Ring around the Rosy

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:55 pm

Wow.
As usual, a plethora of game data.

Looks like Virginia is in a whirlpool of destruction. :w00t:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:53 pm

After further consideration I have decided to make a slight alteration to my proposed moves. Its in the Eastern Theatre. I cannot help but think that my intended move of Jackson to Harpers will leave him too exposed for my liking given the current command penalties. Consequently I'm going to hold him short at Winchester in defensive mode. Smith at Harpers I am altering to attack with orders to destroy the rail and move back to Winchester. Its effectively giving up Harpers without a fight should the Union attack timidly but if they do come in strength it could be a wise move.

Ace

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:57 am

soundoff wrote:

Pretty ambitious build for the CSA. Are you sure you can buy army HQ, 3 medics and an engineer. These are all useful units, but CSA cannot afford them and pay 2$ bounty, and recruit new units after the bounty.

By the way, HQ and medic cohesion bonuses do not add up. These are the same abilities.

Bugwar, CSA has to shuffle units like that. If it remains static, you are opening so many flanking opportunities.

P.S.

Great AAR. You strategic thoughts are shown nicely and cleanly.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Ace wrote:Pretty ambitious build for the CSA. Are you sure you can buy army HQ, 3 medics and an engineer. These are all useful units, but CSA cannot afford them and pay 2$ bounty, and recruit new units after the bounty.

By the way, HQ and medic cohesion bonuses do not add up. These are the same abilities.

Ace,

At one level I accept its too ambitious a build for the CSA but if I don't invest now I just know I will regret it later. Those medics will be a godsend as will the engineers. The HQ unit I'm purchasing early so that I can temporarily send it to Jackson just to give him a couple of additional command points until I can form Corps in March 62. I'd love a few spare commanders or a couple more 2 star generals so that I was better able to create 4 CP stacks. As that's wishful thinking I just have to do the best I can. That HQ support group at least will give Jackson 2 extra CPs.

On a secondary note, and I know its total pie in the sky, if I could I'd have an engineer and a medic with every Corp.

Turning to the bounty I have $201,000 in reserve and with the treasury decisions that will rise to £1001,000 plus the usual monthly increase. Paying the $2 bounty will cost me $750,000 for those 375 conscripts. Yep, my remaining funds are not going to go anywhere near enabling me to use up all of those conscripts in one or even two turns. At least they will be in the bank so to speak. After all as we are playing with historical attrition (the only way to go IMHO) I shall need to use a fair number for replacements just to stand still let alone purchase new units.

Of course all of this presupposes that Banks does not achieve a swift kill :thumbsup:

Finally thankee most kindly for the encouraging words regarding the AAR. I do so hope that Banks and I can continue to entertain and in some small way help to positively promote an extremely good game.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Sorry for the delay in progressing this AAR folks but sadly Banks has informed me that he has a major computer problem that might set him back for some time. I do hope we can get things going again soon. Who knows by the time we restart patch 1.03 might be out. If it is we will transfer to it (assuming of course that its save game compatible)

Ace

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:07 pm

I would recommend restarting from turn 1. Patch 1.03. has so many gameplay changes even from turn 1 with the new added structures for both sides, it would be a shame not to include them.
You haven't gone too far into the game. You could play up to June in couple of days, and inform us of the current standing right before mayor armies unlock.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Ace wrote:I would recommend restarting from turn 1. Patch 1.03. has so many gameplay changes even from turn 1 with the new added structures for both sides, it would be a shame not to include them.
You haven't gone too far into the game. You could play up to June in couple of days, and inform us of the current standing right before mayor armies unlock.

At a personal level Ace I'm all for it. As you say nothing much has happened so far. And yes if we were quick it would only take a couple of days at most to catch up. Banks however seems to be finding it slow going. I presume its work and other commitments. I do intend to run it past him however. After all we could leave the AAR's as is and we'd only need to comment on any changes.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:07 am

Ok good people.

