James W. Starnes
Corporal

Problems with the new update.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Fixed, thank you Paul! Here is the solution for those of you having the same graphical problems:

VPaulus wrote:For those experiencing blur, lag (buttons and map) and other graphical glitches, please try removing the DX wrapper that we have added in the last patch.
Open the game installation folder and find two files, d3d8.dll and enbconvertor.ini. Rename then as _d3d8.dll and _enbconvertor.ini.
Run the game and check if the issue persists.

dhy
Private

Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:15 pm

* NOTE: DIDN'T REALIZE AT THE TIME OF MY POST THAT THERE WAS A NEW UPDATE. *

I have the steam version and didn't play any older versions (unless a new update came out within the past few days then we're using the same and same OS (win 10)).

"- First, when I open the game, it crashes as it's loading textures. A message with 3 different messages pops up, but sadly I wasn't able to copy and paste it. However, the second time I open it, it always works for some reason."

Don't remember any crashes when I first loaded it, but does crash randomly and normally while in a turn.

"- Secondly, a lot of the sound effects have been bugged for me. When the cursor hovers over the unit selection, decisions, etc. it doesn't make a sound effect. "

Haven't noticed any issues with sound, myself.

"- Thirdly, the game appears to run a bit slower, but I haven't gotten any crashes as of yet like I did before. I'm using a GTX 1070 and Windows 10 Home. "

Turns are slow but I expect that playing against the AI.

For the rest, the graphics appear fine to me as well, but I've only played the recent steam version. My video card is pretty weak compared to yours (only 128meg), but I have 12 gigs of system memory and an SSD so I imagine that helps quite a bit.

DrPostman

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:24 am

Glad I didn't update. I'm running Win7 on a laptop that 5 years old with an onboard
graphics chip, so it doesn't seem like it's something I really need to do. Correct me
if I'm wrong but this update is mostly to deal with DirectX 11 issues, right?
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

James W. Starnes
Corporal

Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:42 am

DrPostman wrote:Glad I didn't update. I'm running Win7 on a laptop that 5 years old with an onboard
graphics chip, so it doesn't seem like it's something I really need to do. Correct me
if I'm wrong but this update is mostly to deal with DirectX 11 issues, right?

Yes, and it seems to be a lot more stable, so I'm assuming that's what they were aiming for. Best thing to do is to wait and let the developers resolve some of these issues, they have been doing a lot of good, hard work on their other games.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:51 am

@James W. Starnes, I got my graphics to go back to the old version by deleting 'd3d8.dll' from my CW2 install. I would recommend that you not do this since you seem to be having less crashes with the new version, but if the graphics bother you more than the crashes you could delete the file. However, the new font in the message log is not a bug, its a feature...

@DrPostman, The only change I've come across is the new message font, gameplay seems the same.

Blutch
Major

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:28 pm

I have the same issues than James W. Starnes, especially the graphics of lower quality is annoying. For information I have also a GTX 1070.

James W. Starnes
Corporal

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:33 pm

[ATTACH]39888[/ATTACH]

I was able to capture the image I described above with the first issue.
Attachments
Capture.PNG

Blutch
Major

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:37 pm

No crash from upgrading by my side.

dhy
Private

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:50 pm

Sorry, I guess there was a new update just pushed out, and i haven't tried it yet and sounds like I don't want to!

tribeticus
Captain

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:41 pm

From what I see the patch has been fixed, the only thing different aside from some basic presentation is the chevrons and general's insignias for the unit files are hard to see. But otherwise the game is playable again.

packersfanmw87
Corporal

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:38 pm

I'm having the same problems graphically. Clicking buttons don't respond as smoothly as before and the graphics are blurred and messed up. Has it been fixed in the last few hours??

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:39 pm

Having similar problems here.

