Phillly
Civilian

Landing seperate corps

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:21 am

Hi guys! Been playing for a few months now but I don't understand something. Actually there is a lot I don't understand but I have a particular question. Im trying to land 3 different corps at New Orleans but when I put them all on the transports and land them they end up being just one stack which severely penalizes me. How can I land 3 corps from the same naval stack and they stay as 3 corps when they land. Thanks friends!

delcastel
Lieutenant

Re: Landing seperate corps

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:26 pm

il faut une armée a proximité pour reformer les corps .

Durk

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:02 am

As delcastel says, is there an army with the group to reform?
There really is no way to land them from the same fleet; however, what you can do is break down your transports into three fleets and then land each corps separately.

And Welcome to the forum.

lightbrave
Captain

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:22 am

Iv tried doing that before. The Corps "structure" is gone as soon as you board a ship. Splitting up ships wouldn't work.

DrPostman

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:34 pm

lightbrave wrote:Iv tried doing that before. The Corps "structure" is gone as soon as you board a ship. Splitting up ships wouldn't work.

I believe it was designed that way since a corps can't stay intact on multiple ships
and needs time to re-assemble after they land. Also, I don't recall when an entire
corps was ever sent to conduct an amphibious assault.

Rod Smart
Colonel

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:02 pm

DrPostman wrote: Also, I don't recall when an entire

It happened. First one I wikipedia'd was the first battle of Fort Fisher - a corp of the Army of the James versus a division of the Army of Northern Virginia.

To the original post, land them on a turn, and then reform the army and attack on the second turn. I've never assaulted New Orleans with that many troops at once, but try landing one corp on Fort Jackson, the other on Fort St Phillip, and then the following turn (while sieging), recreate the army. Or run the blockade, take Baton Rouge, and then march south the following turn with the multiple corps.

pgr
General of the Army

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:57 am

If you use the riverine pool insted of transports, the corps structure is not lost ( although in PBEM, attacking in that way can be considered poor form)

Also, if you manually land (I.E. sail your force next to its destination one turn, an then drag the Land units onto shore the next) the land stack re-appears and can be activated as a corps...provided it is in range of an army commander. Of course you loose suprise.

Also remember that armies don't disband on transports, so the simplest way to Land a big stack is as an army stack.

Durk

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:51 am

Yes, what pgr said. Manually land.

DrPostman

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:41 am

Rod Smart wrote:

It happened. First one I wikipedia'd was the first battle of Fort Fisher - a corp of the Army of the James versus a division of the Army of Northern Virginia.

But was that an actual amphibious assault? I directly referenced that. They were unloaded quite a
ways away from the fort, reformed and then marched to attack it both times they made the attempt.
The landing was unopposed because Hoke's division stayed close to Wilmington in order to defend it..

Rod Smart wrote:
DrPostman wrote:To the original post, land them on a turn, and then reform the army and attack on the second turn. I've never assaulted New Orleans with that many troops at once, but try landing one corp on Fort Jackson, the other on Fort St Phillip, and then the following turn (while sieging), recreate the army. Or run the blockade, take Baton Rouge, and then march south the following turn with the multiple corps.

Or create a fleet of brigs and send a division or two up the Atchafalaya River and directly assault
NOLA, taking it within the first few months of the war and often capturing an ironclad.

pgr
General of the Army

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:51 am

DrPostman wrote:
Rod Smart wrote:

But was that an actual amphibious assault? I directly referenced that. They were unloaded quite a
ways away from the fort, reformed and then marched to attack it both times they made the attempt.
The landing was unopposed because Hoke's division stayed close to Wilmington in order to defend it.

Well WW2 style amphibious assults didn't happen in the Civil War, because landing outside the range of the defences was always an option. There were many examples of corps level anphibious operations ( Grant in the west, Burnside in the Carolinias, and Mac with the AoP in 62), which is more at the level of the game simulation anyway.

Return to “Civil War II”