribly and was a bit lazy in numerous areas. Alexandria was lost. Jackson repulsed McClellan out of the Shenandoah. I wasn't able to dislodge Van Dorn from Jefferson City. Raiders from Jefferson City proceeded to raze numerous level 1 cities in range. To add insult, Grant invaded Paducah and was promptly cutoff by the CSA fleet and retreated out of Paducah into Graves, KY (aptly named). My NM went down to 66 and that was pretty much end of game.

We've started a rubber match. This time I'm tracking builds and freebies to maximize builds. I've never done this before, but my build was so bad last game, I really see no choice. Plus, it's a real bear to try to assemble and varied builds and freebies and form them into cohesive divisions, especially for the USA in the beginning of the game. One of the things I truly hate doing, so this is making it a bit easier to manage.

Overall Strategy

We'll see of the CSA complies. My goal in the East is to hold the line from Harpers Ferry down to Alexandria. For me this is a critical objective. If the CSA is able to get that line (3 regions), the Potomac enables mutually supportive corp to easily defend that line and the CSA can start pulling divisions off the line for use elsewhere. If the USA can hold that line, then the CSA has a much larger swath of land to defend. From Falmouth, Manassas dwon to Winchester must be held. 5 regions vs. 3. A very big difference and the USA can play small ball and start moving corps into the open regions in order to force either CSA response or a pull back. This is the difference between holding the strategic initiative vs. losing the strategic initiative and pure defense.

In the West I've got to get Grant promoted. Didn't happen this last game at all. So Grant, with 3 division will secure Jefferson City. Kentucy will be a secondary objective. I'll commit Grant all the way down to Springfield if needed, both to secure that front and to promote Grant. Kentucky will wait if needed. I'm forming a cav division to deal with raiders. Once Grant is promoted to Army, that opens up the West. All commanders become massive studs and I can push pretty easily at will.

To obtain both objectives, I'll need 5 division under McDowell. in Alexandria 4 Divisions under McClellan in N. Virginia in Harpers Ferry. 3 divisions under Grant. All future builds will be 2 division on the East for 1 division in the West. If I'm able to hold the Alexandria -> Harpers Ferry Line, then all Eastern divisions will start doing a maneuver game in the East. I'll probe the lines and force reactions. This should loosen up CSA defenses and enable opportunities. If I lose the line and get pushed north of the Potomac, then I'll defend the northern side of the Potomac and start forming Corp for invasion along the CSA coast.

It's Late May 1861, if my build sheet is accurate, I have 7 division in the East from Freebies and builds. 2 division in the West. Next turn will be another division in the West, followed by 2 more in the East. With extra Money and War Supplies (which I have right now due to bonds), I've been building extra Brigs. I find Blockade Flotillas simply too expensive in the beginning of the game, especially before I can build iron works. Once riverclads and Ironclads get into the game, I'm going to build 7-8 Riverclads and 6-7 Ironclads at first opportunity. I build usually 2-3 Iron Works and that's about it. My thoughts behind Brigs is that they are cheap. If I can hold the Alexandria Line, that can mean a quick victory in the East. Brigs provide the brown water blockade and if I can't hold Alexandria, then I switch to holding the Potomac, invading along the coast, which increases blockade better than blockaders can and I can continue the brown water blockades to tighten the economic noose.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:46 am

Late May, 1861

Our first battle and small union victory. Not going to screen shot the battle because it was tiny. He tried to push out of Harpers into Fredericktown. I moved into there just to start the trenches. Going to push a unit into Montgomery, MD for the same reason and just in case. You'll notice that in an attempt to maximize builds, I've got 1 HQ unit and 1 pontoon building for McDowell and 1 Signal/Recon/Eng/Pontoont for McClellan.

[ATTACH]39308[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-11 16_39_46-Screenshot (4).jpg

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:08 pm

Early June, 1861

More building. A small battle in Clarks, WV with a very minor Union defeat. The battle of the boobs. Soon to be dismissed Patterson vs. the useless Floyd. Patterson at least didn't retreat. I'm expecting Floyd to bug out. The other WV levies, a couple of cav, milita and an arty will join Patterson.

