Artemis
Conscript

BLOCKADING NEW ORLEANS

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:34 am

I've found no way for the Union to blockade New Orleans.

A bug?

Oversight?

If you have found a way, tell me.

Please.
Last edited by Artemis on Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xeja1
Corporal

Re: NEW ORLEANS

Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:57 pm

A blockade of the city directly with a fleet has always worked for me and my opponents. Capturing the forts east and south of city does not blockade the port for you, although doing so can be a great way to rank up Hooker, and provide a strong base for your blockade fleet.

Artemis
Conscript

Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:09 pm

Xeja1 wrote:A blockade of the city directly with a fleet has always worked for me and my opponents. Capturing the forts east and south of city does not blockade the port for you, although doing so can be a great way to rank up Hooker, and provide a strong base for your blockade fleet.

I've been doing testing.

I have found no way to blockade New Orleans with ships.

I think the problem is Lake Pontchartrain gets listed as a New Orleans harbor exit point. But ships cannot get into Lake Pontchartrain.

To blockade New Orleans, you must capture Fort Saint Philip or Fort Jackson. These forts must have artillery in them, not in passive mode.

This will blockade New Orleans and cut its money and war supply in half.

Nikel

Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:12 am

Artemis wrote:

I think the problem is Lake Pontchartrain gets listed as a New Orleans harbour exit point. But ships cannot get into Lake Pontchartrain.

Ships may enter the lake if you control Fort Pike, as it is nicely displayed in the map. You may see it in this screenshot with the CSA side.

So I guess that if you take the fort with Union forces your ships will get into the lake.

Artemis
Conscript

Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:40 pm

Nikel wrote:
Artemis wrote:

I think the problem is Lake Pontchartrain gets listed as a New Orleans harbour exit point. But ships cannot get into Lake Pontchartrain.

Ships may enter the lake if you control Fort Pike, as it is nicely displayed in the map. You may see it in this screenshot with the CSA side.

So I guess that if you take the fort with Union forces your ships will get into the lake.

Nope.

Union ships cannot enter Lake Pontchartrain if they control Fort Pike.

You must capture either Fort Saint Philip or Fort Jackson and have non passive artillery in them to blockade New Orleans.

Nikel

Re: BLOCKADING NEW ORLEANS

Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:44 pm

Oh, I see.

The passage to the lake is through New Orleans not through the strait where the fort is.

Not nicely displayed in the map, but it is showed in the pic above.

Of course if you already control NO, you do not need any blockade :bonk:

Artemis
Conscript

Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:32 am

Nikel wrote:Oh, I see.

The passage to the lake is through New Orleans not through the strait where the fort is.

Not nicely displayed in the map, but it is showed in the pic above.

Of course if you already control NO, you do not need any blockade :bonk:

Exactly.

And New Orleans should be able to be blockaded with Union warships.

I'd like to see this problem patched.

But I guess the probability of seeing another patch for this game now is zero and none.

Nikel

Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:04 am

I found a solution, I think :siffle:

Edited the region files located in this folder "Civil War II\CW2\GameData\Regions" with a text editor like Wordpad.

02545Region.rgn, is the lake

02673Region.rgn, is Koney Island

From one to the other, added adjacency line and also to each RegionList .

I cannot attach files in this subforum, so here is an external link if you want to try them (back up the original files first).

https://easyupload.io/8kl4na

deguerra
Major

Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:24 am

Nikel wrote:I found a solution, I think :siffle:

Edited the region files located in this folder "Civil War II\CW2\GameData\Regions" with a text editor like Wordpad.

I cannot attach files in this subforum, so here is an external link if you want to try them (back up the original files first).

Hey Nikel,

Out of curiosity, does it work with Fort Pike bombarding fleets as they move into the lake?

Thanks!
-deguerra

Nikel

Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:58 am

I have not tried that, just added the communication between the two coastal regions so that the Union ships could enter the lake, and that was by trial and error :mdr:

I guess it should work like the 2 forts in the mouth of the Mississippi?

Artemis
Conscript

Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:23 pm

Wow!

Great!

That looks promising.

I'll have to test it.

pgr
General of the Army

Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:10 pm

Wondering back in to the forums after a bit of a time away...
As noted, in the vanilla version of the game the only way to enter the lake is via New Orleans. So the Union would have to occupy the city first!

Now if we are going to start modifying things, we should consider that there wasn't really a passible shipping channel between the lake and the Gulf of Mexico (bear in mind LA has lost a lot of the delta to erosion in the 20-21st century) and there was not yet a canal connecting the Mississippi to the lake. So if anything, people should modify the harbor in New Orleans so that it just exits into the Mississippi...if you want to go to the trouble.

