JBEtexas
Private

Must Do - Economy

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:39 pm

I understand that there are many options and opinions regarding how to manage the economy of either the USA or CSA, yet is there are core set of must do actions for both sides? I assume these actions need to be done before Spring of 1862 in order to pay for themselves before it’s to late?

I am specifically asking about:
Iron Works, Armories, Arsenals, Powder Mills?
Specific ship types and quantity in the Shipping Lanes?
Am I missing something?

USA
I believe that the USA can take no economic actions and still have all the resources they to need; yet are there certain actions that should always been done?

CSA
I have read the CSA should build an Arsenal and Iron Works as soon as possible and a Powder Mill later in the game; yet aren’t most of the build options in forward cities that have a high chance of capture before they pay for themselves? Is building them worth the investment if they are all at risk of capture, should you just assume that half will be captured before the end of 1863 and it is still worth it?

Thank you for your advice!

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Must Do - Economy

Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:28 am

The USA should build every Ocean Transport ship and place them in the Shipping Lanes where they will operate as a merchant ship. I build every Iron Works.

The CSA has few good options. Building blockade runners does not pay off. They eventually get damaged and fixing them costs what they brought in. Structures run the risk of being overrun. You can also build every Ocean Transport and put them in the shipping lanes box...along with a big slice of cheese. :)
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:12 am

How much supply would transports, etc, bring in for the CSA per turn though? Is it worth the investment?

Xeja1
Corporal

Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:23 pm

I would not follow the advice of the first poster. As the USA you should build every non iron work non powder mill which becomes available in 61. Iron works are pretty much never worth it, for the North or South.

Forget building transports for the box as the Union, it's a waste of resources you need to ramp up. Put your raiders in the box instead for extra income, and spend the money on premium for volunteers and spamming out infantry.

The South should build industry everywhere they want to defend. Virginia and the Carolinas are good choices, as are Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas and Georgia; New Orleans can be good if you really commit to defending it by September of 61. Their is also one which gives you armories in eastern Tennessee which is worthwhile. I would ignore anything with Memphis in the name.

Start with arsenals as the South for extra WS and work your way down. Most of the powder mill decisions are not worth it, but some are; do the math to determine payback time.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:37 pm

IWs pay for themselves. You get an event where the Union sells excess war supply for 50 cash. The more IWs you have, the more often the event triggers. Ocean Transports also pay for themselves in the Shipping Lanes box. You get cash or war supply per turn from each one depending on what the Union needs.

Blood and Thunder, the CSA Transports do bring in supply, but their use in the Shipping Lanes box is considered an exploit.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Xeja1
Corporal

Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:46 pm

I dont have any problem maintaining the 50 WS for 50 Money event every turn without paying for an Iron works. I believe all you need is more than 400 WS at the beginning of the turn (so after WS production is added to the pool) in order to trigger the event. You could have 400 or 4 million WS, the event only triggers once per turn and only trades 50 WS for 50 Money.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:14 pm

I usually build Iron Works for the South for the cheapest option possible. That's for the early game buildup. Then switch to anything that gets me money. Mid to laze game bottleneck is mostly recruits anyways.

metabagel
Conscript

Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:32 am

Gray Fox wrote:Blood and Thunder, the CSA Transports do bring in supply, but their use in the Shipping Lanes box is considered an exploit.

Is there a list somewhere of what is considered to be exploits? I saw that Xeja1 mentioned in a post asking for an opponent:

"No using the Corps commander glitch to make improved division commanders."

Xeja1
Corporal

Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:07 pm

metabagel wrote:
Gray Fox wrote:Blood and Thunder, the CSA Transports do bring in supply, but their use in the Shipping Lanes box is considered an exploit.

Is there a list somewhere of what is considered to be exploits? I saw that Xeja1 mentioned in a post asking for an opponent:

"No using the Corps commander glitch to make improved division commanders."

It depends what you consider to be an exploit. The Corps commander glitch is more or less obviously an exploit, but there are other less obvious ones.

For instance, lets say a Union stack is defending a region with a city, and that city has the default garrison inside, (one militia). The Union stack is outside the city and defending in the region, while the default garrison is inside the city. A CSA stack comes into the region to fight, but the CSA player has the stack in assault posture instead of normal attack posture. It happens many times that the attacking stack, which is in assault posture, will engage the city garrison and destroy it, never engaging the main defending stack at all. The battle will often turn the region's MC from 100% Union (in this case) to 100% CSA, knocking the defending stack out of the region. This assault the garrison tactic is rather unfair, and for the most part unrealistic.

The assault the garrison tactic is made even more unfair if the defending stack is in a region with a city which has a depot, and no default garrison. The attacking stack in red posture will assault the city, and the depot will spawn a garrison to fight the assaulting force. In this instance the defending player has absolutely no way to counter the assault the garrison tactic, outside of destroying the depot, which isn't always possible.

CW2 is filled with small edge case exploits like this, and most, like the aforementioned assault tactic, are almost impossible to house rule out of the game. As a player you just have to learn these micro exploits, and do your best to take them into account.

metabagel
Conscript

Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:54 pm

Interesting. Thanks!

metabagel
Conscript

Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:04 pm

I looked around the forum, and I couldn't find a description of the corps commander glitch. Could you elaborate on that a bit, please?

Xeja1
Corporal

Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:37 pm

metabagel wrote:I looked around the forum, and I couldn't find a description of the corps commander glitch. Could you elaborate on that a bit, please?

Take a good army commander like Lee or Grant, and make a 2 or 3 star general a corps commander under them. After a turn that Corps commanders stats will increase to the average between the Corps commander's base stats and the Army commander's stats (this is normal). After the general's stats increase, cancel their Corps commander status, and on that same turn make them a division commander. The former Corps commander's stats will stay permanently increased, giving you whole armies worth of supercharged division commanders.

metabagel
Conscript

Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:00 pm

I see. Thanks for the information. That's a pretty bad cheat/loophole.

Return to “Civil War II”