This game, I'm going to get aggressive about Jefferson City. It's a build/staging area for CSA to push raiders deep into USA territories. With Jefferson City under USA control, he's pushed back to Springfield, which becomes the second objective to secure the MO flank. It's harder for him to range from Springfield than it is to push out of Jefferson City. Rolla is too close to St. Louis to be an effective base for the CSA. So, Lyons grouped up as much as he could, a rag tag group of militia, cav and a few arty and using Farraguat, invaded Jefferson city. I like this move before the boob Fremont comes into the area and starts taking undeserved credit. No combat this turn, but Lyons holds the region and Shelby is trapped in the city.

Tracking builds and freebies is truly a beotch. Not only is it hard enough to track all the stuff coming on and where, but this stuff gets other stuff added as they flesh out for combat, so it's a moving target. Then you thrown in moves to other regions and a true true pain to manage. As best as I can tell, I have around 8 1/2 divisions forming in East and 3 in the West. I need to build out a few more arty in the East to fully flesh out these divisions. I didn't build another division this turn. I fleshed out existing ones and built two iron works.

Next turn will be another division for the East bringing the number to 9 which is what I need to effectively defend the Alexandria and Fredericktown (or Harpers Ferry). I need 3-4 more divisions in West for 1862. The remaining builds will go for Corp in the East for invasions or for probing the CSA lines if I can hold Alexandria. If I build correctly, I should have around 16 corp in the East by mid 1862, what I do with them is dependent upon what CSA does. If they attack and win, I'll invade. If they don't attack or don't win, I'll push into Virginia.

I'm building cavalry aggressively this game. I want at least 1 full division for the West to deal with raiders. They need to hit hard and destroy raiders. In the East, I'll have at least an understrength cav division. I like to use this to smack raiders pushing into West Virginia and I like to sneak behind CSA lines and chew up rail into Manassas.

On the infrastructure front, I've played 6 habeus corpus on the major cities to increase loyalty and production output. I've played telegraphs on New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore, again for increased production. Defensive works were placed in Alexandria.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:31 am

Late September, 1861

Jefferson City has been taken. The CSA is on the retreat with Lyons (with a soon to be formed division) and Sumner with Cav and Horse Arty on their tails. The Union won a small victory against the CSA in Springfield. With Springfield, Rolla and Jefferson City under Union control, this will make raiding in MO much more difficult. Another division under Woods sits in St. Louis to both defend and as a reserve force. I've built a couple militia in all the MO cities and some of the closer KS cities to provide a decent speed bump against raiders. Lyons and Sumner will push south. This may force John to divert forces to defend.

IN the East, it's been very very quiet. I've been building like crazy. Another 5 divisions forming up. 3 more in the West. McClellan is in route to the East. I like him there to train up the troops. No attacking either side. Pretty soon, I'll have numbers to start maneuvering in both North Virginia and Virginia.

The last 2 turns have been primarily naval builds. 6 Riverclads and 3 monitors.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Late October, 1861.

The East has come alive. Last turn, John pushed Joseph Johnson into Leesburg with a couple of divisions. I wasn't sure what he was going to do with that force. I was worried about both Jackson with a single division in Harpers Ferry and Johnson's force combining in Fredericktown against Milroy. I took a chance on that because I had Hamilton and a single division in Morgan, WV, flanking Jackson's force and figured he wouldn't take a chance of begin cutoff.

[ATTACH]39343[/ATTACH]

Johnson pushed across the Potomac and Milroy was able to defend through trenches and Potomac. Unfortunately, Johnson didn't retreat. I hate forming up divisions at the front lines because for the turn they arrive, the reinforcements are vulnerable. This was the case as the Excelsior Brigade was joining Shields division.

