Kriegsspieler

Problems with a PBEM Game

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:42 pm

I love this game, but I have to say that I seem to be a magnet for strange experiences with it. I posted in another thread that I have never seen a report of a successful Habeas Corpus decision -- still haven't, by the way -- and now I have another mysterious problem.

I recently tried starting a PBEM game with a gaming friend and we did single hosting according to the clear description offered by Captain Orso in the stickied thread. First I tried hosting, but we soon discovered that the game wasn't accepting the orders contained in the other player's ORD file. Then we reversed roles with him hosting, and now it was my orders that weren't being read and executed.

Any thoughts about this? And before you ask, yes, we did quit the game before loading the non-hosting player's ORD file.

I feel like I'm in a Hitchcock movie . . . :bonk:

Durk

Re: Problems with a PBEM Game

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:14 am

Kriegsspieler and friend,

Please read this post below Orso's explanation for my, Durk'ss explanation for shared hosting, this is a more sensible way to play PBEM.

viewtopic.php?f=331&t=50768&p=397977&hilit=shared+hosting#p397977

I do think most issues such as the one you are facing comes from a confusion of where the game files are held. That is, in which folder.
So the most important thing is to find where that file is housed. For most players it is in the 'my document/games' folder, but not for all.
This might work. Create your game. Give the game a unique name, like our pbem game. Next create a game folder shortcut on the desktop. Then open the short and make sure your new game is there. If so, proceed and have your opponent do the same thing.
If you do not see your game, then search for the unique game and find where this game is actually stored. Then make a new shortcut to your game.

You will get there, an by the way, Habeas Corpus decision works for me in Baltimore to suppress the Rebs.

Kriegsspieler

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:29 am

Thank you for the suggestion. It had not occurred to me that the problem might be because my friend and I are using incompatible file structures. But I do not think that's the issue

For my part, I have no doubt that the game is being stored in \documents\My Games\etc. The custom name I give to the PBEM game -- and yes, I do this by using the game's editor -- and the time stamp on the file make that a certainty.

Durk

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:37 am

Occasionally, the game file become corrupt if not sent via zip or rar. If you carefully look at the syntax, you might discover a ~ has become a -. Or other such corruptions. So make sure to zip files.

Kriegsspieler

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:43 am

Hmm . . . that's a possibility. Worth a try.

Here's hoping that Civil War III has a less cumbersome PBEM system!

Durk

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:45 am

Actually the pbem system is pretty easy. We just need to find why it is not working for you.

Kriegsspieler

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:04 am

Well, "cumbersome" was the wrong word. But this is miles behind what other games use. You shouldn't have to manually transfer files anymore.

Durk

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:06 am

You might know, transferring files file email is vey nice for chatting. I love my chats with fellow gamers as we, in ancient protocols, have fun.

Kriegsspieler

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:43 am

Oh, for sure. I played War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition for a number of years with a variety of people back in the day. That game took so long to play through that children could be born and graduate from high school before finishing! There was a lot of life to experience in games like that.

philiproux06
Civilian

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:46 pm

Durk wrote:Kriegsspieler and friend,

Please read this post below Orso's explanation for my, Durk'ss explanation for shared hosting, this is a more sensible way to play PBEM.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ng#p397977

I do think most issues such as the one you are facing comes from a confusion of where the game files are held. That is, in which folder.
So the most important thing is to find where that file is housed. For most players it is in the 'my document/games' folder, but not for all.
This might work. Create your game agence SEO Paris. Give the game a unique name, like our pbem game. Next create a game folder shortcut on the desktop. Then open the short and make sure your new game is there. If so, proceed and have your opponent do the same thing.
If you do not see your game, then search for the unique game and find where this game is actually stored. Then make a new shortcut to your game.

You will get there, an by the way, Habeas Corpus decision works for me in Baltimore to suppress the Rebs.

It would be really nice if everyone could give their little tips for creating a game.

Durk

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:10 am

Welcome to the forum.
There are several tips about game formation in the many threads in this forum.
What is it you seek?

Return to “Civil War II”