jcrohio
Lieutenant

Couple of questions

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Cannot get a handle on how to repair railroads. There have been times I have moved a unit from another region, checked the repair RR buttons as I set up the move, and I think moved on all in one turn. Other times the repair button is grayed out when I go to set up a units move into a region with a damaged railroad. The two requirements that I know of are war supplies and that the unit not be a support unit. Is there something I am missing?

I get messages in the Systems and various message box saying for example that I transported 2725 points overseas and my maximum capacity is 6240 points. I assume I am not getting the maximum points for the ships I have in the shipping lanes box. What would cause this?
Thanks
Jack

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Couple of questions

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:54 pm

The unit that repairs the rails must also not be militia/volunteer.

Merchants and transports in the shipping lanes box automatically move supplies from high concentrations, like NYC, to lower concentrations, like Fort Monroe. The message indicates that you have a capacity to supply more units by sea than you are currently using.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

jcrohio
Lieutenant

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:23 pm

First of thanks and sorry this is so late.

Repairing rails: makes sense about militia/volunteer. Never looked at the type of unit doing the repair. Is time a factor? In other words do you have to spend a certain number of days in region to complete the repair?

Merchants and transports: that makes complete sense. Earlier you had given me the following advice:

"I build all of the Ocean Transports and place them in the Shipping Lanes box in one stack with the Merchant ships. This quickly pays for the investment. These are guarded by 4 Steam Frigates and a sail Frigate set to Green/Green, Evade Contact under the command of one of the 3-1-1 Admirals."

Do the Ocean Transports eventually provide Money and War Supply (as the merchant fleet does) or is their only contribution moving supplies from high concentrations, like NYC, to lower concentrations, like Fort Monroe? If this is true, this would suggest that if I get messages in the Systems and Various Message box saying for example that I transported 2725 points overseas and my maximum capacity is 6240 points that I have more than enough Transports built to support whatever coastal operations I have going.

Hope this is clear. Thanks for any help.
Jack

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Yes, the unit will spend a few days repairing the rails.

Also correct. The Ocean Transports will bring in a combination of money and WS.

The sea supply is impressive, but the supply system is fickle. I had twelve Divisions in VA supplied on the coast. However, if I moved the force more than 3 regions from my coastal port, then the supplies for an army no longer showed up. So an army supplied from the sea is a whale on a beach.

jcrohio
Lieutenant

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:32 pm

Thanks Gray Fox. I really appreciate your help. I am determined to learn this game! Tried the American revolution game years ago and never got anywhere with it. Hoping learning this game will make that game make more sense. Plus want to try TEAW later.

Another question if you don't mind.

I as the Union have tried using the Habeas Corpus RGD every turn and I don't think I have ever seen it work. I have started about 6-7 games as the Union and have use it to try to increase the Loyalty of the Washington-Baltimore area. Is there something I am missing. I know it only has a 59% chance of success but never working with numerous attempts does not seem right.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:39 pm

It's actually a 50-50 chance. I just tried it 3 turns in a row without success. However, the total patrol value of units in a region can raise loyalty. The event where 10 brigades are locked in D.C. have over 100 total patrol and should slowly raise loyalty there. I also tried the build defensive works RGD, but it did not give +10% as advertised.

jcrohio
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:31 am

Again Thanks!!

In our other post you mentioned "locking units" and you mention again here. Is that the act of right clicking on a unit to make the lock icon occur? I thought this was just to prevent units from being merged. Is there something I am missing?

Jack

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:50 am

Some units have a sort of red streak on their card from a game mechanic. If you cursor over the streak you get a pop-up that the unit is locked in place permanently, for X number of turns or until attacked.

jcrohio
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 am

Ok I have seen this and now see what you are talking about.

Return to “Civil War II”