tribeticus
Captain

Grant, Sherman, Lee 4-Star Promotions

Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:20 pm

Anybody know how these generals can get promoted to 4-stars? Is it automatic? Any idea what file controls this, I am assuming it can be edited.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:19 pm

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Leaders

"Next comes the three ranks (both naval and land have three ranks, 1*, 2* and 3*..."

So to my knowledge, this would not be possible without modding the game somehow.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

tribeticus
Captain

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Gray Fox wrote:http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Leaders

"Next comes the three ranks (both naval and land have three ranks, 1*, 2* and 3*..."

So to my knowledge, this would not be possible without modding the game somehow.

Weird as there are model files for the 4 star and tech upgrades from the 3 to 4 star

The upgrades should be possible, even shows it in the leader info page in the game

Nikel

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:35 pm

It is possible for Lee in the CSA and Grant and Sherman for USA.

Apparently Lee will not change. Grant gains the “Strategist” ability and Sherman loses the “Fast Move” ability (with respect to 3 stars, because there are also more changes from 2 to 3).

I suppose it happens like any other promotions.

tribeticus
Captain

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:38 pm

At what point? I have had them all at seniority 1 and winning big battles but never getting the upgrade to happen

Nikel

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:59 pm

I do not know. This is what the wiki says:

To promote a leader to a new rank, it is specifically needed that:
He is potentially promotable (the database must have an entry for his new grade). This is indicated by a 'Yes' in the 'Is Promotable' line, element detail window.
He has a seniority of 1 or 2 in his current rank OR
He has gained 4 points of seniority since he appeared on map (the base seniority is under brackets in the the Element Detail Window, top panel section).

But Lee with a seniority of 4, only could get 3 points , because there is not 0, is there?

Lee will gain VP and POL values by the way, if you are curious all this info is in the model excel file in the database

tribeticus
Captain

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Right, that is the only thing I could come up with, that their seniority is so high at 3 star that they cannot gain enough seniority to go up to 4-star.

I suppose a way to correct this would be to make their seniority start at 5 in the model file for these generals when they turn to 3 star, then they have enough room to upgrade. I just figured the dev's would have accounted for that.

tribeticus
Captain

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:07 pm

Looking at the model files, Grant starts at seniority 8 when he gets promoted to 3 star, so there should be plenty of room for him to upgrade, yet even when he goes all the way to seniority 1 he cannot upgrade.

That is why I figured that it might be changed by event or only available after a certain time period in the game, however I have found nothing in the games files to support this which leaved me confused.

BUT he should definitely be promotable to 4-star.

grimjaw
General

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:07 pm

Per the developers, 4-star rank isn't implemented in CW2.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?40084-Faux-4-star-generals-is-it-there-or-not

I have tested the 4-star promotion but it doesn't exactly work the way you'd hope or expect. I don't think it's something I can mod, since the relevant part is in the engine.

Nikel

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 pm

But Lee is a 4 stars General in Gettysburg scenario.

tribeticus
Captain

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Nikel wrote:But Lee is a 4 stars General in Gettysburg scenario.

Yeah I noticed that too. Bizarre, it seems like it wants to work...

grimjaw
General

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:10 pm

It's like Phil says in his post in the link, it's a faux 4-star. I've highlighted the relevant lines in Lee's model below. He's still rank 3, but they set his rank badge up as a 4-star. You could replace 'symbol_general_4.png' with 20 stars if you want; Lee's still rank 3 for game purposes. It's WAD, but it's poorly implemented, IMO. The only thing that will keep him above other 3-stars is his seniority, which still means he can be tied with them.

Code: Select all

UID = 244
NationTag = CSA
Name = Robert E. Lee
Alias = ldr_CSA_RELee4
ShortName = R.E.Lee
Text = $ldr_txt_CSA_RELee
Family = $famLeader
[I][B]ImageID = symbol_general_4.png[/B][/I]
Color = $colCSARegular
Portrait = Unit_CSA_RELee.png
OffFire = 1
DefFire = 1
Initiative = 10
Range = 1
ROF = 1
Penetration = 0
Protection = 4
TQ = 10
Assault = 2
Hits = 1
MenPerHit = 1
HorsesPerHit = 0
GunsPerHit = 0
Cohesion = 80
DmgDone = 0
CohDone = 0
AsltDmgDone = 0
AsltCohDone = 0
Move Type = $Ranger
Move Ratio = 100
CohMove = 100
AtrMove = 100
BaseCohLoss = 22
BaseAttrition = 22
DetectLand = 0
DetectSea = 0
Blockade = 0
HideValue = 3
Weight = 0
ProgRate = 10
Police = 0
Patrol = 1
Evasion = 30
CapturePerc = 0
IsSupport = 1
SupplyUsage = 0
SupplyStore = 0
AmmoUsage = 0
AmmoStore = 0
ShareSupply = 1
SupHitPen = 0
SupMovePen = 0
SupCbtPen = 0
Ability0 = $abiGenius_Lee
Ability1 = $abiFast_Move
Ability2 = $abiReckless
Ability3 = $abiSiege_Expert
Ability4 = $abiStrategist
Ability5 = $abiBeloved_By_Army
VPValue = 25
POLValue = 100
[I][B]LeaderRank = 3[/B][/I]
Seniority = 2
MaxRank = 4
CanBeGHQStack = 1
CanBeHQStack = 1
Title = General
LandLeader = 1
Strategic = 6
Offensive = 5
Defensive = 5
CustomNames = 'Marse'

Nikel

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:33 pm

Yes, it is false because there is not overall command over several armies due to the engine limitation, but still it make him different from other generals, and from himself as a 3 star General.

grimjaw
General

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:08 pm

but still it make him different from other generals, and from himself as a 3 star General.

That's true, but the difference is only cosmetic. As far as the engine is concerned, rank 3 is like any other rank 3. Example: you have that faux 4-star Lee in a scenario along with 3-star Beauregard. If you sit Lee somewhere and his seniority doesn't change (the starting seniority for that model is 2), and Beauregard moves up to seniority 1 through combat, 3-star Beauregard now outranks faux 4-star Lee.

Captain_Orso

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:53 pm

One might try modding 4-star Lee to 'LeaderRank = 4' to see if that has an effect, and works at all. Then mod Johnston or Beauregard to 'Seniority = 1' and see who is in charge.

grimjaw
General

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:11 pm

One might try modding 4-star Lee to 'LeaderRank = 4' to see if that has an effect, and works at all.

As I mentioned previously I have done this, but to get a little more information I just did it again.

I used an otherwise unmodified game, version 1.06. The only values I edited were the entries for C.Hamilton's model, 'LeaderRank', 'MaxRank' and 'Seniority'. For all these, Hamilton's MaxRank = 4.

1st test: Hamilton given LeaderRank = 4, Seniority = 1. Result: Hamilton outranks McDowell (rank 3, seniority 9)
2nd test: Hamilton given LeaderRank = 4, Seniority = 10. Result: McDowell outranks Hamilton.
3rd test: for grins, Hamilton given LeaderRank = 4, Seniority = 112. Result, Hamilton outranks Morell (rank 1, seniority 93)

The potential issue of rank 4s being outranked by rank 3s still exists, so there's no practical reason to use rank 4. Their faux 4-stars work just as well with the current engine, if not better.

Unrelated to all this, I did notice something interesting. I didn't update the 'ImageID' value in Hamilton's model file. It found that rank 3 badge on its own somehow.

[ATTACH]39713[/ATTACH]

Return to “Civil War II”