lightbrave
Captain

Cavalry Screen Card

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:45 am

Can somebody please explain to me (in detail) how this is used properly? Please give a detailed example if you can.

Durk

Re: Cavalry Screen Card

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:08 am

I am far from an expert on the use of cards as I typically use only a few; however, I do experiment with all at some point. Cavalry Screen is useful in the attack if you wish to add surprise (see the surprise ability from leaders with such) to your attack. It is only useful in the attack to gain this benefit.
To understand how this works you need to understand what a hide value of 2 an 1 means. If this is fuzzy, mention this in your reply.
If you have an opponent who likes to use cards and you are on the defense and wish to maximize you defense, then you should use the Deep Recon card in regions where your opponent is likely to play this card.

By how it is used properly do you mean in what region do you invoke this card or do you mean something else?

DrPostman

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:50 am

I'm glad someone jumped in and explained it because even though I was one of the many Beta
testers we have here I never understood it.
:hat:

lightbrave
Captain

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Yes, please educate me about hide value.

Also, 4 questions

1. Say my opponent has a force in the region above me and i want to attack. I see i have the option of using Cavalry Screen in my region or the region my opponent is in. To get this "surprise benefit" do i put it in my region so they don't see me moving out of it or do i put it in their region so they don't see me entering in? I assume you don't need to put the card in both regions.

2. Say the command of my force has the Surprise trait already. Like Johnston(which i assume he passes on to the entire army). Will him having this Surprise trait make using the card wasteful or will using the card give a boost to the surprise chance? If so, how much of a boost does it give?

3. If my opponent has the surprise trait as well, does they counteract each other or the card played?

4. Say a division commander has the surprise trait but the army and corps commander does not. I assume, just that one division will be effected. I assume the surprise trait means your army has a chance to fire first to essentially catch your foe off guard. If that said division is in a supporting corps and it moves up to reinforce a battle is that trait even useful because the battle is already initiated?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

1. It goes in the region with the unit you want to screen.

2.Surpriser has nothing to do with the effect of the Cavalry Screen. During combat the Surpriser increases the chance of units under his command to fire first.

3. Two Surprisers may cancel each other. It's a random number, so one may still surprise and the other not outdo the roll.

4. Yes.

Three factors affect game play, hide, detection and evasion. Your units and basically the number of cavalry present affect detection. When you cursor over an enemy stack, you may not get very much info or you may getunit names, commanders and power numbers. Large units. like Corps and Armies may only have a Hide number of 1. A unit with a high detection number will spot them easily. You can see these numbers for your own units. Click on a unit and check out the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. You'll see an icon of a stick figure with an outline behind it and next to this the Hide number. Below this is an icon like a head with a telescope and next to this is the detection number. Below these is a bulls-eye icon with the evasion number. The better the evasion number, the more easily the unit can escape contact with an enemy.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

lightbrave
Captain

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 pm

[quote="Gray Fox"]

2.Surpriser has nothing to do with the effect of the Cavalry Screen. During combat the Surpriser increases the chance of units under his command to fire first.

Are you saying Durk is wrong in regards to Cavalry Screen giving you a chance to surprise or are you saying there is a separate chance for surprise (if my army commander already has the trait) and that the trait and card do not add up to give a better chance?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:09 am

Durk meant the concept of surprise, i.e., "add surprise...to your attack". So you play the RGD and sneak a force through enemy lines to attack something undefended behind the lines. My reply was to your question about the Surpriser ability and the cavalry screen. During combat, the Surpriser abilitiy gives that commander's units a better chance to fire first. The RGD just adds to your units' Hide number.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Return to “Civil War II”