[ATTACH]39344[/ATTACH]

John attempted to secure his flank and moved Jackson into Morgan to take out Hamilton's force. I didn't expect that thinking that he was going to hold his supply depot in Harpers or combine with Johnson, but I was a bit lucky and moved Hamilton into Winchester to attempt to cut supply lines. Moving Hamilton to Winchester is a bit risky from a supply standpoint, but one of my goals is to get my opponent reacting to me rather than the other way around. Winchester stops up supply movement.

In the West, I landed Grant and 2 divisions in Fort Donnelson. This is a very risky move as the wildly overpowed CSA fleet can come up and isolate Grant. There's little defending it and I need to get Grant promoted, but this should cause some issues for John as I believe he has all available forces commited either to MO or to the East.

Speaking of MO, Van Dorn showed up against Lyon's division and Sumners Cav division and promptly beat them back to Jefferson City. The USA still holds Jefferson City, but both Lyon and Sumners forces got beat up and will have to retreat. This is why I kept Wood's division in reserve. It's sitting in St. Louis and will rail into Jefferson City and attempt to get it back while Lyon and Sumner refit in St. Louis. Lyon is promotable now to a 2 star.
Attachments
2016-07-16 08_15_56-Greenshot.png
2016-07-16 08_02_59-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:07 am

The best laid plans. With Johnson in PA, Beauregard looked like a juicy target. So the plan was to take Heintzelman's division and take Culpeper. Hamilton would vacate Winchester and cut the other rail line into Manassas. But unfortunately, Hamilton was too slow and Jackson caught up to him in Winchester, smashing his division.

[ATTACH]39348[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-16 19_13_04-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:37 am

Late February, 1862

A number of engagements in the East has left the Union in control of it's pre-war strategic objectives of holding the Harpers Ferry -> Alexandria line, but my NM is at 80. This year the Union NM can go down by 20 more possibly due to failed offensives, so I have no choice hear but to get aggressive.

In the first of two large battles, McDowell tried to engage Johnson in Leesville, moving out of Alexandria. Butler with 2 division and Milroy with 2 division moved into the vacated Alexandria. Johnson had the same idea and moved into Alexandria from Leesville and moved faster than McDowell. In the resulting engagement, the Union lost the battle and 2 divisions in the process though heavily outnumbering the Rebels. During that turn, I railed McClellans Army of 4 divisions into Alexandria as well to insure it's defense. So with Butler, McDowell, McClellan and outnumbering Johnson 4-1 in Alexandria, somehow the Union not only lost the battle, but took 500 hits to 100 hits. Johnson is now as 6 or 7 defender. So two battles, CSA heavily outnumbers and 2 major CSA victories.

Both armies have rested and recooperated.

[ATTACH]39373[/ATTACH]

In the West, Grant has taken Henry and Donnelson. While Kentucky remains neutral, I'm pushing all units into the gap. Still a risk as the CSA navy can possibly dislodge. I have 7 riverclads to face against the Rebels.

[ATTACH]39375[/ATTACH]

And in MO, he beat back Lyons to Jefferson and then I beat him back down to Springfield. We are awaiting good weather to continue hostilities.

[ATTACH]39376[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-19 18_21_27-Greenshot.png
2016-07-19 18_20_54-Greenshot.png
2016-07-19 18_19_22-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:05 am

Early March, 1862

This is a tough fight. One of the things I'm start to not like about CW2 is the "tipping effect". A couple big battles tips the overall war wildly in one sides direction. Experience gained by leaders. Reduction of NM. which has an impact on the everything from combat to production. The tipping effect towards the CSA started a few turns ago. Johnson is now a 4-4-6. Strange because neither John nor I can remember Johnson attacking. He defended twice, so I can understand the 6 defense, but not the 4 attack. The tipping effect of this game is too much too fast. Even after Gettysburg, the CSA lasted another 2 years. For a battle like that, in this game they might last 2 months from the wild swings it would cause. So it really isn't about getting Washington for the CSA. It's about winning the first few battles which then has a huge affect on the rest of the game. If they don't win, CSA can lose quite quickly. The next few years of the war come down to the first few battles. Too many swings for a 5 year game like this. Typical of AGEOD games though.

