Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Merry Christmas!

Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:03 am

I hope all of you are safe and well out there in this mad, mad world. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :)

clandini5
Corporal

Re: Merry Christmas!

Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:02 am

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone!

Taillebois
General of the Army

Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:55 pm

Yes best wishes to all.

I had a quick few turns of the Sibley/New Mexico scenario - why? - because he is mentioned in the spaghetti western movie "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly." - which was on telly the other day.

Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:29 pm

Taillebois wrote:Yes best wishes to all.

I had a quick few turns of the Sibley/New Mexico scenario - why? - because he is mentioned in the spaghetti western movie "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly." - which was on telly the other day.

I want to buy a Sibley Tent for similar reasons :D

Pocus

Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:44 am

My dear fellow players, I wish you too a Merry Christmas!! :party: :leprechau

Hopefully, more news from AGEOD in the next year, with our new game in the making :coeurs: :hat:

And without further ado, what are you playing these days? For me that's Anno 1800, the Victorian flavor and beautiful buildings of your supply chains are really cool to immerse into.

Nikel

Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:38 pm

Merry Christmas Pocus, and Happy New Year.

Just a question for modding, is there some hidden console command to highlight the full map of your games? :innocent:

Pocus

Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:44 pm

you mean not having the FOW? I don't remember honestly, but you can play without it quite simply by going to Options.

Nikel

Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:11 pm

I hate you when you say that you have forgotten your own engine! :wacko:

But in fact you solved my problem, now everything is highlighted, even Ireland (in ECW). Always run your games with fog of war, is there any other way to play a wargame? So I did not know that. :hat:

Hobbes

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:16 pm

All the best folks. I'm a bit late so I will wish you all a Happy New Year! Durk and I have started playing the tactical Field of Glory game after he beat me at AGEOD's ECW. I keep buying games and not playing them after reading the rules for weeks. I still intend to play them all. I feel that I get my moneys worth just by reading the instructions and watching YouTube documentaries and reading books about a new conflict. If I ever finally play a game it is a bonus. Most games I never play and others I can play for years. It's an age thing I assume?

Cheers,
Chris

Nikel

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:59 pm

Hobbes wrote:All the best folks. I'm a bit late so I will wish you all a Happy New Year! Durk and I have started playing the tactical Field of Glory game after he beat me at AGEOD's ECW. I keep buying games and not playing them after reading the rules for weeks. I still intend to play them all. I feel that I get my moneys worth just by reading the instructions and watching YouTube documentaries and reading books about a new conflict. If I ever finally play a game it is a bonus. Most games I never play and others I can play for years. It's an age thing I assume?

Cheers,
Chris

The English Civil War game? Did you noticed any relevant bug?

How the conflict in Ireland is represented? And the naval part?

The "secondary effect" of Ageod games (and other wargames), of needing to know more about this conflict, is also very important for me, more than playing them :wacko:

Durk

Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:55 am

The English Civil War needs some work to be more than a flawed gem. It is a nice game, but Ireland is not represented well, which is a personal concern as Cromwell kicked my family all the way to the New World.
The naval war, as it impacted the English Civil War is well represent with regard to continental issues and minor blockades.
Yes, some bugs. Very fixable if this is ever on anyone's agenda, including a talented armature modder.

Nikel

Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:59 pm

Unfortunately there are more games than modders :siffle:

Cromwell's himself invasion and rampage started in 1649, so beyond the first civil war scenario depicted in the game, but in fact the events in Ireland started before.

I am going to start a new thread in ECW forum, just in case you want to comment the bugs you know or whatever, this is a Merry Christmas thread :innocent:

Straight Arrow
General

Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 am

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year indeed!

deguerra
Major

Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:04 am

Hobbes wrote:All the best folks. I'm a bit late so I will wish you all a Happy New Year! Durk and I have started playing the tactical Field of Glory game after he beat me at AGEOD's ECW. I keep buying games and not playing them after reading the rules for weeks. I still intend to play them all. I feel that I get my moneys worth just by reading the instructions and watching YouTube documentaries and reading books about a new conflict. If I ever finally play a game it is a bonus. Most games I never play and others I can play for years. It's an age thing I assume?

Cheers,
Chris

This has definitely been my experience with AGEOD games over the years, and it's in no way a complaint :D

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year everyone!

-deguerra

Durk

Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:15 am

I have finally found the discipline or is that call budgetary responsibility to keep my purchase of games to my time to play, almost.
I am so glad that pbem finally became an option for how to play. While I still do board wargames, my friends are now almost all online with pbem play. The diminished platform AGEOD offers is sad, but I am also glad so many members keep in touch.
So, a Happy New Year of gaming, and as per Nikel, some fixing up of some gems in need of touchups.

AACW3Plz
Corporal

Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:49 pm

A belated Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to all of you

Pocus

Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:36 am

Happy New Year to everyone!

@Nikel: Yes, as years passes, I keep forgetting the details of the AGE engine rules and code. But the Empires engine is now doing probably 75% of what AGE did, only faster and in a more streamlined way. Coding is always a learning experience and looking back at your own work, you'll often find it clumsy.
Of the 25% that remains, a good part of it, I don't want to redo it. It involves too detailed or obscure features...

In any case, general news, Slitherine want the Empires series to expand and build upon the work that has already been done, so that's great for the future.

Nikel

Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:54 am

Pocus, I wish you the best for 2022 and with the new engine.

But I miss the old :wacko:

Or perhaps not the engine in itself, but the 2D view, wargame-boardgame style, it represented.

The majority prefers 3D, but I am not a fan of 3D monsters in a map.

PhilThib continues the old style with his new engine, but not sure I like how it works.

So I am an orphan :pleure:

Pocus

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:51 pm

Well, it is the way it is done these days, years. Most people want some 3D and the game you do is the only game you'll ever do if you go against the current... I trust Slitherine on this kind of choices as it allows me to continue making flavorful games while not wondering if I'll be able to pay my bills next year. That's important, for the 'serenity of mind' and thus for productivity. I don't think I have sacrificed too much with Empires in term of originality and historicity what's more. It is indeed less grognard, but it has other appeals and will be expanded.

There are still some large PBEM going on for PON, so you are not quite an orphan I think!

Return to “Civil War II”