Sadly, this is typical. One step forward, two steps back. I'm hopeful that the problem is related to the antiquated game engine - that there's something inherent in the game engine that means fixing one thing often breaks something else - and that the new engine will alleviate that. Hate to think it's just recurring poor QC - the new engine can't fix that.

tribeticus
Captain

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:36 pm

Strangely the order of the units in the recruitment screen are all reversed, going from strongest to weakest left to right instead of the other way around.

packersfanmw87
Corporal

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:42 am

Yeah, noticed that...also in the stacks the units outside of divisions (for me, I keep artillery at the corps/stack level) is all mixed up...a supply unit, then artillery unit, then another supply, then maybe a HQ unit, then another artillery...strange.

pearley
Civilian

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:20 pm

I have all the same issues that have been mentioned above. Can the developers not simply reverse the latest update and put it back to what it was before ?

grimjaw
General

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:34 pm

Can the developers not simply reverse the latest update and put it back to what it was before ?

Generally speaking, the problem with doing this is update bloat. If you back up everything that's changed on every update, the disk space used is going to pile up. The new update would have to include rolling back to the previous update, and the previous update to the one before that and so on. If the end user decided to remove one or more of those updates, the automated uninstall wouldn't work correctly or would have to be written so as to trap for those error conditions. It would get really hairy and be time-consuming to write code for. With a game like CW2 where saved games and potential mods are kept separate from the necessary game files, much easier for all involved just to tell the user to uninstall the game, reinstall, and then apply the last known good patch.

After hearing of potential problems I have not applied the most recent update, so I haven't seen what's included or applied. If the update included an uninstall script, it might be possible to roll it back using that through add/remove. If no automated uninstall script was included, even applying the older 1.06 update might not (probably won't) update the necessary files.

VPaulus
Civilian

Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm

For those experiencing blur, lag (buttons and map) and other graphical glitches, please try removing the DX wrapper that we have added in the last patch.
Open the game installation folder and find two files, d3d8.dll and enbconvertor.ini. Rename then as _d3d8.dll and _enbconvertor.ini.

packersfanmw87
Corporal

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:47 am

That worked for me....much better!!!

pearley
Civilian

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:12 am

I play the game via steam. Where do I find the game installation folder ?

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 am

pearley wrote:I play the game via steam. Where do I find the game installation folder ?

Open your Steam Library, right click on Civil War 2, click on 'properties'. Then select the 'Local Files' tab. Finally, select the 'Browse Local Files' box. That should open up the folder in a new window.

pearley
Civilian

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:04 am

OK thanks

So, I have found d3d8.dll

But the enbconvertor file doesn't end in .ini. do I just rename it with the _ at the start?

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:34 pm

pearley wrote:OK thanks

So, I have found d3d8.dll

But the enbconvertor file doesn't end in .ini. do I just rename it with the _ at the start?

Yes.

wrlertola
Corporal

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Renaming these did the job. Thank you!

James W. Starnes
Corporal

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:04 pm

VPaulus wrote:For those experiencing blur, lag (buttons and map) and other graphical glitches, please try removing the DX wrapper that we have added in the last patch.

Much better, thank you sir. ;)

pearley
Civilian

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:32 am

Yes, worked for me too.

Thanks for the help.

Doscatorce
Civilian

Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:42 am

I am having the same issue as James's graphic shown above. I have uninstalled three times and re-installed. Was able to play about about 8 rounds (JULY 1861), saved and signed off. Upon returning, the program crashes as it runs up to 72% texture, and I get the above notice. I have been playing about 1.5 years with no issues until this latest update. Running windows 7.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any advice.

Floyd
Conscript

Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:07 am

Heve you checked the logfile?
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Civil War II\CW2\Logs

darioVMannstein
Corporal

Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:16 am

I do not have crashes yet but its seems a bit laggy, very slow that I can tell you pals :S

ross42899
Civilian

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Hello! i just registered here because since the latest patch I have some issues with the game.

I experience some of the issues mentioned above too. Most notably the small icons on the unit cards (like General's stars and chevrons) are barely visible for me since the latest patch and the unit recruitment list is messed up/in wrong order.

I never had any issues before the lastes update.

I tried this solution:

But it only forces my game to crash during the loading screen, when it starts up.

I'm using the steam version of the game. Windows 7 64 bit professional, Intel Q9450 2.66 ghz processor, Geforce GTX 750 ti graphics card, if this helps

I would really appreciate it, if there was another solution or an upcoming patch to fix these issues.

Return to “Civil War II”