Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Animated Battle Maps

Fri May 22, 2020 6:24 am

I'm wondering how many of you have seen these animated battle maps featured in the YouTube videos of the American Battlefield trust? Could they somehow be incorporated into a game like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlJUuNny9mc&t=1198s

If you haven't seem them then take a gander.

Hyroda
Sergeant

Re: Animated Battle Maps

Wed May 27, 2020 4:30 pm

thats historical stuff, nothing you should be worried about.

Brigadier General

Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 am

Yeah? And why is that?

Hyroda
Sergeant

Thu May 28, 2020 4:55 pm

to show and demonstrate, how a battle looks like.
thats a perspectiv to give you a feeling how organizations behave, act and operate during combat.

"higher ranked officers are skilled,in: (tacticts, comunications between organizations,...and so on)
and they hadn't the ability to look from above or the ability to use a radio for example......"

Brigadier General

Thu May 28, 2020 10:57 pm

I should have specified at the beginning of this post that I meant using these animated battle maps to watch the battle unfold rather than the meter. Not that I have any real issue with the meter, but it is a little bland.

Hyroda
Sergeant

Fri May 29, 2020 1:00 am

im realy not sure, what exactly you mean. maybe you could explane it more detailed.

Brigadier General

Fri May 29, 2020 2:30 am

Hyroda wrote:im realy not sure, what exactly you mean. maybe you could explane it more detailed.

Well, when two forces meet to battle it'd cut to an animated battle map (something similar to what is featured in the YouTube video I shared) rather just watching a rather bland and featureless battle meter. I was wondering whether such a thing could be used in a game like this, even if it had no other purpose than aesthetics.

You follow me now? :)

grimjaw
General

Fri May 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Troubles with my connection this morning prevent me from looking at the video in detail, but what I did see looked like what I've seen on maps like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... n_Map3.jpg

For something that detailed, a layer would have to be added to the game that isn't currently there, a tactical level. That would mean maps drawn for every region in the game, which number in the thousands. But even if you put it in a very simple form where you had only the type of terrain and the forces represented in a more detailed way than presently, it still represents major code changes and content creation (i.e. money or developer saints). I can't even generate interest, at least on this forum, in changes addressing common complaints that I'm developing and offering for free ...

Brigadier General

Fri May 29, 2020 4:18 pm

grimjaw wrote:Troubles with my connection this morning prevent me from looking at the video in detail, but what I did see looked like what I've seen on maps like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... n_Map3.jpg

For something that detailed, a layer would have to be added to the game that isn't currently there, a tactical level. That would mean maps drawn for every region in the game, which number in the thousands. But even if you put it in a very simple form where you had only the type of terrain and the forces represented in a more detailed way than presently, it still represents major code changes and content creation (i.e. money or developer saints). I can't even generate interest, at least on this forum, in changes addressing common complaints that I'm developing and offering for free ...

I for one have for sometime now been a believer in your genius ;)

Don't give up, mate :)

Brigadier General

Fri May 29, 2020 4:26 pm

As for the animated battle maps, I was thinking more along the lines of a generic, one size fits all, kinda thing. A purely aesthetic addition to give the game a bit more spit & polish :)

Hyroda
Sergeant

Fri May 29, 2020 4:56 pm

if there shoulld be something to enhance the Combat on CW2(3) wich i will apreciate, there should be something like...

for example:
(before combat, to have a deaper feeling, the abilitys to interact in battle) even if this could be a animated battle-map, or only a display wich shows you the ongoing battle were your decision did have importent effects in gameplay.

would be a complete new CW-game.

Return to “Civil War II”