Just received an e-mail from Banks informing me that his computer has been fixed. Hurrah. After discussion we have agreed to restart with 1.03 when its released (I think that will be the 6th Feb so not too far away)
Neither of us is totally happy about a restart - we reckon that's down to our lazy natures but as we are only 5 moves in its not really a big deal. Banks said he would move EXACTLY as before. Now whilst that's very honourable and commendable of him I've had to inject a word of caution into his comment. As I understand it both sides will get extra resources - cash and conscripts. Consequently we will both be able to raise more troops and some will undoubtedly appear in those first 5 moves we have played so my gut feeling is that it probably will not be possible to EXACTLY replicate our opening moves although I do agree with him that we will attempt to do so as far as is possible but I shall not hold it against him if the Union moves earlier with the Washington Brigade on Harpers for example.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Just had a discussion with Banks and providing that 1.03 patch is released on time (its due on the 6th) then we shall restart, as far as possible using our original moves, and hopefully be in a position to progress Late June onwards by the beginning of next week. We have decided that as we both like the new 'hidden activation' feature that we shall use this. It will be less 'gamey' and far more realistic.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Sorry to say good that given todays news that the 1.03 patch is not going to be released as a stand alone for a few days more regrettably Banks and I have had to put back our resumption date.. As soon as 1.03 is available we will be back in action. Lets hope its not too far away.

bugwar
Sergeant

Slow and Steady

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Take your time. The AAR is not a rush item. ;)

After all, the civil war wasn't over in ninety days, despite what all the pundits claimed at the start. :mdr:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Now that the 1.03 patch is available we should be off and running again very soon. Already sent Banks the first turn a few minutes ago. :w00t:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:53 pm

Well Banks and I have restarted. We are currently up to the End of May so not long to go before we have caught up. As far as possible we have tried to re-create the same moves. Our only changes in terms of gameplay is that we elected to use the 'hidden' activation status of leaders.

So far events have panned out quite similar to our original start. The only differences, at least for the CSA, are as listed below.

In Early May I again attempted to move the 3 Richmond ships independently. I was not quite as successful. The US Navy sitting at Fort Monroe engaged. I was lucky in that my Brigand escaped unscathed and the Plymouth Squadron suffered only minor damage.

Unfortunately the End of May turn my Richmond gunboat which last time slipped by the Union defences was spotted by the Fort Monroe gunners and was unceremoniously sunk.

I also tried to recreate my Late April march with the Winchester Militia through Harpers Ferry and onto Fredericktown. Because we are using the 'long delay' feature the troops decided to resist obeying orders immediately and wasted 6 days preparing. The upshot was that they finished the move at Harpers and still had a further 4 days of marching before they could reach their scheduled destination. So for the Early May move I called off the assault and ordered them to hold at Harpers.. It was a futile decision as Woods and the Washington Brigade (no Shurtz or Shurtz cavalry this time) smacked them hard and sent my old boys packing and high tailing it back to Winchester.

This then is what the position looked like after the Early May move. As of Late May the position has not changed. Woods and the Washington Brigade still laud it over Harpers Ferry. They made no attempt to press on to Winchester. At Winchester I have reinforced with the Richmond Brigade that became active in Early May so currently we have a bit of a Mexican standoff.

Every other theatre is about as was originally.

Obviously both Banks and myself are seeing noticeable differences with the latest patch particularly in conscripts and money. For the South the change is blindingly obvious as the last images demonstrate.
The first shows my scheduled builds as at the End of May in our new game. The second shows the builds I had ordered as at the End of June in 1.02 ........... a month later. As you can see there is no comparison. I still feel I have to penny pinch but that's as it should be. With the changes in 1.03 I do suspect that I should be able to make a better fist of holding on. .......with the usual caveats of providing I make no stupid errors and that Banks does not bring off too many brilliant manoeuvres. :thumbsup:

I should add that I have both raised taxes and issued bonds. I still have almost 450,000 in the treasury. I could even have gotten away with not raising taxes were it not for my preferred early spending on HQ support, Engineers and Medics.

bugwar
Sergeant

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks for the update.

So did the Rebels gain a lot more manpower in the new version, or did you just gain more bucks?

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:14 am

bugwar wrote:Thanks for the update.

So did the Rebels gain a lot more manpower in the new version, or did you just gain more bucks?

The gains are at both ends. Manpower and Money have been increased. You still cannot do everything but its a lot better IMO

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:37 pm

[color="#FFFF00"]End of June 1861[/color]

[color="#FFFF00"]EASTERN THEATRE[/color]

Banks and I have now reached our previous position. I'm deliberately not going to say anything about other theatres as in truth little has changed. I will however show you a couple of images as to what is going on in the East purely because I have to seriously reconsider the moves I had planned for this neck of the woods.