However, there are signs of life still within the Union. Two battles. Union win both.

Jackson attempts to retake Harpers.

[ATTACH]39378[/ATTACH]

And Super-Johnson attempts to take Alexandria. I'm in level 4 trenches, so John must be feeling confident. He attacked with even numbers. Why shouldn't he. I attacked him with 4-1 odds and took 500 hits to his 100 hits for the effort.

[ATTACH]39377[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-19 21_55_08-Greenshot.png
2016-07-19 21_55_27-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Late March, 1862

The Union is starting to show up. It's not much yet, but something is better than nothing. My NM was at 80 2 turns ago and desperate times calls for desperate measures, so I enacted a partial mobilization. This dropped me to 76. McDowell's victory in the east last turn brought my NM back to 77. This turn I'm at 80. This could easily drop down due to another large loss or the -10 for failed offensive, so I need to continue to get my NM up more and attempt to push into Virginia.

In the East, another Union victory by McDowell. Johnson had 2 victories and become Super-Johnson. McDowell hasn't done anything yet in terms of experience. Butler's 2 divisions were smashed.

[ATTACH]39379[/ATTACH]

Grant pushed out of Donnelson towards Nashville and engaged Beauregard. This is Grant's 4th victory of the war. In my first game with John, Grant invaded Jefferson City and was immediately promoted. In this game, nothing. The way experience works is really a mystery to me.

[ATTACH]39380[/ATTACH]

A few turns ago, I pushed a single division out of Donnelson and took Ft. Henry. Last turn, 2 more divisions joined him in Ft. Henry along with Pope and I moved Fremont within strategic command range and created corps for Grant and Pope. This turn, Pope moved to Humbolt and won a victory there.

[ATTACH]39381[/ATTACH]

At this point, I have 6 divisions in KY and TN with 2 More forming up in Cincinnati. This is what I wanted pre-war. In the East, I have 11 divisions with 3 more forming. This is far less than I wanted but due to the 4 divisions lost in battles. I moved McClellan off the front lines early March. He'll be doing training duty for the remainder of the war. McDowell has 4 divisions under his command. Milroy's Corp in Alexandria and 4 divisions report to McDowell. Wallace Corp with 3 divisions in Harper's Ferry reports to McDowell. So I have a unified chain of command in the East. Lyon has 2 divisions and 1 Cav Division in MO.
Attachments
2016-07-20 06_12_43-Greenshot.png
2016-07-20 06_12_19-Greenshot.png
2016-07-20 06_13_07-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:58 pm

Observations on play style and this game in general.

I believe that Tyler's play style didn't match up with mine. He was too defensive oriented and that's a sure way to enable the Union to build up without hindrance and then strike at locations of their own choosing. I had him consistently on the defensive and reacting to me and there's simply too much terrain for the Rebels to defend.

Against John, I am forcing him to react to me in KY and TN, but I'm reacting to him in the East and that's preventing me from doing anything but defend. There's no way I could pull divisions off the line and invade. Knowing this, in our next game assuming there is one, I might shift 4 of the 6 divisions built for KY/TN to the East, possibly shift Grant as well and then I could invade or play the maneuver game I in Virginia that I simply haven't had enough troops for.

I'm dropping my mod after my experiences against John and I realize that nothing is going to seriously change in this game, but the tone of the war really comes down to the first few battles. It's too extreme. If the Union wins, the Union will dominate by no later than 1863. If the Rebels win, the Rebels will dominate with the caveat that the Union has clear advantages and can possibly climb back, like I'm trying to do now. The affect of NM and Experience is too pronounced. However, without these extreme changes, chances are the Rebels have no chance unless other aspects of the game are changes as well, which is why I realize that nothing will change in this game so accept it as it is.

