havi
Colonel

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:59 am

Way to go mickey hooray :thumbsup:

Mickey3D

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks a lot but I'm having a tough time. I know GF is worried with his supply at the moment but to hit him hard I must take risks and he is not the kind of player to let pass an opportunity !

Mickey3D

Turn 44 - Situation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:47 pm

Score :

[ATTACH]29895[/ATTACH]

I have 600 more VPs but despite my VP gain/turn advantage (54 to 41) I am not progressing as GF is buying RGD providing VPs and I lost several VPs by playing RGD like partisans or copperheads.

Missouri :

[ATTACH]29896[/ATTACH]

Watie and McCulloch have merged their force. I'll entrench myself behind the Gasconade river should Sedgewick decides to move away from Saint-Louis.

Whyte :

[ATTACH]29897[/ATTACH]

Supply status of Stuart has been improved but I'm building a depot anyway. GF is building a depot in Tazewell for a future offensive but I think this turn should be quiet. I'm just a little bit annoyed by the cavalry force in Washington (VA) and the partisans in Salem (East of Whytesville, not on the screenshot).

Virginia and Northern Carolina :

See next post.

Supply :

4469 points in Richmond and smaller stocks in other cities of Virginia : at the moment it is not a problem for me.

Note also that I have industrialized two times since the beginning of the game, mainly in Georgia : arsenals and iron works (bring a lot of supply).
Attachments
Whyte.jpg
SaintLouis.jpg
Score.jpg

havi
Colonel

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:57 pm

I know u have taking risks. My last game against nabulio I didn't take risks and he kicked my teeths in. But it isn't looking bad for u in virginia grants have to retreat to the coust and organized his troops again for big push of next summer.

Mickey3D

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:06 pm

havi wrote:But it isn't looking bad for u in virginia

I'm not as confident as you : GF managed to move in the central position so I had to switch my forces between Virginia and Northern Carolina. I'm expecting to have to leave Virginia sooner or later except if I manage to cut his supply in a way or another.

Mickey3D

Turn 44 - Virginia and North Carolina

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Here is a screenshot of the positions in Southern Virginia and Northern Carolina. If you can't read it correctly, do not hesitate to download the image (right click on it) to view it at full resolution.

[ATTACH]29898[/ATTACH]

Based on the content of the information bubbles I have added to the image some comments regarding the forces.

The numbers circled in red refer to the following comments :

1) GF is building a depot
2) GF is trying hard to improve loyalty in Edenton (Habeas Corpus, Clearing, Develop region, ...). I have played the riot RGD to try to counter him.
3) Plymouth is Under blockade. As Edenton has the same exit region it should also be under blockade.
4) Weak transport fleet with 2 divisions : my fleet is on a suicide mission but may be it will be able to deal a few blows...
[ATTACH]29899[/ATTACH]
5a,b,c) Fleets to control the rivers. Moreover, 5a and 5c are transports so adjacent forces can use the supply they are transporting.

The weather is harsh so each move without using the rail is very slow (6 to 10 days for a region + the cohesion cost).

I have one concern with Longstreet : Howard has no MC in the region so he will switch to attack mode. If Grant and/or McDowell are committed due to MSG, he could lost as a result of his low cohesion. I will sent a fresh division but it might arrive too late.

On an offensive point of view, I can either strike Garrysburg or Henderson region where GF has a stockade and is building a depot (see comment 1 above) :

Garrysburg :
- Rosecrans has lost its 4th level entrenchment but what about Kearny ?
- McDowell can't MSG has it is an army stack.
- What is the strength of Grant ? He will without doubt MSG should a battle occur there.

Henderson :
- Nothing to defend the region but may be GF will move forces from Edenton ?
- The force moving there would be out of the railroad network next turn.
- How to avoid being encircled and destroyed in the following turns ?
- It would cut the supply line GF is trying to build between Norfolk/Edenton and Garrysburg.

I must also keep an eye on Keyes who can theoritecally reach City Point or Petersburg.
Attachments
AlbermaleSound.jpg
VirginiaNC.jpg

Mickey3D

Turn 44 - Resolution

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:54 pm

After further investigation, I discovered the Henderson option was not possible : the Union fleet was forbidding the crossing of the river (this is strange because I could only see a fleet in the Chowan river but nothing in the Meherrin river so I was expecting to be able to move from Greensville to Henderson :confused :) .

