Glitch
Private

Number of divisions within corps

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Hello all,

Is it more advantageous to have, say, 3 divisions at 75% strength instead of 2 divisions at 100% strength?

How does the number of divisions in a corps affect battle mechanics? I'm essentially trying to determine whether it's better to have 3 corps with 2 divisions each, or 2 corps with 3 divisions each and whether number of divisions is better than a few very strong divisions.

Thank you!

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Number of divisions within corps

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:03 am

Unfortunately, the AGEWiki has apparently been hacked and gutted, so the links to the "combat explained" thread are of no worth. Here is what I remember from the Wiki. A unit, like a Division, engages in combat. The elements of the Division fight individually and win or lose. If they lose too much cohesion or hits, then the element will withdraw or rout. Too many of these routers and the whole Division withdraws or routs. Thus, a few strong Divisions with your best troops beat a lot of weaker ones. Another factor is the leadership boost. The stack and Division commander can add a few percentage points to the overall combat power of elements in battle. Grant will simply do better for as many Divisions as he can get than having some of the Divisions in an additional stack commanded by say, Baker. It makes more sense to have strong Divisions led by your best one stars and in a stack commanded by your best 2 or 3 star than to do otherwise. Also, it helps to have one artillery Division per stack. These are expensive, so this would keep the number of stacks down.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

pgr
General of the Army

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Just to add, if I remember correctly elements in a division "share" hits amongst themselves. (Something like after recieving 5 hits additional hits get applied to other elements in the division. )

So a bigger division = larger hit pool and harder for individual elements to be overwhelemed. So i would say better to have fewer bigger divisions in a stack than multiple small ones.

How many divisions shold a stack have? Usualy as many as the command limit allows, but it varies on how much ground you need to cover.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:58 pm

As a general rule, always concentrate your forces in as few and as large of containers (units and stacks) as possible. In Army/Corps combat, try to keep the maximum number of elements in each division (17).

richfed

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:04 pm

I usually keep my divisions completely filled up & use 3 or 4 of them in each Corps.

Return to “Civil War II”