So here is what the current situation looks like. On the face of it not much different from last time around. Theoretically I could plan the same shuffle move with the Army of the Shenandoah to Manassas and the Army of the Potomac to Fredricksburg

Trouble is just look at the build up the USA is making at Harpers Ferry. Certainly a radical change from last time around and one that I have to attempt to combat in some way or other.....but how. At least Smith is sitting at Winchester with a decent force. Of course all of this has coincided with the main Armies becoming unlocked. What to do what to do? Just as soon as I've reached a decision I'll post my actual planned turn for Late June.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:35 pm

[color="#FFFF00"]Late June 1861 amendments[/color]

[color="#FFFF00"]EASTERN THEATRE [/color]

Its over in the East that I've had to make the biggest changes. Gone is my move of the Army of the Potomac to Fredricksburg and the Army of the Shenandoah to Manassas with Jackson poised to assault Harpers. Given the Union strength at the Ferry my instinct says that I cannot let it go unchallenged. The Union have been entrenching for a couple of turns so I reckon I need an army sized force to have any chance of dislodging them. I know I shall be unable to hold onto Harpers Ferry in the long run but to give it up now with a whimper is just too early in the game. I could elect to use Johnstons Army of the Shenandoah but I hope to keep the Union guessing. It would be nice to confuse Banks as much as I confuse myself at times. :bonk: It is possible for me to rail the Potomac Army to Harpers within the time frame providing that I prune the army of its negative CP's. OK so it will require me to cross fingers that Beauregard does not linger at Manassas but with Longstreet to chivvy him along he might just get the message that speed is important. :thumbsup:

Athough my rail capacity is creaking I have just enough left to transport the army of the Shenandoah to Manassas. As Johnstons command is unable to use all of its CP allocation assuming the move works it will have the added advantage of providing his force with additional troops next turn.

Of course all of this is dependant on the Union not striking at Manassas at the same time that I am moving. Ah well I could agonise over it forever. In for a penny in for a pound as we say on this side of the pond.

So here is the proposed move.

And this is Beauregards army after I've stripped the excess CP's from it. I pray that its enough to do the job and that Banks has no plans to fortify Harpers Ferry further in the coming move.

I just thought I'd show you what is happening in [color="#FFFF00"]WEST VIRGINIA[/color]. In many respects this is as was. The only change is that I am getting a couple of cavalry regiments in place for rail cutting duties earlier than I did previously. Floyd and his forces (now that they can move) still have orders to fall back on Covington where I'm building that pesky depot.

That only leaves the [color="#FFFF00"]TRANS MISSISSIPPI[/color] where I've had to make one minor change.

Rather stupidly I forgot to move General Winder to Memphis early enough. The net result is that I had to decide whether to still commit the 1st TN Brigade to assault Charleston but without a leader. Hmmm after due deliberation I've decided to go for it. Winder is still some 11 days away from Memphis so I've retargeted his movement actually onto the 1st TN Brigade. I'm pretty sure he will not be able to catch up with them but at least he should be heading in the right direction.

Well that's about it. Just have to keep fingers crossed that when I process the turn its not too much of a disaster. Oh well time will tell.

bugwar
Sergeant

A wizard is never late ...

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:14 pm

soundoff wrote: Rather stupidly I forgot to move General Winder to Memphis early enough.

No,no, no.

You have to phrase it so that it was your plan to delay Winder all along! :thumbsup:

Something along the lines that “While General Winder might advance to Memphis, I delayed him to allow for unforseen contingencies....” or some such.

Good luck on the actions, the Gray are counting on you!

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:38 am

Looking forward to player stacks' power being displayed individually again, it makes it hard for AAR readers to tell what is going on in screenshots.

Excited to see you guys back at it!

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:04 pm

ArmChairGeneral wrote:Looking forward to player stacks' power being displayed individually again, it makes it hard for AAR readers to tell what is going on in screenshots.

Excited to see you guys back at it!

Must admit I do not like the change. For example it grieves me that at Manassas I'm showing 4 stacks each with a power rating of 1326 and that I have to examine each one to get an accurate picture. Its been made hard for me as a player to know what is going on so I can well understand how difficult it is for the AAR reader. IMHO the change could only have been introduced as an aide to the opponent which I'm sad about. Its totally unnecessary for the player of a particular faction. Unfortunately we are going to have to live with it as Banks and I do not intend to do another restart and I'm sure that when further patches are released they will not be 'entirely' save game compatible........they never have in the past. Not that I'm complaining the game is what it is and support from the developers is first class.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:06 am

Plus, the change was well intentioned and addressed the whole "general hiding a stack" issue, this is just an unintended consequence that I am sure will be addressed. Can't wait to hear what happens next with you and Banks!