So I choose to attack Garrysburg :

[ATTACH]29955[/ATTACH]

A bloody battle for Lee but the Union suffered 87 hits when retreating :

[ATTACH]29956[/ATTACH]

At Goldsboro, Lonstreet "flattened" the Union :

[ATTACH]29957[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately my fleet at Albermale sound was unable to catch the two divisions in the transport fleet but there was a fight with Admiral Carter's fleet :

[ATTACH]29958[/ATTACH]
Attachments
AlbermaleSound.jpg
Goldsboro.jpg
Retreat.jpg
Redoubt.jpg

charlesonmission

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:19 pm

Looks like you got the Union on the run.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:46 pm

Mickey3D wrote:A bloody battle for Lee but the Union suffered 87 hits when retreating:

Does anyone know how hits during retreat are distributed between units? I'm looking into it, but maybe someone else knows already. If all hits go to infantry, 87 hits => 87*30 = 2610 men. If 10% go to artillery, then it would be more like 79*30 + 8*9 = 2442. Nice, but certainly didn't make up the difference in lives lost on the field.

TXcavalier
Corporal

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:57 pm

Huzzah! Great AAR Mickey! It looked like you were in some serious trouble but you might have just turned the tide.

Mickey3D

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:54 am

Does anyone know how hits during retreat are distributed between units? I'm looking into it, but maybe someone else knows already. If all hits go to infantry, 87 hits => 87*30 = 2610 men. If 10% go to artillery, then it would be more like 79*30 + 8*9 = 2442. Nice, but certainly didn't make up the difference in lives lost on the field.

Looking at the difference between the score form of previous turn and the one of this turn, CSA has lost 17776 mens and the Union 19482 mens.

Looks like you got the Union on the run.

It looked like you were in some serious trouble but you might have just turned the tide

I'm happy with the result of my offensive but it will be difficult to finish the work as my forces are tired. Moreover, with the new year, GF will be able to call for new volunteers or mobilize.

havi
Colonel

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:14 am

So grant didnt activated when u took Garyburg? Now u have cut the union suply lines and it is winter they will have lot of cohesion losses right? And they have to withdraw to the coast and re-group..

Mickey3D

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:14 pm

havi wrote:So grant didnt activated when u took Garyburg? Now u have cut the union suply lines and it is winter they will have lot of cohesion losses right? And they have to withdraw to the coast and re-group..

Rosecrans' army stack, Kearny's corps and Grant's corps were all involved in the Garysburg battle. They all retreated to Halifax NC where were already Howard's corps and McDowell's army stack.

It is difficult to assert the supply status of the Union. I will post the situation in the next messages.

Mickey3D

Turn 45 - Situation

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Score :

[ATTACH]29963[/ATTACH]

Moral difference has made a boost in my favor.

Arizona :

[ATTACH]29964[/ATTACH]

The two union divisions are back to full cohesion. But I should be able to keep El Paso against an attack if GF can't bring more troops on this theatre.

Missouri :

[ATTACH]29965[/ATTACH]

Two divisions seems to be moving toward Charleston (MO), I will send Forrest (now in Bowling Green) with some reinforcement should GF try to continue further in this direction.

McCulloch and Stand Watie are just on the left/west of the picture, behind the Gasconade river (between Rolla and Jefferson City).

Kentucky :

[ATTACH]29966[/ATTACH]

A new division is under construction in Bowling Green to replace the one sent to the East last turn.

Whyte :

[ATTACH]29967[/ATTACH]

GF is preparing an offensive in this area and is trying to cut the railroad on both sides of Stuart's force. Let's hope he will not attack this turn so my reinforcement might reach the region before (but the bad weather and cut railroads will tansform this in a race against the clock).
Attachments
Whyte.jpg
Kentucky.jpg
Missouri.jpg
Arizona.jpg
Score.jpg

Mickey3D

Turn 45 - Situation (2)

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Virginia/North Carolina :

Here below is a view of the positions (download the picture if you want to see it at full resolution).

