kumpy1
Conscript

Re: Promotions

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:24 am

Here is a zip file containing the 3 model files, the 3 unit files, and the 2 alias files.

Thanks for your help

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00101325065374562355

Captain_Orso

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Okay, I've found 2 possible errors.

1. in the 'mdl_Alias.ini' and 'uni_Alias.ini' files, instead of adding a new entry, simply use one of the place-holder entries; that's what they're there for. I don't know the reasoning, but I imagine there must be some.

EG in 'mdl_Alias.ini' delete the line you added '$ldr_CSA_Forrest3 = 870' and change '$ldr_CSA_BrigGen = 836' to '$ldr_CSA_Forrest3 = 836' and modify the model files in accordance.

Do basically the same thing for the Unit. Delete the Cache files and before restarting the game.

2. Don't give Forrest 7-7-4. I don't think models are allowed to have above 6 naturally, but I may be wrong, and maybe the issues in 1. are the only issues.

DrPostman

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:11 am

Captain_Orso wrote:2. Don't give Forrest 7-7-4. I don't think models are allowed to have above 6 naturally, but I may be wrong, and maybe the issues in 1. are the only issues.

Isn't Little Crow a 7-7-7?
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Captain_Orso

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:03 pm

No, he's 6-4-4.

kumpy1
Conscript

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Well, I tried these things, and no luck. Started a new game, battled with Forrest to raise his seniority. Promoted him to 2 stars, battled some more. Got his seniority up to 1, can't promote. I tried it with his stats at 6 6 2 like baseline, no difference. Incidentally, I've adjusted RE Lee to 7-7-4 before and it worked fine for him, so I don't think the 7 is the problem. There is obviously some other aspect not readily visible in the game preventing him from promoting. Based on the files for the other promotable generals, this SHOULD work, but doesn't. Might need a dev to clear it up.

lodilefty

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:13 pm

kumpy1 wrote:Well, I tried these things, and no luck. Started a new game, battled with Forrest to raise his seniority. Promoted him to 2 stars, battled some more. Got his seniority up to 1, can't promote. I tried it with his stats at 6 6 2 like baseline, no difference. Incidentally, I've adjusted RE Lee to 7-7-4 before and it worked fine for him, so I don't think the 7 is the problem. There is obviously some other aspect not readily visible in the game preventing him from promoting. Based on the files for the other promotable generals, this SHOULD work, but doesn't. Might need a dev to clear it up.

Forrest has MaxRank set = 2, so he'll never go higher. He uses two different model/units to allow different abilities/attributes....
Lee is set MaxRank = 4

additionally, they have multiple Model/Unit sets, for each rank. Some generals are promotable due to multiple models, some have "inherent" promotability. The design difference is usually [not always] to allow different abilities or attributes at each rank, to reflect promotion above their "ability"..

Confused? I was too for about two game dev "cycles"..... :bonk:

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:02 am

I believe that you need to update the mdl_Alias.ini and the uni_Alias.ini inside the CW2/Aliases folder in addition to the files located in the unit and model folders.

You also have a typo in the 870 model file, 'Ability2 = $abiGoodSub_Cmf', that Cmf should be Cmd.

I changed those and it worked for me.

Also, if you want Forrest to be a god of war then you should remove the surpriser trait (it does nothing) and the patriotic trait. I'd recommend replacing them with Hannibal's eagle eye trait if you aim to never have Forrest lose a battle. :siffle:

Little Crow is technically a 6-4-4, but he starts with 4 levels of experience so he is really a 6-6-6. :indien:

kumpy1
Conscript

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:00 am

Editing the alias files in the alias folder was the missing link. That worked. Thanks for all your help!

DrPostman

Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:55 am

Captain_Orso wrote:No, he's 6-4-4.

I guess he turned out that way because I was playing with randomized stats.

csiemers
Sergeant

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:20 pm

kumpy1 wrote:Well, I tried these things, and no luck. Started a new game, battled with Forrest to raise his seniority. Promoted him to 2 stars, battled some more. Got his seniority up to 1, can't promote. I tried it with his stats at 6 6 2 like baseline, no difference. Incidentally, I've adjusted RE Lee to 7-7-4 before and it worked fine for him, so I don't think the 7 is the problem. There is obviously some other aspect not readily visible in the game preventing him from promoting. Based on the files for the other promotable generals, this SHOULD work, but doesn't. Might need a dev to clear it up.

Who on the Union side are you promoting? Be curious how you keep a fair balance between the sides and their generals.

Captain_Orso

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 pm

lodilefty wrote:

Forrest has MaxRank set = 2, so he'll never go higher. He uses two different model/units to allow different abilities/attributes....
Lee is set MaxRank = 4

additionally, they have multiple Model/Unit sets, for each rank. Some generals are promotable due to multiple models, some have "inherent" promotability. The design difference is usually [not always] to allow different abilities or attributes at each rank, to reflect promotion above their "ability"..

Confused? I was too for about two game dev "cycles"..... :bonk:

Kumpy had already changed the * and ** Forrest models to MaxRank = 3, so that shouldn't be this issue.

I can only find 2 Forrest models in the unmodded game files, * and **, and none in parallel at the same rank with different values/abilities. Same with Robert E. Lee, except the ranks are *** and ****.

In fact, the only leader I can find with multiple models at the same rank but different values is 'George B. McClellan', and the differences in his models are only in their political values.

I did find one bug though, in the 'George B. McClellan' models. His 'Rank = 2' model doesn't have the TechUpg parameter. So it appears Maj.Gen. McClellan can only be promoted per event, as if that was ever going to happen :mdr: .... :blink: . It should be fixed though, just to be consistent Image.

The only thing I can think of at the moment, which might prevent Forrest from being promoted, is that his on-map values are taking precedence over the values in the model/cache files.

You did delete the .Cache files after installing the modded .mdl and .ini files and before starting up the game again, right Kumply?

EDIT: I was just thinking, it's probably on purpose that ** McClellan doesn't have the TechUpg parameter, because if he ever did actually get promoted--THAT would be a well deserved promotion indeed--it might break all the events involving him getting offered the AoP and put in charge. So it's probably WAD Image
Last edited by Captain_Orso on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain_Orso

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Cardinal Ape wrote:I believe that you need to update the mdl_Alias.ini and the uni_Alias.ini inside the CW2/Aliases folder in addition to the files located in the unit and model folders.

You also have a typo in the 870 model file, 'Ability2 = $abiGoodSub_Cmf', that Cmf should be Cmd.

I changed those and it worked for me.

Also, if you want Forrest to be a god of war then you should remove the surpriser trait (it does nothing) and the patriotic trait. I'd recommend replacing them with Hannibal's eagle eye trait if you aim to never have Forrest lose a battle. :siffle:

Little Crow is technically a 6-4-4, but he starts with 4 levels of experience so he is really a 6-6-6. :indien:

Ahhh yes, and if you play on AI level Colonel, all AI leaders get +(1-1-1), so 7-7-7 :sourcil:

principes romanes
Sergeant

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:38 am

I've had a game where the McClellan promotion event failed to fire, then he got some experience putting him up to seniority 1 and not promotable.
Currently writing:
The Coming Fury - an excessively detailed AAR on Union strategy

Return to “Civil War II”