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:37 pm

[color="#FFFF00"]Early July 1861[/color]

[color="#FF0000"]

Harpers Ferry retaken. Union forces in full retreat. Beauregard and Longstreet the toast of Richmond
[/color]

Well that's the good news and if I have embroidered the event somewhat.......why not.

Under the circumstances my attack went just about as well as I could have expected particularly as those pesky Union troops were well entrenched. It was a close run thing. The result actually shows a stalemate which in view of the casualties both sides suffered is about right. Given that I did manage to retake Harpers I consider the overall result as being satisfactory. As I've alluded to before I do not expect to be able to hang onto Harpers for long. I'm just hoping that it might make Banks ponder on what the heck my strategy is in the East.

The battle outcome goes to show just how important entrenchment, good commanders and no command penalties are. Although I had numerical superiority it was less than 2 to 1. On the credit side I had James Longstreet and Beauregards offensive ratings working in my favour. My greatest advantage however was that I suffered no command penalties whereas as you can see from the next image the Union force was under a huge handicap. Even with those two advantages I was still fortunate to carry the field that was because he was well entrenched and entrenched troops can be so hard to shift unless you have significant numbers on your side.

The problem I am wrestling with now is what to do next. Generally speaking all of my moves in the Eastern Theatre went exactly as I had hoped which in some respects has thrown me a wobbly as I expected Banks to have been more aggressive. Maybe he is waiting for me to show my hand or perhaps this turn?

Enough of my musing and onto the current position in the East. Looking at the map on the western edge I'm seeing Patterson with a power rating of 180. Another commander carrying a 35% command penalty. Then there is Stone at Harpers Ferry, also with a 35% penalty. The Union have also taken Leesburg but with only a small force. Next we come to McDowells large stack at Alexandria. OK so its showing power of 1291 but that's everything including the Alexandria garrison. Against that force I have Johnston at Manassas after his successful march. He is already starting to entrench. I've added to his command those spare units that Beauregard left behind. That makes Johnstons command a healthy 843 in power. Yes I know it shows 859 that's because the image figure includes the Manassas garrison (I do so detest the power alteration made to 1.03)

I must admit to currently being at a total loss to how Banks intends to play the next few moves in this theatre. As for me I will await developments. I remain extremely concerned about Fredericksburg. It is such a tempting target as I know from games of old when I played the Union side. Its easy to get to with a sidestep at Manassas. I only have Magruder and Ruggles there with a total power of 408 counting all units in the region. Even though I am entrenching its my CSA boys that have the 35% penalty and there is nothing I can do about it. I just have to keep my fingers crossed that Banks is not that ambitious. :love:

I think I'm quite content with how things are around Winchester and Harpers Ferry, at least for this coming turn. Consequently the only moves I intend to make are to attempt to cut rail and (by taking a calculated risk) move G Smith and his small force at Winchester towards Norfolk. I'll explain why in a minute or two.

In West Virginia, my aim is unchanged. I will continue to fall back on Covington. The retreat has already started I just hope the Union do not persue too quickly. My reasoning for falling back on Covington is to put as much difficult terrain between my opponents supply sources and his front line troops as is possible. Certainly in winter he will be lucky if supply gets pushed more than two regions forward into West Virginia. That means he will either have to build intermediate depots or bring plenty of supply wagons with him. Another plus for me is that Covington lies in mountainous terrain which if I have to defend just suits me fine as offensive frontage will be so poor. OK so he can outflank the position but that's going to take time and time is what I need to keep ticking away.

Ah well back to Virginia and onto Norfolk. As you can see under Huger I continue to slowly build at Norfolk. I remain convinced it will be an early target for Banks. I'm alarmed to already see a couple of Transports close inshore. I pray they do not contain troops. If he can establish a Union bridgehead there it will severely compromise the Confederate position. I just have to assume he is coming. How I would love to have one......just one two star general I could appoint to the defense. My gut feeling is that an assault will come before October and the ability to create divisions arrives. The likelyhood therefore is that I shall have command deficiencies. Because I feel in my water the need to strengthen Norfolk I'm taking the risk of moving General Smith and his force from Winchester. It will take 19 days. I desperately hope that Banks does not come now. As was my original intention I remain committed to building a fortress at Norfolk but its taking time to gather the necessary parts (too much time). I shall continue regardless.

