BigDuke66
General

Seniority gain without command

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Just had a big battle of McClellan vs Jackson and got away good with several generals gaining seniority, but I have some generals that gained seniority although they commanded nothing, some in the army stack some in corps stacks.
Is it supposed to work that way? I thought for a general to gain seniority he has to show performance but how can one show performance if commanding nothing?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Captain_Orso

Re: Seniority gain without command

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Could it be that they had special abilities which were used in the battle?

BigDuke66
General

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:11 pm

No.
Could they maybe be used for units not within a division?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Durk

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:13 am

In my experience, command means being in the stack, not in control of troops.

Captain_Orso

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Context is everything.

In GameLogic.opt there are parameters influencing XP gain:

'expXPGainWhenHittingH = 50 // this value of hundredth of xp when hitting an enemy'

So 50 hundredths or 50/100 = 1/2 = 0.5 -- so for every hit scored by an element, the element scoring the hit gains 0.5 XP.

'expXpGainCoeffLeaderKill = 10 // Leaders get 10% of their subordinate SU xp gain'

SU=SubUnit (less than a unit) = elements - in this context, those elements commanded by a leader)

So 'expXpGainCoeffLeaderKill' pertains to the leader directly in command of an element. A division commander is directly in command of all of the elements inside his division. If you combine a leader with a brigade, the situation would be identical, but with fewer elements under the command of the leader. But Corps Commanders also gain XP in combat, although they may have no elements directly under their command, if they only have divisions inside their Corps Stack.

IIRC I read in the forum somewhere that Corps Commanders gain 5% of the XP gained by their SU's, and Army Commanders 3%. I believe the 5% and 3% are hard-coded into the game engine, which is why there are no parameters in the GameLogic.opt file.

I have never heard of loose leaders in a stack being assigned command over loose units. I cannot 100% refute the possibility, but I've simply never heard of it.

I do have a very vivid recollection of having some of those special engineer units the Union gets later in the war (Railway Bde, Merchant's Bde, etc.) getting mauled in very hard battles when they were loose inside a Corps Stack, even if there were loose leaders in the same Corps Stack. I discovered through Trial-n-Error™ if I combined these special engineer units with a loose leader in the same Corps Stack, their survivability increased greatly. So, from my experience, if loose leaders were somehow assigned command over loose units in the same stack, I would not have discovered to combine these engineer units with a leader, to prevent them from being destroyed.

I've also never heard that loose leaders in a stack providing an ability (Cav Leader, Artilerist, etc.) are considered to command elements of the type they modify, but it would be logical to some degree, but I have no actual knowledge of it.

pgr
General of the Army

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm

A screen shot or battle log would be nice....

My understanding and play experience are that leader seniority gains works the same way experience points are gained, division commanders and stack commanders get credit for hits and kills the elements under their command make (and loose for elements lost). So "loose commanders" shouldn't be getting benefit. Of course seniority is kind of a black hole in players understanding.

I'm still miffed that no one gets a seniority bump when the enemy surrenders in a siege. (Always assault :dada: ! )

Return to “Civil War II”