However, in this game with John, one more serious set back and it will be almost game over for the Union. Instead of a 5 year war, it's really a 2 year war and the results of the first 2 years will determine the victor against an opponent with a play style like John's. In my opinion, John's style of play is really the only way that the Rebels can be played.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Early April, 1862

Both sides are firmly entrenched in Alexandria. The Union have achieved level 5 entrenchment. I never had much confidence in AGEOD entrenchments. In TEAW, they didn't stop anyone, though they are supposed to stop up troops cold as they did IRL in WW1. So, I have a slight advantage here.

Here's what I mean by tipping affect. Pope is a 2 on attack. Edward Johnson (too many CSA leaders with the name Johnson) is a 2 on defense. 2-1 odds. I should have at least done more damage that he did, taking into account all random rolls, etc., but no. 2-1 odds, same opposing leadership values and I take more losses than he does. This is due to NM. NM really swings the game wildly across the entire map.

[ATTACH]39383[/ATTACH]

Otherwise, a quiet turn. Grant and Beauregard are facing each other just outside of Donnelson. Pope managed to hold off the Rebels. I've got 3 divisions now in KY/TN in reserve ready to continue to exploit the bridgehead at Donnelson. My thoughts will be to run around Beauregard in a left hook and force him to retreat to Nashville.
Attachments
2016-07-20 06_12_43-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:14 am

Early May, 1862.

After last turn victories, my NM went up to 85. After this turn, up to 93. This game swings quickly.

John is sensing the swing in momentum. He's taking a chances. An attack against my level 5 entrenched forces in Alexandria.

[ATTACH]39392[/ATTACH]

Pope is getting promoted to a 3 star. Sumner attacks Van Dorn and wins. John and I think a lot a like. Look how similar these corps are formed.

[ATTACH]39393[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-20 20_41_21-Greenshot.png
2016-07-20 20_41_43-Greenshot.png

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:42 pm

Many RL effects influence battles, not just NM. Pope probably suffered double Johnson's losses because Johnson was entrenched in woods and Pope did not have a superiority of artillery. When McDowell is entrenched in clear terrain with 3-1 superiority in artillery, NM did not prevent his victory over Johnston. A 4-1 superiority in artillery is more than likely why Sumner was not annihilated crossing a river to attack van Dorn. NM is a factor, but not the only factor. Good luck!
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Ear;ly June, 1862

I forgot to get screen shots for late May. I believe there's a fine line on when to attack and when to defend. John was firmly entrenched in Alexandria. If he had defended, I would have been forced to keep 8 divisions there and use additional to flank him and force him out. Instead, John attacked with Super-Johnson again and it was one too many attacks and lost heavily. In Late April, I landed Dix with 2 divisions in Clarksville. In Early May, I moved them towards Nashville in hopes of forcing Beauregard to react. To help Dix with his movement, I had Grant do a probing attack against Beauregard to keep him pinned. The attack cause 8k in casualties to my 1k. I looked a bit closer and realized tha Beauregard was out of supply. So I ordered a full attack for this turn.

John is in real trouble. How quickly this game changes. Fine line between when to shift from offense to defense.

[ATTACH]39394[/ATTACH]

After multiple attempts by Super Johnson to dislodge the Union from Alexandria, he attacked one too many times and wore his army out. In Johnson's last attack in Late May, Johnson retreated himself out of Alexandria to Manassas. Seeing opportunity, I went on the offensive. Super Johnson started the battle as the leader, but didn't finish it.

[ATTACH]39395[/ATTACH]

Jackson attacked Wallace's corp in Harper's Ferry one too many times. Wallace counter-attacked and drove Jackson back to Winchester. Kearny took over for Wallace and beat Jackson out of Winchester in Late May. In early June, another victory.

[ATTACH]39396[/ATTACH]

In KY/TN, the Rebels have lost Nashville.

[ATTACH]39397[/ATTACH]

Grant attacked and received Rosencrans support, who is the ranking army commander in the region (go figure). Grant attacked again to support Dix crossing into Nashville. This is Grant's 6 or 7th victory of the war and no promotion yet. His XP is still stuck at 5/10.