[color="#FFFF00"]
WESTERN THEATRE
[/color]

Until Kentucky decides which way to jump I suspect that in 61 Banks and I will spar for position in this theatre. The 1st TN Brigade duly made it to Charleston. Sadly the Union force retired without offering a defence. As expected General Winder failed to catch up the the Tennessee boys (he is currently at island 10) but he should join his command this time around. General Polk who has reported for duty at Memphis is to assume overall command of the Charleston force.

As the gloves are now off between the pair of us I've ordered my combined fleets under Hollins to attack Footes force and if successful move to Cape Girardeau. Any chance I have of slowing down the Union advance I will take. :thumbsup: Together with Polks move to Charleston hopefully I will be able to attempt to exert some pressure on Cairo.

[color="#FFFF00"]TRANS-MISSISSIPPI[/color]

As anticipated the Union have captured Rolla. At least I destroyed the depot. I expect that Lyons will take Jefferson City this time. Price is residing comfortably in Springfield. Once again its that darned command penalty. With all of his troops under his command he manages a measly 208 power. By splitting his forces away I can raise it to 230 (a 10% increase) October and the ability to create divisions cannot come soon enough for the South :coeurs:

I intend to do little to provoke my enemy and will just console myself by gathering my troops a trifle closer and adding one or two of my outlying cavalry units.

[color="#FFFF00"]
FAR WEST
[/color]

Do you know I think we might have a wee bit of fun in this out of the way area in the coming months. I do hope so. This is the extent of my Northern advance. I've ringed all of the tempting Kansas targets. My heart tells me to go for them. With Selby in command and a decent cavalry force behind him I know I have a real chance of doing some damage. My head tells me that any damage would be short lived. Already mud is arriving in the region. Its so so easy to advance cavalry well beyond their supply lines then find them starving to death. I'm pretty certain that if I let my heart rule my head that's what would happen so I'm going to do the sensible thing and move them back to Springfield.

Honing in closer I'm quietly confident that the Union force commanded by Sumner near Mound City will head for Lawrence. I'm pretty sure that Banks cannot afford to let Shelby have a run at Lawrence and perhaps Leavenworth. I hope I'm calling it right as my actual move is to attempt to retake Fort Scott. If I can also engage that 2nd US cavalry unit all the better.

Further South my Rangers are heading for Forts Dodge, Larned and Zarah. There is only the single US cavalry unit at Tallasi that I'm not too concerned about.

Well that's about it except to explain a little bit about my intended spending/purchases for next turn. Currently I have 262 thousand dollars in the treasury. I'm raising taxes this turn to generate a further 400,000. If you add into that my expected city income of 184,000 then for late July I should have around 825,000 in the bank. That's what I'm aiming for. Why you might ask? Well we now have the 'Call for Volunteers' The options are pay no bounty. Pay 1 dollar. Pay 1.5 dollars or pay 2 dollars.

Sadly I have no love of how this works as its affected by dice rolls and with the 1 and 1.5 dollar options you can (if you are unlucky) raise less volunteers than you would get by paying no bounty at all .....and it costs to boot. The only sensible option is to pay the 2 dollar bounty if you can afford it. If you do the amount of volunteers that gather to the colours is fixed. In the case of the South that number is 375. Now for 375 volunteers to answer the call to the colours you need 750,000 in the treasury. 375 x 2 That amount needs to be sitting in the treasury when you elect to pay the bounty as paying for volunteers comes after city income is added but before treasury actions like raising taxes.

Thus if I attempted to pay the 2 dollar bounty with only 262,000 in my treasury I would end up not being able to fund the bounty for 375 volunteers. The upshot would be that I'd only be able to raise around 200 and that would cost me 400,000. Whereas if I'd elected to pay no bounty at all I'd probably recruit 180 conscripts. So you could say that the way the game is coded......if I did not know better I'd likely end up paying 400,000 for around 20 conscripts.....not a wise choice.

Consequently I'll raise the cash this turn and call for volunteers next. I cannot really afford to lose 14 days but I have no option.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:05 pm

OK, OK,OK. As I sit here waiting for Banks to post me his early July move as usual I sit and ponder for the umpteenth time my orders. Should I alter this......perhaps a touch less of that. In the end I'm going around in circles. It is one of the few downsides of PBEMing.......waiting for your opponent to provide that elusive next turn. Anyhow to cut to the chase I've just revisiting my plan (for the last time he says keeping fingers crossed) and decided that after the end of June move I'm just being too timid in the East for my own good. So a major alteration.

