Carnium

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Franciscus wrote:The battle flag (Southern cross) gets my unconditional approval... :coeurs:

Lovely, and immediately recognizable to everyone

+1 :thumbsup: :coeurs:
A flag that everyone recognises. Really EVERYONE... a poster for a Serbian movie and also a scene from it:
[ATTACH]24486[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]24487[/ATTACH]
Attachments
634608424616537927_5a.jpg
Lepaselalepogore.jpg

Pocus

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:18 am

such rebels. They are frightening. But in the 'frightening losers' way ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

bugwar
Sergeant

Legacy

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Pocus wrote:such rebels. They are frightening. But in the 'frightening losers' way ;)

Man, you lose just one war, and they never let you forget it. :bonk:

Njordr
Sergeant

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:08 am

Ebbingford wrote:Turn 4.

Thomas will stay put for now inside the town. I don't think I have enough quality troops in my two divisions there to win a stand up fight with the rebels. I will wait for Grant to arrive in a couple of turns time and if the rebels attack me in my entrenchments before then my troops are ready for them.

In AACW there was a popular principle: it's better to defend a strategic position (like Nashville in this AAR) placing your troops outside the town, because entrenching them inside would lead to a siege and a secure defeat caused by starvation. The garrison could even surrender if the besieging force is large enough compared to it.
Now, I imagine Nashville has a well supplied depot and Thomas' corp is sizable. Nonetheless, sooner or later it will fall if the relieving force would retard.

1. What are the reasons for such a decision?
  2. Does Nashville continue to be supplied, even if besieged, because its access to Cumberland river isn't blocked by an enemy fleet?
  3. In case of a CSA Army assault, could Thomas retreat towards Clarksville?

Ebbingford

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Thomas' Corps was quite large, power of about 1600, about the same as the CSA army that went to besiege it. I didn't know how strong the attacking force was going to be so thought it more prudent to be inside with a good level of entrenchment. I kind of hoped I was attacked, but the AI was smart enough not to. I also had supply wagons which are meant to lower or remove the chance that a unit surrenders when besieged. The harbour in Nashville continues to give supply because of a lack of enemy fleet blockading it. All things considered I probably would have been OK outside the city, but I didn't want to run the risk of losing it on the last turn or so and then not being able to take it back in time. I thought inside was best....
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Njordr
Sergeant

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:47 pm

Ok, but what about my third question? ;)

Ebbingford

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:23 pm

I didn't even consider him retreating :cool:

I'm not sure how the engine handles retreats when inside a structure, I think Pocus needs to answer that. If allowed to retreat they could have retreated to the region to the west though, Humphreys I think it is. If you look at the screen shot in my post #10 it shows the regions in red that the force could not retreat to, Humphreys is open though.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Njordr
Sergeant

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:04 am

You're right, I did notice that screenshot. But if I am forced to retreat, I'd put the river between me and the enemy, provided I can cross it.

Pocus

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:37 pm

a force in a structure can't retreat.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “CW2 AARs”