H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Quick question on something I thought I read once...

Sun May 03, 2020 3:22 am

Let's say you have an army stack and 3 corps and they are all on synchronize movement to a region. A battle takes place. I'm pretty sure I read that the corps engage first and then the army stack waits for later rounds before actually engaging and taking the field?

Is this a true statement?

grimjaw
General

Re: Quick question on something I thought I read once...

Mon May 04, 2020 3:15 am

I don't know how it's coded. I believe I have read and think I have witnessed in my own games the following. If there is an army stack in the same region as subordinate corps, the army stack will not *lead* an attack, but might join in; or if in an adjacent region, it might MTSG.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 04, 2020 3:36 am

Right, similar to what I thought I had read here a long time ago.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 04, 2020 5:11 pm

Here you go, gentlemen:

https://www.leqg.org/doc/age/www.ageod. ... _of_stacks

"Army HQs will never attack by themselves and always fight in support of another stack, if any is present."
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Sat May 09, 2020 9:16 am

I can confirm. One time I had an Army stack and a second small stack that had been holding the region that I forgot to sweep up. An enemy Corps attacked and on the first round (the one that has all the long range fire) the Army didn't participate and the smaller stack was almost wiped. On the second round, the Army and an adjacent Corps MTSGd and fought the rest of the battle. I checked the log, and the Army did not benefit from their entrenchments, the same as if they had MTSGd from a different region. I lost pretty bad, needless to say.

Moral: if you plan on using Army stacks to fight, never have a second stack in their region.

But, if it is all by its lonesome it can definitely attack like any other stack, although the manual makes it sound otherwise.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 09, 2020 10:42 pm

Great to hear from you, ACG! I've been playing Field of Glory: Empires, lately. I found a video someone did recently for CW2. He took all of the stuff we came up with for the game and barely mentioned the original source. I posted a link in his comments' section to this site.

Be safe!

Arch

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 11, 2020 11:21 pm

Fox, are you talking about AoE Bro? Bummer about the credit, for the most part I have liked what he has put out, although I haven't watched them all. I made a stab at a doing some videos a year or two ago, but it took a lot of time and I never really liked what I came up with. I guess Gilmer posted some stuff to youtube? I will see if I can't track those down too. Gilmer and I are following History Guy Gaming, he is besieging Richmond in a current playthrough, and needless to say I am spamming the comments with mediocre advice :-).

-ACG

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 12, 2020 1:29 am

Yep, AoE Bro. He mentioned the forum once. I've been watching History Guy, too. He knows a lot about the history, not so much about playing CW2. Still, he does seem to be down with the Richmond first strategy.

AlessandroD
Private

Tue May 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Thanks for the YouTubers :)

I am watching AoE Bros because is playing against a human opponent.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Wed May 13, 2020 4:58 am

AoE Bros. doesn't suck and neither does whoever he is playing against. They have clearly been reading the forums, you can tell just by their stack composition. And his tutorials are a damn sight better than the manuals.

AlessandroD
Private

Wed May 13, 2020 1:19 pm

I just finished to watch his active game, nice videos.
I will watch the tutorials then, thanks.

I also am intrigued about Ultimate General...

grimjaw
General

Sat May 16, 2020 11:08 am

I have Ultimate General Civil War. I enjoyed it quite a bit, even more when I installed a mod for it. Unfortunately with the mod it kept getting to a point where I'd have to completely reinstall the game.

For those who aren't familiar with it, Ultimate General CW plresents the battles at a tactical level, and drills down to details like the types of small arms used by remember. The smallest unit you manage is the brigade, largest is army, to include division and corps organization. It covers several of the major battles of the conflict but doesn't deal with much of anything outside of those. Historical personalities are paid some lip service but not much more. It is real time with.an attempt at accurate maps, not turn based with hex maps. As far as I know it is single player only, been awhile since I played it, can't temember. It's much more of a Company of heroes style of game.

AlessandroD
Private

Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks for your review, if it is only single player is a no go for me, after the first games the challenge is almost gone.

lightbrave
Captain

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:15 am

Yeah I watched the AOE bros and he is good. They guy he is playing must be far better though if he won as South in 1864

Return to “Civil War II”