[ATTACH]39398[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-21 06_24_02-Greenshot.png
2016-07-21 06_19_47-Greenshot.png
2016-07-21 06_22_12-Greenshot.png
2016-07-21 06_22_24-Greenshot.png
2016-07-21 06_20_41-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:04 am

Late July, 1862

My NM is back down to 90. Lost 10 due to another failed offensive and will lose 10 more again if I don't push into Virginia. John reformed in good order and quick at Culpepper and Spotsylvania. A couple turns of rest as the armies refit. This is the best defensive area for the CSA. 2 spots, mutually supportive, can protect the entire front. Wallace formed up a new corp and I had a choice. To sweep with Kearny through WV and around, forcing Lee to retreat, or to head on attack. I chose the head on attack. I'm already unhappy with this decision. If I can play a maneuver war, it's always better to do that rather than head on assaults.

[ATTACH]39413[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-22 19_58_15-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:16 am

Late July ,1862

John is very aggressive. I was not expecting this. Talk about maneuver war? Expecting him to defend Culpepper and Spotsylvania, he went on the offensive with Lee.

[ATTACH]39414[/ATTACH]

And though running into McDowells crack army, Wallace took the brunt of the assault.

[ATTACH]39415[/ATTACH]

A few minor skirmishes left the map like this. Grant took Nashville and OMG he may be promoted. That will change the West and soon to be the East.

[ATTACH]39416[/ATTACH]

Van Dorn retreated from Jerfferson City. Sumner attacked across the river, this time not so good.

[ATTACH]39417[/ATTACH]

Pope continues to hold Humbolt with a single division while another division moves to takes the forts.

[ATTACH]39418[/ATTACH]

And in the irrelevant battle, Silbey and Carson continue to battle back and forth in New Mexico. Battles go from Albuquerque to Texas with neither side getting the upper hand.
Attachments
2016-07-22 22_18_56-Greenshot.png
2016-07-22 22_17_47-Greenshot.png
2016-07-22 22_08_10-Greenshot.png
2016-07-22 22_11_46-Greenshot.png
2016-07-22 22_07_34-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:05 am

Early August, 1862

Wow, John is aggressive. As I talk about maneuver war, he takes Lee and Longstreet and moves into Manassas and then takes Longstreet and moves into Alexandria. Wow. I figured he might make a try at Alexandria so I moved McDowell and his 4 divisions back to Alexandria and moved Milroy from Culpepper back to Manssas. Wallace's corp was trashed so I had him on defense in Alexandria. These are the results.

[ATTACH]39419[/ATTACH]

And the resulting major battle

[ATTACH]39421[/ATTACH]

Kearny was reinforced by another division bringing his count to 4 and attacked Jackson in New Market and won.

[ATTACH]39420[/ATTACH]

And won

[ATTACH]39422[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-22 22_58_26-Greenshot.png
2016-07-22 22_58_12-Greenshot.png
2016-07-22 22_57_46-Greenshot.png
2016-07-22 22_57_29-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:10 am

My NM is at 96. I'm positioned to push into Virginia. I think John's strategy won't work at this stage of the game. Union elite divisions are everywhere in the east. I just got 3 more elite brigades and another elite divisional commander which will reinforce Kearny's division and I'll be able to form another divisions. I just took bonds and taxes and print money which will give me a +1% percent along with partial mobilization. I'll be able to raise around another 5-6 divisions after I've taken replacements, which are significant at this point due to all the losses from battles. Grant is now Army commander in the west and I'll get all other army commanders way out of the way to switch corp leadership to Grant. I'll push down to Memphis and Chatanooga, consider an invasion of VIckburg and then shift Grant to the East.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:38 am

