Aerosol
Conscript

Dealing with Fortress Monroe as the CS of A

Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:44 am

Perhaps the single most strategically significant point on the continent - and I could use some help in figuring out how to take it from the yankees. I know historically that this did not prove feasible, I suppose the US Navy was already present too much in force even before Norfolk fell, but I am not knowledgeable on whether the real life Confederates gave any serious consideration to an attempt at taking it.

In the game, there have been a couple times I have tried very early to put the Norfolk guns (including the siege gun), the Suffolk militia, and any other hodge podge of infantry I could scrabble together while fitting under the paltry transport capacity limit and shuttling them across to the fort but it has never ended in success. Reinforcements always swoop down the bay and annhilate the besiegers. Later in the game, the fortress has always appeared too well defended to attempt and obviously after late 1861 or so there's just too much else going on to spare the resources.

So.. does anyone have any useful insight or a tactical approach that provides a reasonable chance of success here?

Xeja1
Corporal

Re: Dealing with Fortress Monroe as the CS of A

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:21 pm

Monroe is not really feasible to take as the CSA, and its not of great importance either. Even if you surprise attack it, and actually manage to capture the fort, you will be blockaded in permanently by the Union navy.

The fort just doesn't do much for either the Union or CSA. Taking the fort will not blockade any Union cities, it wont stop Union ships from moving through the bay to Maryland, and it wont un-blockade Richmond. Taking the fort wont even stop a peninsula campaign, as its trivially easy just to build more depots in the ports west of Monroe as the Union. All the CSA gets is 1 VP a turn and some bragging rights, while they lose a stack for the rest of the game blockaded in the fort, and eventually that stack will become target practice for leveling up Union generals.

Glitch
Private

Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:58 am

I disagree with Xeja, in part.

Fort Monroe is worth taking as the CSA if you can wing it. It unlocks significant production for Richmond, as Richmond will no longer be blockaded.

Just don't expect to get whatever you put in the fort out, as the Union Navy will likely block your escape off.

Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:58 am

Glitch wrote:I disagree with Xeja, in part.

Fort Monroe is worth taking as the CSA if you can wing it. It unlocks significant production for Richmond

How significant is that production? What are the numbers?

Xeja1
Corporal

Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:42 pm

Glitch wrote:I disagree with Xeja, in part.

Fort Monroe is worth taking as the CSA if you can wing it. It unlocks significant production for Richmond, as Richmond will no longer be blockaded.

Just don't expect to get whatever you put in the fort out, as the Union Navy will likely block your escape off.

No, Richmond can still be blockaded easily with ships. Taking Monroe just make Richmond slightly more annoying to blockade.

Return to “Civil War II”