To recap. On my left flank I have Patterson but he is on his own and carrying a 35% penalty. He's only a 1 strategic and zero zero attack and defence therefore why am I so worried he might strike at Strasburg? So its a possibility but most unlikely. Then we have Stones force with 4 other Union Generals that are currently retreating to Fulton. Well am I really expecting them to turn around and have another go at Beauregard.....or maybe try to march on Winchester.......I think not. Next is the small Blue Brigade at Leesburg .......little to worry about from that force methinks.

Altogether that only leaves McDowells large formation at Alexandria facing off Johnston and Jackson at Manassas. As I said before I cannot see McDowell having a crack at Manassas but he could sidestep to Fredericksburg.....but will he? If he does it would leave Alexandria rather exposed.

Having mused some more and vacillated between the pure brilliance of my strategy and the total lunacy of my conjecture I've decided on the following changes (only to this area of operation I should add. All other moves on the map remain as stated).

Beauregard is to attack Leesburg. IF.....and its a big if........I'm lucky I could catch Stones force again before it retires to Fulton. I then might bring to battle that Union Brigade at Leesburg although I rather suspect that Banks will retire it.

If I'm right in assuming that Banks will not pressurise my Valley flank in the coming turn and also keep McDowell at Alexandria then (if my plan is successful....a lot of if's in this move) I will be pressurising Alexandria from two sides. That should give him something to think about for a turn or two. :love:

As this will leave my left Valley flank extremely weak I intend to try to advance Johnson and his command at Strasburg to Harpers Ferry and replace his defending force with Mahones Brigade hastening to the front from Manchester. I am severely short of commanders so the one move I think I must reluctantly make is to pull back Whiting and his cavalry to enable him to assume command of Mahone Brigade when it arrives.

Well that's it good readers. Changes all done and dusted and entered in. Just have to await my illustrious opponent sending me his turn. :love:

Ace

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:27 am

What is Union MC at Harpers Ferry?

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:24 am

Fortunately I have the edge but not by enough its 57% CSA - 43% USA. With me in offensive posture it should increase.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:18 pm

[color="#FFFF00"]Grrrrrrr[/color]

Received Bank's orders last night. Took a look at the results this morning. Will get around to posting a full report ASAP but for now I'll share with you a couple of points to be going on with as I'm aware that due to work demands on my adversaries time we have been a tad slow of late.

Well in the East its a fine howdydodee and that's no error. Trying to pin those blue boys down is akin to attempting to catch smoke in a colander......impossible. Stones force at Harpers Ferry managed to do the soft shoe shuffle and get out of the way of Johnstons army. Those Union fellas at Leesburg high tailed it to who knows where. In the Trans-Mississippi Footes fleet ran from Hollins and the 2nd US cavalry near Ft Belmont elected not to mix it with Shelby. What has a self respecting Southern gentleman to do to bring the Yankees to battle. I have to congratulate my opponent however as he surely suckered me on every move.

To really make my day and matters decidedly worse I totally misread Bank's intentions. He has not gone for Norfolk (shame on him) he's landed in the Peninsula and taken Hampton Roads and the Norfolk garrison must have been asleep because even though they had orders to bombard they failed to fire a single shot. Talk about being slapped in the belly with a wet cod.

Anyhow I've provided three images of Virginia. showing whats what and whats where. I shall ponder long and hard regarding my next move. I did think that perhaps you might like to pick the bones out of it in the discussion thread.
:thumbsup:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:53 pm

[color="#FFFF00"]Late July 1861[/color]

Well good people I've hummed and ahhh'd and thought of this and that over the last few days and to be honest I'm still none the wiser as to what I should do. Expecting Bank's next turn over the weekend its decision time. Here goes but just so that you can have a chuckle or two I've decided to outline how things changed during the week.

A few days before I gave you the frustrating news that I just cannot seem to bring the Union forces to any sort of battle. My opponent really is playing this conservatively (for now) which surprises me. My first thought was that if I could not bring the North to battle then I must adopt a defensive stance and wait for the USA to attack my positions. Consequently my initial stab at creating my late July orders led me to the following decisions.