My strategy as Union is to build up a 6 or so riverclads (mostly for defense) and 4-6 ironclads (again, mostly for defense) and then all infantry. This game I built 1 cav division in East and 1 cav division in the west. I use the standard approach of 11-12 inf, 1-2 cav and 4 artillery for all divisions (including cav). I'll build in a couple of cav elements into a division for ease of building. I mostly build 2 of the big NY divisions (which has 3 inf, 1 cav, 1 arty), plus 1 NY brigade (2 inf, 1 arty) plus 1 PA sharpshooter (2 inf, 1 sharpshooter), plus 1 arty to make up my east divisions. Once I run out of NY/PA troops, it becomes more difficult, but I put McClellan in NY to train up the troops while they are mustering. I do the same approach in Cincinnati. That requires a bit more, 2 big OH brigades (2 inf, 1 cav, 1 arty), 1 IL sharpshooter (1 inf, 1 sharpshooter), 2 OH brigades (2 inf, 1 arty each), 1 more mil) with Halleck to train up. This works quite well until I run out of troops. KY can build a few easy divisions then it gets challenging. I always use taxes and bonds and first opportunity. I use partial mobilization when my NM is high enough or times are desperate. I build 2 iron works, then at his time of the game, when cash/war supplies are high, I'll build out a couple more arsenals to insure solid supply. This game I build brigs. I wish I had not. Invading really isn't needed nor is blockade. Though I may invade NO soon, as next turn I'll have massive money/conscripts/war supplies, I may need those troops to keep stretching CSA forces in Virginia and put the death blow with Richmond. Invading and blockading s really a long term play if you can't take Richmond. Richmond is really the goal. The only goal as it was IRL.

So my NM will drop to 92 from partial mobilization, but I'll push far enough to stop another -10 NM from happening.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:33 am

Late August, 1862

I'm paying a 1.5 premium for volunteers and full emancipation. Full emancipation is a victory or bust approach, but I find that it helps overwhelm the CSA. My NM is up to 104.

In the East, John was wildly unpredictable again. He swung Lee from Stafford all the way around to New Market

[ATTACH]39426[/ATTACH]

An Kearny won the battle.

[ATTACH]39427[/ATTACH]

Pope continues to earn his keep in Humboldt.

[ATTACH]39428[/ATTACH]

And Super Johnson is alive and well and has taken over for Dorn.

[ATTACH]39429[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-24 17_27_53-Greenshot.png
2016-07-24 17_28_23-Greenshot.png
2016-07-24 17_28_48-Greenshot.png
2016-07-24 17_29_47-Greenshot.png

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Jackson had zero artillery pieces, Lee only 37, Johnson 22 and Johnston 25. I would wager that John's apparent decision to not use massed big guns will be a massively big mistake.

Jerzul
Captain

Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Gray Fox wrote:Jackson had zero artillery pieces, Lee only 37, Johnson 22 and Johnston 25. I would wager that John's apparent decision to not use massed big guns will be a massively big mistake.

I was just thinking that myself. Where are his guns?
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:29 pm

He's matching me on CBT. I think that's his focus. I haven't played CSA enough to see the difference with more guns. My guess is that more guns would be better.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:34 pm

Early September, 1862

My NM is now 107. Union is going on the offensive. If the Rebel armies keep getting whittled down in their attacks, there will be nothing left by end of this year. McDowell is a 2-3-4.

Grant pushed into Tennesse meeting Beauregard. Beauregard was actually moving north towards Nashville. A meeting engagement ensued.

[ATTACH]39432[/ATTACH]

Lee attempted another attack against Kearny. Kearny held and both armies are going to need some time to refit.

[ATTACH]39433[/ATTACH]

McDowell pushed into Spotsylvania. He lost the battle as Wallace and Milroy were too focused on styling their hair. The hair on some of these leaders is to be believed.

[ATTACH]39434[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-25 16_28_19-Greenshot.png
2016-07-25 16_23_11-Greenshot.png
2016-07-25 16_23_25-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:36 am

Objectives

I try to not pay attention to them. I try to not pay attention to NM as it affects my game play. I don't go for a 1865 game. I want to end it in 1863. So he has a large Victory Point advantage. But his NM is already below mine.

Now, if he makes it into 1865, then I'll start adjusting my game play.
[ATTACH]39439[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-25 18_33_14-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:24 am

Late September, 1862

More skirmishing in the far far West. Silby ran up to Albuquerque. Carson's Cav Div on his heals. He can't keep supplied doing this, but I want to keep him honest. Carelton has a full division in Mesilla and Canby is about into New Mexico.

