Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Question about brigades

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:23 am

Basically, what I'm wanting to know is once I've recruited and placed upon the field all the brigades from a particular state that are available to me in 1861, do more brigades appear later? For example; I've 4 South Carolina brigades on the map - Anderson's, Ripley's, Drayton's & Kershaw's - do more South Carolina brigades become available later, or is that it? State by state, how does this process work exactly?

Captain_Orso

Re: Question about brigades

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:22 am

Brigades are allocated to your build-pools through events, which IIRC are complete about mid-'61.

The pools can be associated with a home state, or an home area such as Mid-Atlantic or Deep-South, which determine where the units may be built. There are also a few pools which are unrestricted by home states or areas.

The build-pools determine how many of which type of unit may be build. Once these pools are allocated, they do not change. Once all units of a pool are built, no further units of that pool may be built, unless one of those units are destroyed, in which case it may be rebuilt*.

Some units associated with pools may be allocated to you directly through events, in which case their numbers are subtracted from their associated pool as if you had built those units yourself.

* If you lose all valid build locations associated with a pool, for example Kentucky for Kentucky units, you may not build any of those units until you have recaptured at least one valid build location associated with that pool.

The state and area associations are to prevent the player from building a completely unrealistic number of units from just a couple locations, and limit (especially the CS player) from building more units than populations available to man those units. Otherwise the CS player could build all of his Kentucky units in Alabama after losing Kentucky and having no access to Kentucky's population, or building Texas units in Virginia.

Some units have build requirements, such as needing a structure within their associated state which produces WS (War Supply). Some of these units have alternate build locations. These alternate build locations do not allow you to build these units if you lose their associated state, but if their associated state does not provide the WS requirement, they may be build in the alternate build area, if a state in the alternate build area does provide the WS requirement.

Of the top of my head I can think of Iowa Artillery, which require WS, but at the start of the war and unless you build some WS producing factories, you will not be able to build these units in IA. Until some WS producing factories in IA are setup, IA Artillery can be build in the neighboring North-West States (IL, WI, MN).

At any rate, regardless of whether building with their associated state or area or alternate build area, if you select a pool in <F11> the map will highlight all the valid build locations for the selected pool in green. You may Drag-n-Drop™ a unit from the selected pool into one of the green regions to plans its build.

Brigadier General

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks for the answer!

I'm curious as to why Barksdale's brigade isn't included on the Mississippi roster. I think I read on here a few months back that it (only?) becomes available if Richmond is pretty much surrounded, and if that is the case, it really shouldn't be.

Captain_Orso

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Barksdale's Bde. is a unit generated per an event.

The Unit definitions are set up so that all brigade units associated with the same state share a single set of Unit Names, regardless of the size of the brigade.

Using Alabama as an example, AL has 3 different types of brigades, Inf-Inf-Art-Cav, Inf-Inf-Art, and Inf-Inf. Regardless of which of those 3 unit types is built first, that unit will get the first name in their list of unit names. The next unit build will get the next name, etc.

If Barksdale's Bde. were included in that list and were coincidentally built before the event fired, which gives the CS player Barksdale's Bde, the CS player would end up with two units with the same name. So units you get per event are never (at least never on purpose) given names from the Unit Name list.

Brigadier General

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Am I right in saying that in the 1861 full theatre campaign, Mississippi, for example, only has 4 brigades (Baldwin's, Featherston's, TM. Jones', and Statham's) available for the entire duration of the war?

Captain_Orso

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Blood and Thunder Brigade wrote:Am I right in saying that in the 1861 full theatre campaign,

There are two full campaigns (two theaters campaigns), the April '61 Full Campaign, and the July '61 Full Campaign.

Blood and Thunder Brigade wrote:Mississippi, for example, only has 4 brigades (Baldwin's, Featherston's, TM. Jones', and Statham's) available for the entire duration of the war?

As I previously stated, with regards to units you build, there is no direct association between the name a unit is given and the brigade type. Asking after player built units by their name is there for pointless.

The July Campaign basically assumes the actions the player might have taken up to that point in time had he/she been playing the April Campaign. After July '61 there is no difference between the two scenarios.

So if we look at the unit pools of the July Campaign we should know what units are available. The July Campaign uses the "..\CW2\Includes\July61EarlyForcePool.inc" include script to set the unit pools.

Here we find that the CS player get the following Mississippi units in her pools (only infantry brigades are listed):
uni_CSA_Bde3MS x 4; consists of 4 infantry and an artillery
uni_CSA_Bde5MS x 3; consists of 3 infantry and an artillery

These are all the infantry brigades that can ever be build in Mississippi.

Return to “Civil War II”