Also, as a note, not only does taking the forts give a brown water blockade of NO (reducing production by half except for conscripts, it also has a big impact on the Blue Water blockade score.

Adds to Blockade if Union Blockades Region / (Harbor name) : / Blockade %
Iberville, LA (New Orleans) : 16

Subtract from the blockade if unblockaded
Iberville, LA (New Orleans) : [color="#FF0000"]-5[/color]

Taken together, Blockading NO will improve your blockade % by 21%

Nikel

Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:34 pm

I am searching a bit and apparently the Lake was connected with the Gulf to the east:

1853 U.S. Coast Survey Map of Lake Pontchartrain

CG Hearn. The Capture of New Orleans 1862

A few miles north of the city, schooners rubbed against long docks that stretched into Lake Pontchartrain, unloading sugar,clothing, wines, fancy foods,and luxuries from the West Indies,Europe, and the North.

CR Fish. American civil war an interpretation

When talking about the Union plans to capture NO:

The expedition assembled at Ship Island, long before selected for a fortification commanding New Orleans, and plans of action became the topic of conversation and correspondence. Some thought simply to create a new port to attract the cotton of the region and ship it out; some to enter by a back way through Lake Pontchartrain. Farragut, however, seems not to have hesitated and gave orders to enter and ascend the Mississippi river.

pgr
General of the Army

Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:46 am

Nikel wrote:I am searching a bit and apparently the Lake was connected with the Gulf to the east:

1853 U.S. Coast Survey Map of Lake Pontchartrain

CG Hearn. The Capture of New Orleans 1862

A few miles north of the city, schooners rubbed against long docks that stretched into Lake Pontchartrain, unloading sugar,clothing, wines, fancy foods,and luxuries from the West Indies,Europe, and the North.

CR Fish. American civil war an interpretation

When talking about the Union plans to capture NO:

The expedition assembled at Ship Island, long before selected for a fortification commanding New Orleans, and plans of action became the topic of conversation and correspondence. Some thought simply to create a new port to attract the cotton of the region and ship it out; some to enter by a back way through Lake Pontchartrain. Farragut, however, seems not to have hesitated and gave orders to enter and ascend the Mississippi river.

Well I withdraw my objection! (I guess that's why they built Ft. Pike.

Artemis
Conscript

Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:43 am

deguerra wrote:

Hey Nikel,

Out of curiosity, does it work with Fort Pike bombarding fleets as they move into the lake?

Thanks!
-deguerra

Nikel is thee man

Thank you very much!

Yes.

New Orleans can be blockaded as it should be and Fort Pike will bombard Union ships as they pass.

It's a perfect fix.

It should be made an official hotfix.

Nikel

Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:22 am

Artemis wrote:
Thank you very much!

Yes.

New Orleans can be blockaded as it should be and Fort Pike will bombard Union ships as they pass.

It's a perfect fix.

I am glad it solved the problem, trial and error works :D

Enjoy the game.

Tharmas21
Civilian

Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:42 pm

There are actually two passes from Lake Pontchartrain into the Gulf, both of which could have allowed ships of that era to get through. New Orleans also had roads and canals going to the lake so with some effort, they could have shifted the riverfront cargo to lakefront docks. There were so many small bayous and docks scattered around that it would have been nearly impossible to block them all, especially since the local pirates had been smuggling various items in and out of the city for more than 100 years. All three forts, btw, were built to defend against the Spanish and/or British Navies. So, it makes sense that Ft. Pike blocks entrance to the lake, and the other two forts block the main entrance to the river, but together or alone, they could not blockade the entire port.. Farragut was right. the only way to really stop trade was to actually take and hold the city itself.

Granatenwerfer
Conscript

Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:45 pm

Unfortunately, the link to the files is down.
Please, can someone reupload the files for me? I would be delighted!

Nikel

Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:45 pm

A new link. Back up the original files first.

https://easyupload.io/k7lvfe

Granatenwerfer
Conscript

Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:24 pm

Nikel wrote:A new link. Back up the original files first.

https://easyupload.io/k7lvfe

Thank you very much!

psanick
Private

Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:54 pm

The link to the files is down again. Care to upload again? thanks in advance!

pgr
General of the Army

Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:54 am

Question, does any one know to modify the Harbor Exit Points for ports? It doesn't seem to be in the region file, but I'm not quite sure where else to look.

Nikel

Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:46 pm

Hobbes modded the exit points of the ports in AACW and all the files are regions, so this is the file to change.

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=5631

Though they are completely arcane to me, the 2 files I changed in this thread where done by trial and error :blink:

Return to “Civil War II”