[ATTACH]29974[/ATTACH]

1) Last turn all Union forces retreated to Halifax (NC). Mc Dowell seems to be low on supply but I can't assert the state of the other corps in the area.
2) Henderson is very weakly defended with no corps (i.e. no MSG with Halifax forces). Taking the region would cut the supply line...BUT... the weather is awful : mud everywhere and the railroad in Granville (Garysburg's region) is cut. So moving Lee or Jackson to Henderson would take 15 days (and movement in the mud is really hurting the cohesion). Polk's force is exhausted and would not arrive before 9 days (and a even worse cohesion state). It's maddening :grr: me as I'm one step away from cutting GF from Norfolk : for once the mud is an ally of the North. I'm expecting GF to move some forces there to defend the area, hopefully the move in bad weather will weaken them too.
3) The red line on the Chowan river is where I'm going to move my fleet in Albermale sound to try to cut the supply line as long as possible. Another fleet is coming to take over the blockade of Albermale sound (I moved the brigs from the Gulf blockade box last turn). I'm ready to lose both of my fleet as the potential result is worht it.

Side question : where are the two divisions transported by the fleet I tried to intercept last turn ?

Supply :

Still 3983 points in Richmond depots.
Attachments
VirginiaNC-2.jpg

pob303
Private

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:31 pm

Mickey

As a relative newbie, I would just like to say a huge thank you to you and GF. I have learnt so much more from your respective AARs than the manual ever taught me. It gives me hope that I will be able to play a PBEM one day soon and not make too much of a fool of myself!

Just one question. Why move your brigs from the gulf blockade? Does that not cost a large amount of WS?

Mickey3D

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks a lot pob303, I'm happy if it helped you. If you have specific question do not hesitate to ask them here or somewhere else on the forum.

Yes, moving my fleet will make me lose the blockade runner income : a few WSU not important because I have more than enough of them and more or less 15$ per turn. I'm ready to take the risk to try to cut GF from his supply.

Jim-NC

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:54 am

Welcome to the forums pob303 and TXcavalier :wavey:
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mickey3D

Turn 45 - Resolution

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Quiet turn where I have prepared my forces for the next phase and GF moved most of his forces to Henderson.

Buchanan's fleet has beaten Worden in the Chowan River and is now in control of this strategical location :

[ATTACH]30028[/ATTACH]
Attachments
ChowanRiver.jpg

Mickey3D

Turn 46 - Situation

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:16 am

Score :

[ATTACH]30033[/ATTACH]

Missouri :

[ATTACH]30034[/ATTACH]

GF has retreated the two divisions that were heading toward Charleston (MO) to Saint-Louis. It has lost most of his cohesion due to the move in bad weather.

Whyte :

[ATTACH]30035[/ATTACH]

A depot has been built and Stuart is well entrenched. Moreover a cavalry division will arrive in a couple of days from Liberty (VA).

[ATTACH]30036[/ATTACH]

1) Kearny's Supply bar is empty ! I hope the other corps (Mansfield, Howard, Grant) are in the same state...
2) Rosecrans' supply is also nearly empty. McDowell's army has been disbanded and is now a corps. Consequently all corps in Halifax and Henderson can support each other using MSG.
3) GF is sending a fleet with several battleships : I'm not sure but I think they can't enter the Albermale Bay.
4) Chowan river is in my control. I may expect an attack from the fleet in Albermal sound (power = 94) but I'll try to stay there as long as possible to cut the supply from Norfolk/Edenton.
5) Albermale sound is blockaded.

Unfortunately (but standard for February), the weather is mostly "mud".

Supply :

Stock of 4137 points in Richmond.
Attachments
VirginiaNC.jpg
Whyte.jpg
SaintLouis.jpg
Score.jpg

Mickey3D

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:28 am

I have made a mistake last turn :non: : I should have joined Jackson with Lee. If I attack Henderson, Jackson can support Lee with MSG but due to the mud the % will be very low :(

pgr
General of the Army

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 pm

Mickey3D wrote:
[ATTACH]30033[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30036[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately (but standard for February), the weather is mostly "mud".

Supply :

Stock of 4137 points in Richmond.

Great to read... and thanks for the supply updates. Seems as though Richmond has had no trouble staying supplied.
I'm really impressed by the relative power score. Assuming you can destroy what remains of the US command in NC and Southern VA, what is the Union position in Maryland? It seems an invasion could defiantly be in the cards...

As for the mud...it cuts both ways. GF won't really be able to evacuate, and it will make his supply position harder. From your screens, it looks like his army is taking major attrition hits even when you aren't fighting (and low supply is impacting his cohesion%).

Mickey3D

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:25 pm

pgr wrote:Seems as though Richmond has had no trouble staying supplied.

