benmilam
Civilian

Trying to love game but overwhelmed

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:17 pm

When I read about this game it sounded fun. I have to say, and I think I suffer from adult ADD, but game seems chaotic and not sure how people play this. Don't get me wrong, I can read from the reviews, it is a great game, but wondering how people play this. I watched a few videos and they look fine when someone is moving a few pieces. Anyway, had to vent. Will keep trying. lol

havi
Colonel

Re: Trying to love game but overwhelmed

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:00 pm

Hello

Just take one small step at the time, play scenarios against athena and learn the basics it is quit easy actually. How to buy the chips and recruit the troops, and when u think u are ready play a pbem with somebody here we all are ready to help you. When u start Pbem u learn all the time something new and there isnt greater feeling than have your operations succeed and see those boys of blue running back to DC... :dada: Just keep going and ask if there is something u dont understand we all will help you. :cthulhu:

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:32 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum benmilam.

No doubt about it; this game is a beast. Lots of depth. It takes some time to learn, but its worth it in the end.

What scenario did you start off with? Did you jump straight into the grand campaign?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:01 am

Welcome Ben! Don't sweat the deep end of the game. Just have fun. Play a short scenario or just run some turns and then reload as the AI side (we call the AI Athena) and see what she has done. There are a lot of bells and whistles, but don't let that get in your way. In addition to a great game, you have found a great forum for discussing and learning the game. Good luck!

LCcmdr
Captain

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Welcome!

Yes, this game is.....INTENSE, and for that reason I sometimes have to walk away for hours (or days) before returning. IMO, the magnitude of my errors just grates on me. And, it's not easy to redo a turn. Even when I've tried, I forget many of the dozens, hundreds, or thousands little instructions or changes that I had made--so something else goes wrong.

OTOH, this level of micro-mgmt is one reason I love the game. It allows an amazing level of complexity in creating the environment for success. It allows bluffing, gambling, tactics, and strategy. Oh, and it also provides humiliation!!!!

Great game.

Glad to meet another sufferer along the way.... :dada:

Return to “Civil War II”