As you can see it was totally defensive. A few excursions by cavalry units in the Valley to attempt to cut rail and a half hearted attempt by Bonhams boys from the Army of the Potomac to assault Fredericktown. Other than those limited moves a complete zilch....a total nothingness. Simply waiting in my defensive positions for Banks to decide to launch an attack somewhere. There were a few other intended bits and pieces such as sidling a few units into Williamsburg in the peninsula and sending the odd unit to New Market just in case Patterson had any offensive ideas but overall a complete handover of the initiative to my opponent.

In my defence I'd examined the position long and hard and no objectives of significance can be reached in a single turn. I cannot even rail Jackson with his fast mover trait down the peninsula to have a go at Hamilton at James City (not that I'd have the slightest chance of success if I could). In similar fashion, although tempting, if I sent Whitings force at Strasburg against Patterson I'd be obliterated. The terrain is totally against me, and I don't have numbers on my side.

I was never comfortable with the idea of doing so little. The Union keep running from me and I cannot press forever.....soon his numbers will start to tell but I just that I cannot except sitting there waiting for the hammer blow to fall. It was just sticking in my gullet. Right or wrong to sit on my backside is not a British soldiers trait....and it certainly cannot be a Confederate one. The germs of plan two thus started to surface in my mind and out of the window went the conservative approach.....to be replaced by.......

Now we are talking. From the sublime to the ridiculous. Lets really give the North something to think about. I'm still cutting rail in West Virginia but I've decided it's time to strike North. I cannot reach Gettysburg in less than 16 days but I could certainly be well on my way. And who knows ......riches beyond our wildest dreams would then be within reach. The Army of the Potomac is given orders to advance and attack. Lets not stop there. I know I'll send Jackson from the Army of the Shenandoah scurrying after Beauregard. That really will be an attack force.

I mull this move over for an hour or so and reluctantly decide that I cannot leave the Manassas force that depleted (after detaching Jackson) I redress detaching Jackson by ordering Longstreet to replace him. His defensive capabilities will be so much better employed in the Shenandoah Army.

Yep......I'm now much more contented at the thought of yomping across those Northern borders.

A day later reality kicks in and I finally elect to do the following:

Its just too darned dangerous to send one of my two armies so far into enemy territory. August will soon be upon us and the mud will come before long. I shall be far away from supply (even though I shall be taking a wagon with me) I already know it will take more than the next move to get to Gettysburg which means it will be late August before I arrive. Nah....its just too silly a move. So I revisit the plan for the umpteenth time. The Union positions are however split and I cannot shake myself from the thought that there MUST be a move somewhere that I can make to rattle the Northern cage.

I go to one of my favourite map views ........the supply map. Just look at that. Pattersons force is in supply but the line is so tenuous. What if those intended moves of mine in West Virginia instead of being focused on rail cutting were changed to interdicting supply. Hmmm possibilities. Particularly as Patterson is now in difficult terrain and suffering from a 35% command penalty. Those boys of his are not going to move that fast at all. To complete the net I'd need to get rid of Stones force that sits to the North of Harpers Ferry. Its still recovering so I should be able to shunt it to one side with the Army of the Potomac. That seems eminently more sensible. It would have the additional bonus of keeping the Army close to Harpers, just in case I need to retire it but if it works then the Union forces become more isolated. Then I have another brainwave. What if I leave Jackson still ploughing on towards Gettysburg He will not make it but it should still throw a googly into the Union plans (at least I can hope so). If it works then Patterson and his merry men will either have to stick or twist. And if they stick they might well starve. There is however just one fly.....and it could be a very large fly..... in the ointment. Its going to take Beauregard 14 days to reach Stone. That's right on the edge. Still its worth a try.

To cover the possibility of Patterson advancing towards New Market I shall move additional troops to cover the city.

[color="#FF0000"]Peninsula[/color]

I've decided at least for the current move to show this as a subset of the Eastern Theatre. The Union occupation of James City and the ignoring of Norfolk has thrown me completely. There is no way that I can shift those forces under Hamilton at present. Indeed if Banks continues to strengthen Hamilton then I fear I shall never be able to shift him and will have to accept a standoff. Such a situation is fraught with danger as it would mean that at anytime he could sail a fleet up the James.....hop the troops onto the transports and offload them say at Suffolk or any other region that borders the River. Not a comfortable thought at all. One I have to live with for now. Consequently I've ordered Bonham from Norfolk where he has only just arrived to take command of the troops I'm dispatching with all haste from Richmond to Williamsburg. Its the best I can do.

