pgr
General of the Army

Aid-de-campe

Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 am

Does anyone have a good idea how the ADC mechanic works?

In theory an unattached leader in a stack with a strat rating of 4 and above will up an Army's CP limit, but this doesn't always seem to happen. Hooker in McDowell's early army has no impact from what i have seen.

Does the stack leader's strat rating come into play? (As in Butler can have the best ADC in existence but it wont help him because of his own horrid self? ) Or is the AdC a broken feature?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Aid-de-campe

Fri May 05, 2017 2:45 pm

I too have wondered about this.

From the AgeodWiki for AACW:

"An army headquarters that includes a capable aide de camp (A leader with a strategic rating of 4+ in the army stack who does not command any troops): 1 + 1 to all subordinate corps"

I just did a test with an Army under McClellan in command of two Corps under Sumner (Required Command 8/Provided Command 15) and Halleck (Required 7/Provided 15). I added Kearny with a strat of 5 and no units under his command to McClellan's Army stack. The CP's of the two Corps did not change even though Kearny met the criteria for ADC. I tried removing Corps command and then adding it to see if the CPs would be recalculated. No change was noted. The bottom line is that I could find no evidence that ADC works in CW2.

Rod Smart
Colonel

Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Does the Aide need to be the same star level as the commanding general?

An unattached three star 1864 Sherman should increase Grant's stack.
An unattached one star 1861 post-Bull Run Sherman should not increase McDowell's stack.

I'm just guessing. I've never heard of this before. I keep extra generals stacks as often as I can, but only for the +CPs and as backup in case someone gets shot. I did not know they were supposed to increase strategic skills.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 05, 2017 3:53 pm

The description does not indicate that the Aid-de-Camp should be another three star.

Up to four star's worth of Generals can add Command Points to one stack. This is a different effect. So early in the game, it might be useful to put four one-star Generals (8 CPs) and a Signal unit (2 CPs) in one stack for a mini-Corps of 10 CPs. Similarly, a few extra Generals in an Army or Corps increase the stack's CPs. These all work. However, the ADC is supposed to be present in the Army stack and increase CPs in the Corps stacks for that Army. This doesn't appear to be working in CW2. The ADC is not supposed to increase Strategic skill, to my knowledge.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 06, 2017 6:53 pm

P.S. I tried ADC with AACW and it didn't work there either.

Captain_Orso

Sun May 07, 2017 4:34 am

Aid de Camp my be one of those "abilities" which only become apparent the turn after they are applied. IE check the army's CP's add the AdC, and run the turn and check the army's CP again. IIRC it does work.

I've seldom used it, because 1. at the time when I need an AdC, I never have any spare leaders with a 4 strategic value that I couldn't better use as a Corps or Division commander, and 2. when I have a spare such leader, I don't need him any more, because my issue is then to get enough good Corps and Division commanders into Corps and Division commands, and fill those Corps up.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 07, 2017 3:13 pm

I ran it for several turns and observed no change.

Return to “Civil War II”