Some small battles to clean up KY and TN.

The West

[ATTACH]39440[/ATTACH]

The East. Wallace's corp was supposed to go to where the red circle is. He went into McDowell's Army isntead. Sigh.

[ATTACH]39441[/ATTACH]

Grant had another battle with Beauregard and got the best of it.

[ATTACH]39442[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-25 20_17_57-Greenshot.png
2016-07-25 20_16_51-Greenshot.png
2016-07-25 20_15_18-Greenshot.png

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:13 pm

More guns would be much better. Lee as a 3-star with really good stats can command over 20 batteries of artillery in a woods with clear weather as in post #20.

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Frontage

Max range is 4 in that terrain set. Each battery fires twice the first round and once again for each successive round for a total of 5 shots fired (the guns are silent during the assault round 0). Thus, 100 for an artillery force with an extra 20 batteries. If the guns have a 20% chance to hit, which most do, that would be 20 shots landed for 40 hearts damage and several hundred cohesion damage over what he actually scored. Not allocating enough artillery to great commanders is like making them into 3-1-1's.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:27 pm

Late October, 1862

I'm definitely seeing an increase in Rebel Arty. NM jumped to 111.

McDowell held in Fredericksburg.

[ATTACH]39449[/ATTACH]

Pope pushed south from Humboldt and held.

[ATTACH]39450[/ATTACH]

Grant retreated from Winchester

[ATTACH]39451[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-27 15_34_51-Greenshot.png
2016-07-27 15_34_30-Greenshot.png
2016-07-27 15_34_07-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:51 pm

Early November, 1862

There is such a thing as attacking too much. My NM is now up to 121 after this combat. Sadly, Wallace was killed in the battle. I received Howard last turn and moved into Wallace's Corp in order for him to get a divisional command, but because he's a 2 star, he'll take over the Corp for a short period of time. Reynolds is promotable. He'll take over the corp next turn. Howard is nice but quick to anger. I like full corps under full command and I'm getting plenty of good commanders now.

[ATTACH]39452[/ATTACH]

The situation in Virginia will be made earlier by the above combat. John now has only Lee to defend against 4 corp. Another Corp under Berry is forming up in Culpepper. Tempting to pull that one out to invade NO, but with the situation as is in Virginia, I can do a right hook movement towards Richmond and end this in 1863. Jackson didn't end the battle, so he's either wounded or killed.

[ATTACH]39453[/ATTACH]

John took a small nuisance force under Forrest and temporarily took Nashville and Gallatin. I had a division forming just south of Nashville and Rosencrans with 2 divisions close by. Both converged on Forrest and have beaten him down to Carthaga.

[ATTACH]39454[/ATTACH]

And the situation in the West. I have numbers here. I find this type of maneuvering challenging. It's easy to make mistakes and for broad flanking moves. John is trying one now with Beauregard.

[ATTACH]39455[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-27 16_39_55-Greenshot.jpg
2016-07-27 16_28_31-Greenshot.png
2016-07-27 16_38_56-Greenshot.png
2016-07-27 16_29_09-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Late November, 1862

More battles. More Union victories. Crittenden's Corp met with Beauregard in Coffee, TN. Grant joined into the battle.

[ATTACH]39462[/ATTACH]

Pope continues his winning streak.

[ATTACH]39464[/ATTACH]

I find the best way to get Sherman promoted is to put him on his own. He moved into Corinth.

[ATTACH]39463[/ATTACH]

And in New Mexico, Rebel and Union forces have been battling from El Paso up to Sante Fe. Carson has finally gotten the upper hand. The Union has taken El Paso, so Silby's supply has got to be an issue.

[ATTACH]39465[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-07-29 09_16_45-Greenshot.png
2016-07-29 09_17_01-Greenshot.png
2016-07-29 09_16_21-Greenshot.png
2016-07-29 09_16_34-Greenshot.png

Return to “CW2 AARs”