[color="#FFFF00"]TRANS-MISSISSIPPI[/color]

Sadly a thin report in this theatre. As you already know I could not bring Footes river fleet to battle. Hollins I intend to leave sitting outside of Cairo for a turn or two just to stop USA forces from crossing to Charlestown at least until Polk and infantry reinforcements have arrived. The only other bit of news strictly relates to the Western Theatre but I'll include it here. I intend sending Woods brigade from Nashville to add weight to Fort Henry. My initial plan was not to strengthen Forts Henry and Donelson but in view of the fact that it might take some time for Kentucky to fire I suspect that my original decision was somewhat misplaced.

Very little has changed in Missouri. Jefferson City was taken by Lyons. There is little the CSA can do about that with an experienced Union player. Its a sad fact of life. At least those Northern Boys are not advancing.......YET. Has Banks not built much in this area? It would explain a lot. I wonder. I have little enough to take the initiative with so will continue to hope that my cavalry remains a nuisance and a thorn in the enemies side.

As expected the 2nd US cavalry evaded Shelby but at least I took Ft Scott. I intend for Shelby to strike at Mound City. Sumner has disappeared from my radar but a garrison has materialised at Lawrence. Could this be Sumner and his force I wonder? I do hope so for it would mean that my opponent did indeed think I was heading for Lawrence and Leavenworth. Anything that stops the Union from advancing if for only a turn is OK by me.

[color="#FFFF00"]
FAR WEST
[/color]

And so to the last. My mounted troops continue to reek havoc where ever they can. I've created a couple of units at Mesilla and intend them to assault Ft Stanton. Hopefully it will be a further irritant for the Union.

Well good people that's about it. On the spending front I have held off given that I need that 750,000 dollars in reserve so I can pay the 2 dollar bounty for volunteers next time.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:36 pm

I knew there was something bugging me. An oversight on my part. I forgot to include details of how my current build program is going so here you are.

I have 3 Engineers under construction. 4 artillery batteries all of which (except for 1 at New Orleans) are 6lbs and intended for fort construction. Then there are 4 infantry brigades. One for the front in Virginia. One to help protect Charleston. One for Tennessee and the final one for the defence of New Orleans. As you can see already I'm syphoning a good deal of my resources to guard against seaborne attack.

On the replacement side I'm lucky that I have at least one element available for each type of key unit. As an aside, given that we are playing with historical attrition I husband my forces as best as I can. I'm unwilling, unless there is an obvious opportunity, to move them in harsh conditions. Over time I will not have enough resources to fill the gaps and every attrition loss I suffer I feel as keenly as if I had lost them in battle particularly as such losses are usually avoidable. Its also why you will rarely see me moving significant sized forces anywhere without attendant supply. Then again that's just my style of play. :love:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:18 pm

Just finished several lengthy discussions with Banks regarding continuing the AAR. Nub is that he wishes to continue the PBEM but feels unable to produce an AAR. His decision does not surprise me as turns had become somewhat slow. It is very easy to under estimate just how much time it takes to produce each update. For myself I intend to continue for as long as our game lasts. It will not be the same but after being gently cajoled (not that I really needed cajoling) into the rematch I'm loath to simply drop it whilst our game goes on.

I left it with Banks to make the necessary announcement which he informs me he has now done. However much we could wish it otherwise RL often gets in the way.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:55 am

Sorry folks but it looks like another lengthy delay. Banks sent me his late July orders yesterday. I processed the turn and something strange happened. There was no USA replay file generated. Yep there was a CSA one but not a Union one. Anyhow I posted Banks' result back to him and alerted him to the curious problem. I received an e-mail back later in the day saying that none of his Union orders had not been actioned. I rechecked our game/ai settings and all seems in order. Obviously we must replay the turn but as I sent him (in good faith) the end of July results then even if his own orders were not actioned he saw where my stacks moved to. Consequently I am issuing a complete new set of orders for he Confederacy.

I have no idea how this is all going to play out particularly as my opponent said that he needed me to submit a copy the early July host file to him and that he would have to redo his orders. Tis most strange. What with all the delays, hiccups, problems and changes we have experienced since getting this rematch underway I must confess that I'm now beginning to lose heart. As luck has it I'm away for the next 10 days so perhaps that will aid in recharging the batteries.......... assuming we can get to the bottom of the gremlin.

Return to “CW2 AARs”