Indeed. I was expecting to have enough supply for several months but it seems I was pessimistic and the supply stays more or less the same from one turn to the other. In Virginia there is a lot of places producing supply, I have made a list :

- Manchester : 30
- Alexandria : 39
- Manassas : 9
- New Market : 116
- Fredericksburg : 28
- Staunton : 36
- Lexington : 19
- Liberty : 9
- Williamsburg : 24
- Richmond : 209
- Burkeville : 128
- Lynchburg : 28
- Petersburg : 46

Total = 691 / 34 (supply used by a division) --> 20 divisions can be sustained.

I'm really impressed by the relative power score.

I think this is due to the loss of cohesion of GF forces not to actual losses.

Assuming you can destroy what remains of the US command in NC and Southern VA, what is the Union position in Maryland? It seems an invasion could defiantly be in the cards...

Yes definitively an invasion is possible. Here is a screenshot of Northern Virginia :
[ATTACH]30104[/ATTACH]

But the US command is not yet destroyed...

As for the mud...it cuts both ways. GF won't really be able to evacuate, and it will make his supply position harder. From your screens, it looks like his army is taking major attrition hits even when you aren't fighting (and low supply is impacting his cohesion%).

It's my hope ... If GF's supply is really cut he might still try to use riverine movement to evacuate (risky but possible).
Attachments
NorthVirginia.jpg

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:36 am

Can't wait for what's coming next... This is developping in such an interesting way. the premice was GrayFox showing how his army make up and sole east focus could bludgeon through anything, but it looks like he outwitted himself with an invasion in NC where terrain and availability of ports and cities is really poor... He should retreat back to the coast there and resume classic overland attacks (extend the CSA's defensive line an crush one end where MTSG stays limited, forcing a gradual collapse of the frontline). Very very interesting !

Mickey3D

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:32 am

Thanks Veji1. I'm waiting for the file orders of GrayFox, maybe this week-end ?

havi
Colonel

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:54 pm

cmoon lets go fight allready

Mickey3D

Turn 46 - Resolution

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:09 am

I was presumptuous...

Initially I wanted to concentrate my forces in Garysburg but at the last minute I decided to attack with Lee...it was a mistake... and a blood bath :

[ATTACH]30209[/ATTACH]

Edit : This attack was a mistake and I knew it. Lee force was not strong enough (ratio less than 1:1 before MSG) and support by mean of MSG was difficult due to the mud. :cursing:
Attachments
Stockade.jpg

Mickey3D

Turn 47 - Situation

Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:26 am

Score :

[ATTACH]30210[/ATTACH]

Missouri :

[ATTACH]30211[/ATTACH]

Kentucky :

[ATTACH]30214[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30213[/ATTACH]
Note that except for Farragut's Fleet, it's small fleets (4 ships) previously used to control the Ohio river.

Whyte :

[ATTACH]30216[/ATTACH]

My partisans managed to destroy the depot in Prestonburg. :cool:
Stuart is now reinforced and the area strongly in my hands.
Attachments
Whyte.jpg
LouisVille.jpg
Evansville.jpg
Saint-Louis.jpg
Score.jpg

Mickey3D

Turn 47 - Situation (2)

Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:44 am

Northern Virginia :

[ATTACH]30217[/ATTACH]
A small reinforcement of forces in Washington DC.

[ATTACH]30218[/ATTACH]
And GF is trying to cut the railroad to Richmond and scouting Richmond area : is something coming into his mind ?

[ATTACH]30219[/ATTACH]

Lee has been severly beaten but several Union forces are out of supply. Unfortunately I can't see any effect on their power at the moment :(
Union force under Franklin has moved from Edenton to Chowan region.

I have some difficulty to read GF's plan at the moment : Grant, McDowell and Rosecrans forces seem to lack supply but I don't see a clear move from him to try to rebuild a supply path or to remove his forces to a safer place. :confused:

[ATTACH]30220[/ATTACH]

GF has moved several fleets into Edenton harbor : is he giving them a rest before a future attack on one of my fleets ?

Supply :

4356 points in Richmond
Attachments
CurrituckFleet.jpg
VA_NC.jpg
PartisanVa.jpg
McClellan.jpg

Congoblue
Conscript

Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:32 pm

I've just discovered this excellent AAR.
Can't wait for the next instalment - thanks very much for posting.

Return to “CW2 AARs”