BigDuke66
General

How to Brown Water Blockade certain important CSA ports

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Just need help how to block certain ports as afaik other factors than only the own ship elements play a role.
Lets say I want to BWB Wilmington, Savannah & Charleston, how do I do that without taking the forts?
All of them have the harbor exit on the river and not the coast, so would I have to make a run past the forts to reach those river regions?
Would a distant blockade work by blocking for example Savannah with the Savannah Estuary instead of the Savannah Mouth?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Captain_Orso

Re: How to Brown Water Blockade certain important CSA ports

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:54 pm

You blockade the exit points in the rivers. Of course, that means passing the forts TWICE, once on the way in and once on the way out, which is really sucky for your blockade ships.

Distant Blockade refers to controlling the forts in front of the cites. I'm not sure if controlling the forts is equivalent to having a successful Brown Water Blockade, or only assist, but probably the former.

IIRC there was some planning and testing of actually blockading from outside the forts, but I can't find any reference to that having actually having been implemented, and I wouldn't know how I would recognize if it were there, so I don't think it is.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Enemy forts (or entrenched artillery) may negate the blockade fleet entirely.

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/index.php? ... ction=edit

E.g., this is what happens to any blockade force in Hampton Roads when the guns in Norfolk get entrenched.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

BigDuke66
General

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Interesting, but does adjacent mean a link into the region that I use for blocking or into the region that the harbor is in?
Take Beaufort in Carteret for example, the blocking region is Boguet Inlet but Fort Macon has no link into it but to the region of Carteret where the harbor is in. Would Fort Macon now raise the amount of elements needed to block Beauforts harbor?

BTW the colored link lines showing up when pushing shift mean what?
BTW why is the wiki mostly empty?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:41 pm

I don't have the game with me at work, so I can't explain any specific situation.

The "shift lines" explain whether a unit in the region where the cursor is must cross water (blue lines) or land (brown lines) to enter the next region. IIRC, dark blue is a waterway impassable to land units and light blue is a river.

I believe the wiki may have been hacked. You can still go to the "view source" tab for the links.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

BigDuke66
General

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:55 pm

I've checked the GameLogic.opt of CW2 and so far I think the amount of blocking elements that are shown in the tooltip already incorporates any bonus/malus from forts. And these do not stack there is only a single -4/+4 applied no matter how many forts are there.

But the same effect as a fort can come from entrenched artillery?
I see values for a minimum entrenchment level(bmbMinEntrenchLevel) and a minimum range(bmbRange) and I guess these have to be fulfilled from the entrenched artillery but how many artillery elements are needed for this? Just one like in forts?

pgr
General of the Army

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Normally the tool tip over the port in question tells you where need to park the blockading fleet.

12 combat ships will blockade anything. The trick is the forts. Blockade flotillas and wooden ships get beat up. However ironclad frigiates and monitors tend to chew up the fort guns while recieving little damage. So i try to have an ironclad fleet run the forts a few times to kill the guns, then the blockade force can safely move in.

All that said, it still is a lot of micro. Fleets need to be rotated for supply, coheasion, and repair (thanks sea mines) . in comparaison, you take the forts that blockade and the thing stays blockaded.

Captain_Orso

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Gray Fox wrote:Enemy forts (or entrenched artillery) may negate the blockade fleet entirely.

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/index.php? ... ction=edit

E.g., this is what happens to any blockade force in Hampton Roads when the guns in Norfolk get entrenched.

No, forts and/or artillery which can bombard are not cumulative. If you have just 1, or any number of forts and/or artillery units which can bombard into an exit point, you still only have the number of naval combat elements necessary to Brown Water Blockade reduced by 4, and no more than 4.

Return to “Civil War II”