Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Re: Civil War 3 suggestion that I like so much I'm posting it again ;)

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:16 am

@AACW3Plz

Regarding traits, I'd like to see the "reckless" trait replaced by "aggressive". It seems much more fitting as I'm not sure just how many generals of that war I'd describe as outright reckless.

AACW3Plz
Corporal

Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:42 pm

Aggressive could work for the purpose of non-retreating.

In some cases I think actual recklessness might be better tied to multiple new traits

Eg: Zolicoffer not retreating to a better position despite orders and picking terrible ground to camp in and consequently being smashed by Thomas might be better labeled "incompetent". He wasnt a dispirited leader but probably a cohesion penalty is most accurate.

Sherman/Grant not entrenching or really even scouting or posting pickets prior to Shiloh, and Howard ignoring Hooker's orders might be "lackadaisical" or "slow to entrench". This might automatically give the enemy a "Surpriser" bonus and increase entrench times. As is I just nerfed Grant and Sherman at low levels.

Given the inter-army feuding that went on, especially in the Union but also in the CSA, there might be some sort of rivalry penalty when generals of similar seniority operate in the same army.

I find it difficult to model someone like DH Hill as well. He was highly competent, but developed feuds with commanders if they gave what he considered bad orders. Perhaps an insubordinate trait that starts with no problems, but with penalties that increase with battlefield losses. With Hill and Bragg, in game we just gave Bragg the penalty, but Hill was Bragg's subordinate because he was sent west for feuding with Lee. This might also apply to Beau and Johnston, who feuded with Davis. In game, unfortunately, there's little reason to send them west.

Some things I try to bandaid in game. I reduced Johnston's initiative to simulate his 1861 inactivity and am toying with making all senior generals 2 stars at start to better simulate Manassas (in game I can just camp with Beau and dont need Johnston at all to beat McDowell). But this has its limits.

Brigadier General

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:35 pm

Regarding an 'aggressive' trait, I was thinking more in terms of when on the attack or moving towards the enemy. I think an aggressively moving general might have certain advantages over a more cautious, slower moving, commander, or it could just lead to a heavy defeat. The same would apply when actually attacking, too. It could work in any number of scenarios really.

AACW3Plz
Corporal

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:15 am

Some sort of bonus to attacking early (reduced delays) but perhaps with a cohesion penalty for not waiting for all forces to be up?

Brigadier General

Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 am

:fleb:
AACW3Plz wrote:Some sort of bonus to attacking early (reduced delays) but perhaps with a cohesion penalty for not waiting for all forces to be up?

Pretty much, yes. I think there'd be a much higher chance of routing the enemy too, or a greater probability of the attacker being routed themselves.

Marmadukethe1st
Conscript

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:30 am

To me, the most important thing that needs a facelift in this game is the two week turn. Strategic coordination in two week blocks was not done and in fact could not be done especially in the Virginia theater. It feels cumbersome as the Confederacy and I feel under the gun as the Union to 'get it done'.

In the Eastern theater operations could turn on a dime as at 2nd Manassas and Gettysburg. The old SPI board game War Between the States had one week turns and it worked almost perfectly. Wars of Napoleon have one week turns and in my mind, it might have been better with two week turns given it is a ten year war as opposed to four.

What I believe to be the most workable time frame would be half week turns or three and half days for CW3. This will allow the smaller operations such as Jackson`s Valley Campaign to be simulated rather than an all or nothing commitment for an entire month when rolled out.

My thoughts -I do like the game and have played three PBEM and enjoyed them. Smaller time blocks always, and I do mean always give more realistic decision power as from the gamers perspective. One must be realistic of course as we have to live our life :)

AACW3Plz
Corporal

Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:45 pm

Wanted to bump this, as Grimjaw is working on a great mod. It's more of Civil War 2.9 than a full 3, but it's highly recommended despite being in beta.

viewtopic.php?f=340&t=53789

Brigadier General

Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:10 pm

AACW3Plz wrote:Wanted to bump this, as Grimjaw is working on a great mod. It's more of Civil War 2.9 than a full 3, but it's highly recommended despite being in beta.

viewtopic.php?f=340&t=53789

It's pretty exciting :)

Return to “Civil War II”